Underfloor heating

Has anyone in Perth put in a large area of underfloor heating? I am wondering how expensive it is to put under tiles and if its worth the install and running costs.

I am thinking of doing 70sqm under ceramic or porcelain tile.

If you ever crack a tile and want to replace it it will be a nightmare getting the tile glue off without damaging the heating wires (whatever they are called)...

Happened in my mates apartment, he works for a tile company and new what he was doing...unfortunately the person he hired to remove the damaged tile and tile glue didnt...in the end it was way to hard to fix the damaged heating wires and it was left as is...heating in the entire apartment didnt work after that so became a waste of cash in the long run.

In saying that, it was great when it did work...if I was renting or buying in a cold area I would definately be happy to pay a little extra to have it...way better than air con that jus dries everything out.

I think Perth gets cold but then i have a medical condition that shuts down peripheral circulation, i need to replace the carpet due to allergies.

Maybe if a tile broke i would leave to save the heating.

anyone got costings?

yes I can't understand why we don't have more of the UK style hydro heating systems in our houses...anyone know why?
We have it throughout. It's a v. pleasant heat that stays low. And if the kids leave doors open, it stays warm.

It's worth it for under tiles.... fairly expensive to run (although we have a big area in cold climate).... and not especially hard to install - laying the pipework can be DIY.

We installed underfloor heating in wet area in our previous house. It was marvellous during winter and we did not notice any material increase in electricity bill.

Over the years we had to replace a couple tiles and had no problems with replacement. My hubby did DIY job.

We had Hydronic wall Radiator heating with a gas combi boiler (also handles the hot water) installed last winter. Costs a bit to install, but worth every cent. The house is warm all the time. We set the temp via a thermostat.

We need good heating in Goulburn as it gets damn cold .... This morning was minus 6c with a very heavy frost .... inside a warm 14c, .. which doesn't sound like much, but nice and toasty. We also had double glazing installed and the house is a 1925 double brick construction with 3.1m ceilings.

Mystery

We had Hydronic wall Radiator heating with a gas combi boiler (also handles the hot water) installed last winter. Costs a bit to install, but worth every cent. The house is warm all the time. We set the temp via a thermostat.

who on earth sells this in Australia? can it just be googled and bought froma a mainstream supplier or did you import your own?

here's one...

http://www.hydronicsupplies.com.au/Our_Products.phtml?cat=10

what would a full set up cost roughly?

You can also get infrared systems which have ceiling panels which are quite effective.

We've got this, and it's good. Unlike underfloor heating, it starts heating up a room quickly. It can be quite cost effective as you are not heating up rooms you are not using, until about 15 minutes before you start to use them.

who on earth sells this in Australia? can it just be googled and bought froma a mainstream supplier or did you import your own?

here's one...

http://www.hydronicsupplies.com.au/Our_Products.phtml?cat=10

what would a full set up cost roughly?
Ausprop, ... It is not underfloor heating that we have, but the wall mounted radiators that hot water is pumped through the units via an instantaneous gas wall mounted hot water unit. It is very good and all controlled through a thermostat. See link http://www.greenheat.com.au/conventional-hydronic

Anyway .. I digress .... We found a gas fitter/plumber/hydronic installer guy in Canberra who buys most of his materials through a Melbourne importer that get's the radiator units from Italy/Europe. It took him two days to do the whole job.

Cost: From memory to fit radiators through the whole house, install all water pipes plus install the gas combi boiler to heat the water that is circulated through the units as well as the general house hot water cost us just over$10,000 in total.

You have zero noise, no air blowing around your ears and a healthy dry heat ... Brilliant. We have the thermostat set for 7 time zones which regulates the temp without us thinking about it and can be manually overridden at anytime.

The fact we also installed double glazing and the house is double brick means we keep the inside temp between 14c-16c. Overnight we have it set down to 10c (although the house never gets this cold) and then it kicks in again around 5am back up to 14c. We walk around the house in shorts and t-shirt even when the temp is in the minus temps outside.

We are about to do a complete reno of our bathroom and Laundry and we are looking to put Hydronic underfloor heating into these rooms. As we have the boiler already installed that is capable of handling extra capacity it will keep the cost down to add the additional options.

If the underfloor option is too expensive we'll just add a wall radiator in each room.

Mystery

Back