Unit in Kogarah / Bexley / Hurstville / Bardwell Park...

Looking at buying my 1st IP - 2br unit with garage/car space, internal laundry...want to spend between $350K and $400K....first preference was Ryde/Macquarie area..but I just dont think i can get in....what are people's thoughts on St george area..Hurstville, Kogarah, Bexley, Rockdale. From looking at RE.com.au looks like I can afford these areas...they are close to the city, close drive to the city/airport and train is available...however I know nothing else about these areas...

What suburb would you go for?
Do you think they are ok areas to invest in?
Should I wait for something to pop up in Ryde/Macquarie instead...even if it is smaller with no internal laundry?

thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!!

Undervalued areas given they are 20-25 mins to the city. A few random thoughts on the areas.

- Bexley has no train - only Bexley North does. Bexley has a couple of good selective schools.
- Bardwell Park is dominated by houses. There are more apartments in neighbouring Bardwell Valley which has the bonus of the golf course. Very quiet, leafy area.
- Kogarah and Rockdale would have newer apartments than the other areas.
- Hurstville is the Chatswood of the south. Has a country train that stops here in the morning and goes first stop Redfern.

Aircraft noise is quite minimal in all these areas despite their proximity to the airport and they all have good access to the M5.

- Bardwell Park is dominated by houses. There are more apartments in neighbouring Bardwell Valley which has the bonus of the golf course. Very quiet, leafy area.

M5 Tunnel Stack.

Next to Turella station

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&...7847,151.141465&spn=0.000739,0.00142&t=h&z=20

I wanted to buy a place in Bardwell park for the reasons listed above.... until i realised where the Tunnel Stack was located.....

Its the main reason that houses within a 2km radium of that area dont really sell.

A real estate agent tried to sell me a house there, i told him I was concerned about the tunnel stack. His reply was, "Its ok, the house is on the other side of the river"..... needless to say i ignored him and walked off.

Perhaps if you're looking a for a rental? Then maybe when fossil fuels eventually die, this area will become more desirable.

Last edited:
Looking at buying my 1st IP - 2br unit with garage/car space, internal laundry...want to spend between $350K and $400K....first preference was Ryde/Macquarie area..but I just dont think i can get in....what are people's thoughts on St george area..Hurstville, Kogarah, Bexley, Rockdale. From looking at RE.com.au looks like I can afford these areas...they are close to the city, close drive to the city/airport and train is available...however I know nothing else about these areas...

Should I wait for something to pop up in Ryde/Macquarie instead...even if it is smaller with no internal laundry?

the areas you have specified (hurstville, kogarah, rockdale) are fine, they are safe and desirable, maybe not hurstville as much :)...but you cant go wrong within a 5 minute walk of each of these stations, you will always get rent there. Also I would think prices would be similar to ryde to be honest for those areas.

as for bexley, its been performing well, more aeroplane noise in those suburbs..but not sure about apartments, i wouldnt think there was many of them compared to other suburbs near there.

before anything and since its your first you should drive through these areas and get a feel for them

M5 Tunnel Stack.

Next to Turella station

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&...7847,151.141465&spn=0.000739,0.00142&t=h&z=20

I wanted to buy a place in Bardwell park for the reasons listed above.... until i realised where the Tunnel Stack was located.....

Its the main reason that houses within a 2km radium of that area dont really sell.

A real estate agent tried to sell me a house there, i told him I was concerned about the tunnel stack. His reply was, "Its ok, the house is on the other side of the river"..... needless to say i ignored him and walked off.

Perhaps if you're looking a for a rental? Then maybe when fossil fuels eventually die, this area will become more desirable.

thats going a bit far dont you think? houses sell pretty fast around bardwell park. and if you go by that radius then earlwood would fit in there as well, and that suburb doesnt have problems selling.

dont get me wrong i have dismissed houses within 500m of the stack, but not 2km...thats just being ridiculous. regarding the agent, i would have done the same thing though.

Ive been looking for a PPOR in the same area since Sep last year.

Not all of Earlwood is within the 2km radius of the stack.

The ones that are closer to the stack are taking much longer to sell than the ones further out.

I looked at it from a perspective of where I would want to raise kids in the future, while the area is nice, gambling on their health is not something im prepared to do.

thats going a bit far dont you think? houses sell pretty fast around bardwell park. and if you go by that radius then earlwood would fit in there as well, and that suburb doesnt have problems selling.

dont get me wrong i have dismissed houses within 500m of the stack, but not 2km...thats just being ridiculous. regarding the agent, i would have done the same thing though.

I agree. I think it's no different to having a freeway running through the suburb as long as you're a reasonable distance away from the stack. 2km is a bit much.

Ive been looking for a PPOR in the same area since Sep last year.

Not all of Earlwood is within the 2km radius of the stack.

The ones that are closer to the stack are taking much longer to sell than the ones further out.

I looked at it from a perspective of where I would want to raise kids in the future, while the area is nice, gambling on their health is not something im prepared to do.

thats fair enough, but living in a large city like sydney, the sad truth is, you cant escape the smog , but i can understand where you are coming from. i also was looking at those areas at the same time frame as yourself, and alot of them did manage to sell, i remember seeing one place selling on 9 banks road on the earlwood side and at an auction (http://raywhiteearlwood.com.au/show?rd=1&ref=EAR10524) , cant remember what they got for it, but it was an okay price and thought to myself at the time i wouldnt buy it, but someone was prepared to, i didnt think it was a bad buy it just wasnt for me.

I bought a 2 bd, garage for $270k 2 years ago in Rockdale, very close to rockdale station. I cant find anything like it for its price now. Also rent has gone up quite allot in that area - from $280 when we bought to $350 a week.
In terms of area, its not really my type of place to hang out, but the proximity to the CBD (it takes 12 mins to townhall on the train) you cant go wrong.
Id be interested to look at apartments in Kograh, same train line, closer to the water & cheaper than Rockdale.

I agree. I think it's no different to having a freeway running through the suburb as long as you're a reasonable distance away from the stack. 2km is a bit much.

Having a motorway next to you and an exhaust stack are quite different.

For a motorway, the fumes are exhaust into open air over the length of the road.

For the tunnel stack, for the entire 3.6km, every car exhaust fume is funnelled into the one location and then expelled.

i remember seeing one place selling on 9 banks road on the earlwood side and at an auction .
Funny enough, thats the one I was referring to.

3 serious options

So what if I steer clear of Turrella, Bardwell Park, Bexley, even Rockdale to some extent...they all sound a little iffy to me....and I seriously looked into Kogarah, Carlton or Hurstville.

What are your opinions re the above suburbs? rental rate? vacancy? CG/future potential?? safety??

Also re unit..any difference in top floor, ground floor, middle floor...do you think people care about this when renting or will it affect sale in the future...sorry not sure....

??

I think Bexley North, Kingsgrove, Bexley are all pretty nice.

Bardwell Park and Turrella are also nice, just that the tunnel stack is too close in those areas for my own liking.

So what if I steer clear of Turrella, Bardwell Park, Bexley, even Rockdale to some extent...they all sound a little iffy to me....and I seriously looked into Kogarah, Carlton or Hurstville.

What are your opinions re the above suburbs? rental rate? vacancy? CG/future potential?? safety??

Also re unit..any difference in top floor, ground floor, middle floor...do you think people care about this when renting or will it affect sale in the future...sorry not sure....

??

If it were me id look to get a place as close to the cbd and to a train station as possible - if its an investment dont worry to much about the area - Rockdales fine, i just prefer Glebe ;)

In terms of CG - i think Rockdale 2 b units are on the upper side of the cycle - they seemed to have dipped in 2008 and have gone up around $30-50 in that time. Lets hope for more huh!?

Property Investing in Ryde, North Ryde Area

Hi,

Ive lived in Ryde area most my life and constantly review the area for personal as well as for clients and am sure you can find property investments in that area of 1 and 2 bedrooms for about $350 to $400k, where abouts were you looking?

Hi
Looking at Ryde, Macquarie Park, West Ryde or Eastwood...
There is not much at the moment..went for a drive through the areas yesterday....not sure which area to target...or are they all good??

Price is already upo

I think the price in those suburb has already gone up by at least 50-60K in 2 bdr units. So buying now u pay more money and have to wait a long for capital growth. I am also thinking to buy one investment, I live in HUrstville, NSW as I saw the recent price rise I am also confused where to buy as price already gone up. Do you think price keep moving up, in those area if not no good to buy here. The best time to buy here was last year when price was low.

Suraj

Back