Under-floor heating

How much would you budget for under-floor electric heating for two average-sized bathrooms - say 8 m2 each - if the heating is being laid in tile adhesive (rather than in the screed)?

We've asked for it in our PPOR but the variation has come in quite a bit higher than we'd anticipated, so I'm curious what those in the know think would be a reasonable additional cost if this is done during the build.

Under floor heating for a place in Brissy? wow - the place is hot enough already surely? or are you one of those frogs who turn on the heater at the first breeze? :D

Fair point. No, I'm not a frog, I want it more for the drying than for the heat, and I've heard it's really helpful for keeping down mould and mildew, and there's nothing more annoying than manky grout. :)

How much would you budget for under-floor electric heating for two average-sized bathrooms - say 8 m2 each - if the heating is being laid in tile adhesive (rather than in the screed)?

We've asked for it in our PPOR but the variation has come in quite a bit higher than we'd anticipated, so I'm curious what those in the know think would be a reasonable additional cost if this is done during the build.

Depends on wiring. New circuits add to cost. Separate circuits etc...Not a retrofit friendly product really. Under tile is costly to install as its small sections that all must be joined and then when a fault occurs you have to find it etc... Breakages if walked on which is a must so count on a break or two especially tradies in workboots. Slows the tiling down a bit. Cheaper to run the slab systems which lay down fast but they cost lots to operate. Under tile system heat up faster. Control units with timers etc can be cheap or add to cost. Element is like a big TV. Area magnifies with size. So does operating cost and installation..

http://devexsystems-px.rtrk.com.au/system-installations.html describes various systems from slab, screed, mesh laid under tiles etc.

My best guess was $2K extra for a small bathroom all in.

Rolf's guesstimate was close to what I would have expected; it came in closer to Paul's $2K per bathroom... hmmmm.

Under floor heating is great for creating that sub tropical feel and don't some plants thrive in that atmosphere:eek:

Best heating we've ever had, although we do have cold winters in Adelaide! We've just finished the kitchen and dining area, about 40Sqm, and my husband did the laying and he said it was very easy. We had an electrician wire it up and that cost about $600 and the wires about $600 but the so we thought it very reasonable. I can't remember what the adhesive cost.

Ducted AC is easily the most effective way to heat, cool and Dry the air inside the house, could you put an air conditioning vent in there ?

residential ac is an air recycling system. You don't put ac in your bathroom only ever exhaust. Drawing moist air into your ac system can lead to nasty airborne infections.

have you tried an exhaust fan delay timer switch

attachment.php

vendor 1
vendor 2

turn the fan on with the light, turn the fan off 7 minutes after you turn off the light
everybody uses the light in the shower
the extra fan run time does wonders
great for ppor
and its almost tenant proof

relatively simple install
wire to power
wire to fan
wire to switched side of light switch

Attachments

• ventair-timer-300x300.jpg
    ventair-timer-300x300.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 203
residential ac is an air recycling system. You don't put ac in your bathroom only ever exhaust. Drawing moist air into your ac system can lead to nasty airborne infections.

Hi Scott,

You put an AC vent in there, this blows more air into the room which is then sucked out by the normal bathroom exhaust fan.

Works well for us :)

Back