Undervalued Suburbs in Melbourne

Sorry, that's my mistake - it's the extension to Mernda that they'll keep waiting for, until 2027! Just making the point, I suppose, that until they actually start digging, it's all pie in the sky stuff.
But that's all off the topic. cheers.:)

On North melbourne and the prospects due to the new station at UniMelb.

I actually think that new station will hurt North Melb prices. The best aspect of north melb is that most of it is walking distance to the big hospitals and Unimelb.

Those key locations being right on top a station means that anywhere on the train line gets much better access to them than previous (the trams of Swanston and Elizabeth aren't quick).

If that's the view, it'll hurt Carlton/Parkville prices too. Why bother living across the road from uni when you can just train to the city from [Bayswater] (or replace with place that has trains)

If that's the view, it'll hurt Carlton/Parkville prices too. Why bother living across the road from uni when you can just train to the city from [Bayswater] (or replace with place that has trains)

To be able to walk to Uni will still be appealing. But I agree that student apartments in Carlton/Parkville/North Melbourne will face more competition from afar in this scenario.

This new train line will also mean some sorts of duplication of the tram lines on Elizabeth and Swanston St between Melbourne University and Melbourne Central Station. Will this affect the tram frequency?

It'll offer more competition, but am certainly not convinced at all about the price arguments.

To take another example, will extending the 48 tramline to Doncaster Shopping Centre or adding a trainline there hurt or help prices?

Adding a train line would help increase Doncaster value. Tramline would just clog the roads, methinks. Also it will take forever to get to the city.

The bus network from Doncaster to City is really efficient at the moment, and doesn't break down during weather 'extremes' :p

Hey Mazda,

Agree - train line will increase value (much quicker than the current buses), trams would be horendous (I use to live at the end of the wattle park tram line - 50 min from the to the city....only 12 km!)

Although, I think there is a slight correlation with insurance and train lines (ie increased crime), but don't quote me on that! But doubt that would offset the positive increase.

you and Deewha seem to have chip on your shoulders.. calm down and chill...

every thread you post in with your rude remarks degenerates into a slanging match and erodes what could be good discussion.

i dont understand why is it people can be rude disregarding other people's feelings especially in internet forums. Too many times have novices ask such questions only to get "seasoned investors" who think they are so darn smart to come and be rude to them by saying things like "well, live with it!" or "stop getting pissed about the small details, the agent may be crappy but it is your choice to engage them, now that your place is trashed, you pay it and move on, think the big picture".

undervalued suburbs..for development

Bulleen, Lower templestowe I think are undervalued, plenty of 60's, 70/s houses on good size blocks ready to put 2-3 units on...close to city, close to shoppingtown, close to eastern/frankston freeway, close to inner eastern
suburbs, close to Heidelberg, Ivanhoe....also Doncaster is still undervalued,.....the buses travel along the freeway , travel to box hill and
heidelberg stations.

Rosanna, Macleod have good size blocks.

request for unit developers...there are plenty of people out there who want to downsize, not into retirement type villages but SINGLE LEVEL units with good size courtyards and front yards, really well built... there are not many of these type of units...investors/developers seem to only want to build 2 storey units////

I still like Richmond, Collingwood, Fitzroy, Carlton, North Melbourne. That inner city ring is very desirable and will only become more so.

Not when their prices are so close to the premium suburbs on a like-for-like basis. A lot of people changed their sights and looked towards inner city when east got too pricey. And sure there were good things about them. But over time this demand drove inner city up a lot, and it's not much more expensive getting something similar in a leafy premium suburb.

I think the boom is heading back east. Unless people can look past the misgivings of west and head there. There will be some. But for most considering anything half-deent in Carlton, they'd have the financial prowess to head back east and woudln't settle west. Of course if you're looking at Collingwood there might not be true. Depends what your price range is.

Bring on the eastern boom!!

Btw your 3 posts in a row were very insightful.

Back