Unemployed single mums with 3 kids

Oh, I thought this was going to be another one of *those* threads.

A lot of them probably missed the memo that said if you can't feed them, don't breed them. I think we agreed on another thread that it's a cruisy job being a stay at home mum and bludgeing off the govt and their ex's assets. I can see it from their point of view. Why work when they can stay at home and get paid to watch DVD's with the kids. I used to be a slumlord and found that even though they might be lazy, at least they have a regular income from the govt so I would rent to them.

Dex is trying to make it so...

By far the best 'single' mum I've had - who left to move into a NRAS house - turned out NOT to be a single mum in the end.

She had 2 excellent references from agency PM's who stated she lived with her partner a one child but told me they had since separated.

I did not suspect anything till near the end of the tenancy but neighbours confirmed she was living with a male the entire time.

She showed me her banking statements so I know what Centerlink she got... $1050pf at the time as well as rent assistance which was either $70 pw or pf - can't remember which now but $70 was the figure she quoted.

She told me she did some hair extensions too - apparently just one or 2 every now and then for friends and family but the ebay purchases on her banking records suggested otherwise.

So not all are poor or can't pay... or single for that matter.

Last edited:
Side note: If you are going via gumtree instead of an agent just check that your landlord insurance policy will still pay out if it isn't agent managed.

The gumtree ad is my own advertisement in conjunction with my property managers efforts

The property manager will still manage the property and tenant if I source the tenant from gumtree, but the agreement I have with them is that they will only charge me half the tenancy fee if I originally sourced the tenant myself - (property manager still does some work in regards to showing tenants and running backgound checks on my sourced tenants)

This is one of my concerns. Good luck at tribunal especially with young kids on welfare involved

Anyone know how many chances the tribunal would give them? I have one in my IP being evicted on Thursday after the tribunal gave them extra time. I'm just concerned they could give her even more time again

Ugh, I think I may have myself one of the troublesome kind on hand. "Single mum" but the neighbour tells me there's a male living there from the start. Behind in rent from the word go and it's barely been 8 weeks since she's moved in. Her references were great.. if only they were true.

Notice to leave issued, we'll see how painful it's going to be to get her out.

I had another single mum once before as well. She paid the rent on time but set the kitchen on fire. Plus her ex would "visit" and let himself in by smashing the glass next to the front door.

No more single mums for me.

Back