Ultimate retirement location

Kudos to you WW (well actually I tried buy I need to spread some more around first...)

This gets me thinking...

Some acquaintances of ours in the nearby area moved in around 1968 I think it was when the land was released. They have extended three times and now have a house that will be rather too big for them in their twilight years. But they love the location and have many connections to the place so will hang on for as long as possible. They have a wonderful retirement full of family and friends - their best retirement location is where they have always lived as a family. I reckon we will be the same.

Currently our house is too small (by modern standards in this area) for us and the two kids as they grow up. With the kids being very young now it's fine but it will get squeezy soon.

Our kids grandparents aren't too far away as well as our friends. The location is coastal and ideal for us. The old school big block and pool are great.

Thinking long term, after the kids leave home it will actually be a very nice size for us again. So we are going to try and give modern standards the finger and squeeze our way through in our little house. Hopefully it will help us all get along! It will certainly help our investment prospects if we don't succumb to the temptation to bowl the house over and put up a more "appropriate for the times" monstrosity. I reckon our chances might be around 50/50 but we'll give it a red hot go!

Hi Bill
Why wait till retirement to build a dual occ?
Virgo, I hear you but atm we want our privacy and space.
We won't be building. Our PPOR is a huge house, (5 bed, 3 bath ,2 living areas,) so we could close off 1 section and do some internal changes to convert it to dual occ.

Humidity in Brisbane is not as bad as FNQ or Darwin but IMO it's still disgusting in late spring/summer and I lived there for most of my life and grew up in CQ. I can't stand needing to take a cold shower after walking from the front door to the car

It gets better as you move south but I don't know where the best climate is, perhaps around Coffs Harbour?

Lived at Surfers for 2 years and cant believe the difference in weather to Brisbane. I have lived in Brisbane also and the summer is disgustingly hot, but surfers only varies about 5 deg between summer and winter, and only gets a bit sticky Jan/Feb. Buy something high up near the beach and get lovely sea breezes all day long, only had the air con on 3 times in 2 summers. Having said that we are back in Melb, and building our retirement home 2mins walk from the beach near Geelong. Hoping ducted heating and long walks on the beach will solve the freezing in winter problem. Economic crisis bought us back,. but now back here, enjoy family to much will not be retiring interstate thats for sure

Back