Understand the math ~ Diet vs Exercise

They're more like assimilation days where the 'uber fit' try to assimilate with the rest of the rabble (says he who has just polished off Easter lunch).

wohtyLf.jpg

That looks like a great salad D.T. :)

Well, good workout tonight. I smashed it. Smashed it for me is not quite managing 10 reps of a 40 kg bench press :(

The rest of the workout was great! :cool:

That looks like a great salad D.T. :)

Well, good workout tonight. I smashed it. Smashed it for me is not quite managing 10 reps of a 40 kg bench press :(

The rest of the workout was great! :cool:

Come on mate, theres girls at my gym pushing that.

from the video link

To show you how ineffective cardio is and just how dramatic your calorie intake can be without you knowing it. The simple truth is; you can't out-train a bad diet.

It is easier to eat less than exercise to burn additional energy

Based on my experience over the last 6 weeks, for me in terms of Diet vs Exercise for weight loss, I'm going to say 100% diet, 0% exercise.

6 weeks ago was I riding to work 5 times a week, 1/2 hour each way, plus a couple of half hour walks, so 6 or 7 hours a week.

I have increased my exercise to riding 4 days a week, free weights twice a week, running interval training twice a week, pilates once a week and yoga once a week plus 4 to 6 half hour walks. That would be around 12 to 13 hours a week of physical activity, basically double what I was doing. For food, I have cut back a bit on processed food and I'm eating a lot more vegetables plus more protein and making sure I have 2 serves of fruit every day instead of just some days.

I weighed in yesterday and my weight is exactly the same as 6 weeks ago. So if I wanted to "lose weight", I would not try to increase my activity. The time I spend exercising is pretty close to max for my fitness level. I would have to cut back the amount I'm eating.

I think where exercise, especially resistance training, is important with weight loss is in preserving lean muscle. If someone wanted to be light, but fat for their weight, they could just starve and not exercise. Half or more of the weight loss could be lean muscle loss (1). Or do some resistance training and preserve lean muscle, while losing more fat (2). I know which I would rather, which is why I include resistance training in my program :cool:

Something I find very interesting in this whole experiment is my ability to maintain my weight without calorie counting. I have never counted calories, so I have no concept of how many calories I eat every day, or even how many calories in any of the foods I eat. Despite this, over 6 weeks of changing my diet and doubling my exercise, I have maintained the exact same weight as my starting weight. The fact that my waist is down 4 or 5 cm indicates that I am losing fat and gaining muscle though, so my efforts are not a waste of time. My point is that without counting any calories or relying on previous experience for maintaining my weight, I am somehow able to intuitively guess the exact number of calories to eat every day to maintain my weight. I must be some kind of calorie genius! :cool: ... or homoeostasis, but calorie genius is a lot more impressive! :D

(1) http://www.sbs.com.au/shows/foodinv...2/article/2949/Episode-3-The-Paleolithic-Diet
(2) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3337037

Great to read about your progress perth guy
Cheers! It's an adventure for me too.

I had an interesting run session last night. My training program for this week was: 5 minute warm up, then 6 repeats of 2:30 run, 60 second walk and a 5 minute cool down. In my first interval, I felt like I could quite get enough air into my lungs. The middle 4 were fine but for the last interval, I really had to concentrate on breathing to get enough air. My legs were outrunning my ability to breathe for the first time ever.

On Tuesday, during the 15 minutes of actually running, I covered 2.68 km.
On Thursday, during the 15 minutes of actually running, I covered 2.81 km.

That's a decent improvement.

Next week, 3:00 run, 60 second walk, repeat 5 times.

Late last year I was doing the same program except 3 times a week and no resistance training. This year I am run training twice a week and resistance training twice a week. I reckon I am making faster progress this year than last year.

All of those events would be easy to smash out full reps/points within the 45 seconds even if unfit, but 10 sets back to back with 15 seconds rest would kill.

And, that dead ball event should be at least 25 - 30kg.

Back