Uninsured / unlicensed tradesmen or workers

My dad has been hiring a bunch of guys to do some really heavy "lifting", and they are ridiculously cheap. For example they removed a huge tree for $450. I was stunned when I heard it - it generally costs several thousand. The numbers didn't add up - it would cost more than that just to dispose of it at the tip. But, they seemed happy enough to do it, although it still didn't feel right. Other than the fact that I'm not particularly comfortable with them being underpaid (I believe in fair pay for fair work), I have to assume they're uninsured, which worries me. If they ever got hurt would we be at risk at all (assuming the work they were doing was actually legal)?

Ok thanks guys. I thought as much. I'm going to get him to stop using them. I hate it when people are cheap and risk everything to save a few bucks. No sense of perspective.

Have your father request the contractor's insurances. You are assuming that the guy is below board but may be short of work and keeping the crew together or have a competitive advantage over his competition eg access to a cheap tip/market for the material.

Are they issuing receipts/tax invoices?

Do they have an ABN?

Get Dad to check his licenses and insurance and copy details.

The guy may have an outlet for woodchips or mulch or he may want the timber.

It could also be a money laundering business for night time activities, can't spend it on registered products without a source.

Back