Unapproved granny flat in brisbane

Hi I am interested in purchasing a house which has a granny flat that i am not sure whether it has been certified.

The GF is 2 storey with 2 bedrooms, 1 kitchen and 1 bathroom. The total area of the GF is less than 65m2. It seems like it was built in the early 90's. The agents wasnt quite sure whether the GF has been approved or not but promised to find out and let me know.

My questions are

- what if the GF was not certified is it possible to get it certified in the future? From my understanding BCC does not allow GF, does it mean this GF will never be legal? How much is it going to cost assuming everything complies with the building code?

- if the GF is legal, can I rent it out to my homestay students? Pretty sure you cant rent out the GF separetely in BCC. How about homestay students? We currently have two students staying with us and are happy to move with us if we decide to move.

Thank you in advance for all your help :)

Hi

If they are part of your household then the use is ok. Homestay would be part of the same household.

RPI is in the know, I think it's now up to 80m sq and if you rent the whole property out including the granny you can lease all out in the one rental agreement up to 5 people I believe

Back