Unit in Kogarah / Bexley / Hurstville / Bardwell Park...

I think the price in those suburb has already gone up by at least 50-60K in 2 bdr units. So buying now u pay more money and have to wait a long for capital growth. I am also thinking to buy one investment, I live in HUrstville, NSW as I saw the recent price rise I am also confused where to buy as price already gone up. Do you think price keep moving up, in those area if not no good to buy here. The best time to buy here was last year when price was low.

Suraj

Spot on in my opinion. Not much value left in the lower side 2 bedder market in that area, there was tones under $300k available 18 months ago.

For now, id start looking in other areas that are now at that sub 300k mark. Do your research well and buy in a stable proven market, one were prices haven't dropped past an alarming rate, just in case things go belly up.

Whats everyone thoughts on this strategy?

I have heard the properties on one end of the train line are significantly higher than those on the side in Rockdale and Kogarah area. Out of the three Hurstville has grown the most and it is less affordable now. Of course, factoring that Hurstville is now the "CBD" in the south on top of Westfield's expansion, the suburb is looking quite promising. Kogarah has got good schools and hospitals. Rockdale is closer to city and there are more new developments. However why is the price in Rockdale lower than Kogarah? They are next to each other. The review was Kogarah much better then Rockdale. Anyone?

Depends on which part of Rockdale, the north part (north of the Plaza and station) are on the flight path and therefore can be noisy, these are usually the areas in rockdale that is cheaper.

The southern part, closer to Kogarah border, is a bit more pricey than Kogarah.

Are these located on busy roads? eg. Princes Highway

The cheaper ones for Kogarah are usually located on Princes Hwy (eg. mine :( )

is it because of the traffic noise? I have got one along princes highway too.

the cheaper units are on the northern side of train line.

Yeah, traffic noise. However my unit has it's bedrooms all at the back where it's very quiet so I'm ok with it I guess. I have it tenanted at the moment, family of 4.

If it's close to the train line, maybe there's noise pollution there as well. However, south east of the train line is "technically" closer to the beach :)

Mine's about 1.2km from Brighton/Ramsgate beach.

If you are looking at 2br units for in $300k/$400k range, you should consider Gladesville. Very nice area and a lot closer to city.

Hi, Stick to a suburb near the railway. I suggest you also look at Penshurst, Mortdale and surrounding suburbs. The cheapest I've seen latley was in Mortdale $255.000 for a one bed no garage and needing a reno. prices rise from there but they sell well and rent well. Ring any agent to see what is available for rent to give you a gauge on an area.

So what's Tunnel Stack harms ?

The "tunnel stack" is the ventilation stack from the M5 East motorway tunnel. Concentrated vehicle pollution. To give you an idea of how bad the pollution in the M5 East tunnel is, bear in mind they close the tunnel regularly on weeknights for "road works" but there isn't any road works going on, they're just letting the vents draw out more of the pollution while no cars are adding to it overnight. Try riding through the tunnel on a motorbike in summer time and see how you feel at the end of it - it's disgusting.

So relevance to this forum - would you want to live within close proximity to the point where all that pollution vents into the air? I know I wouldn't.

The "tunnel stack" is the ventilation stack from the M5 East motorway tunnel. Concentrated vehicle pollution. To give you an idea of how bad the pollution in the M5 East tunnel is, bear in mind they close the tunnel regularly on weeknights for "road works" but there isn't any road works going on, they're just letting the vents draw out more of the pollution while no cars are adding to it overnight. Try riding through the tunnel on a motorbike in summer time and see how you feel at the end of it - it's disgusting.

So relevance to this forum - would you want to live within close proximity to the point where all that pollution vents into the air? I know I wouldn't.

Ah I see, I guess that's why the suburbs:

Turrella, Bexley and Wolli Creek is rather hard to grow / appreciate in the past 10 years....

Yep, house prices in all of these suburbs have skyrocketed in the past few years, some more than others but all have grown significantly and the medians are pretty similar.

5 year house growth | median - from YIP:

Bardwell Park: 67% | 1.197M
Bexley North: 45% | 958k
Bexley: 56% | 970k
Turrella: 69% | 960k

Carlton (where I am): 63% | 1.07M

Can't compare Wolli Creek as it's all units.

Back