unity is strength

Has there been any suggestion of combining the purchasing power of forum of members to reduce costs of finance etc ??
The forum is obviously very successful in pooling knowledge, but what about buying power. The combined portfolio power of the forum would be enormous if focussed.
e.g. our motel has just joined an independant network of motels spread over 6 states of Australia totalling now 50 motels, and growing at the rate of 2 per week, and we are in the early stages of combining our buying power in all areas of expenditure like power, gas, phone, chemicals, linen, furniture, etc etc but here's the relevant one for this forum - finance. 50 motels @ conservative average value of $600K each equals a property "portfolio" of $30m. :eek: Most of them are under finance, and we are working on infrastructure plans to make this group functional and cohesive as a buying group of individuals. How would a lender like to refinance that portfolio if it was funnelled their way, and what would a lender offer such a group ? It would certainly be offered the professional investor package one would hope.
As a recentcomer to this forum, I may be sawing sawdust, and if so, my apologies, but I searched the forum and found nothing on this topic.
cheers ;)
crest133

Crest,

It's not come up to my knowledge and a very good suggestion :)

It could be structured as sort of a building society or community bank concept or as a managed fund.....both have complications in establishment which would require a few people to be fairly dedicated to get it up and running....

Would forumites wish to be involved?

Cheers,

Aceyducey

A very successful ex-forum member did attempt something along similar lines. It was discussed in the chat room of the old forum, but I don't believe there were threads started. However, it never came to anything AFAIK.

But don't let that stop you trying .......

KJ

Hiya,

Great idea, but as Rolf said, there isnt enough margin in it for them to go any lower than they are.

However, surely we could use a similar approach on other things we investors spend money on. For example if it turned out 6 of us had properties in the same suburb, taking those 6 properties to one property manager should equate to 10-20% off, surely? Perhaps something for insurance, also?

-Kind regards

Dave

agreed.

I guess it is just something to keep in mind as we are looking for ways to get good rates on all those necessities.

Rolf,
What mimimum margin do you think they will need? I am on 6.37% variable at this moment with our package and the RBA cash rate is 5.25%, do you think they would go lower than this if we were all together?

Jason

What can you negotiate with a huge portfolio ? How many ways can a lender move the goalposts to help you - the investor ? A higher LVR? if there's no more margin to offer. Better rate on LOC? Lower monthly costs? Reduced waiting time between valuations? (less than 12 months) etc etc. There must be more ways to wring some blood out of the stone than just a better interest rate. ?? And there is no expertise this forum doesn't have. I am told the residential property investment market is becoming a buyers' market. If that means lenders are going to become hungrier for deals, then this would surely be a good time to discuss with them how THEY would structure a
" club rate " for all participating Forum members. Let them make some suggestions and offer the Forum a rate, and see what eventuates. GeoffW reminded someone here only last week that he who is the first to mention a figure, is the loser. I hope this can lead to some bottom line improvement for many forumites - how much is a bottom line dollar worth at the top to you, like when it's gross income ? As you all know, a dollar saved off your expenses is worth any number of times more than $1.
cheers
crest133

Hi Jason

Unless there are some considerable cost savings to be made "all together" isnt much of negotiation toll in a market where lendrs have been turning away business.

However, as someone else said when the market turns and business becomes more negotiable, you will see some interesting deals coming up !

Ta
rolf

Hi Rolf,
Love to hear some stories about some of the unusal/different deals that have passed your desk & why they were accepted/rejected

Should make interesting reading

Regards Tony

What would the following groups offer the Forum for a National deal on the Combined Forum Property Portfolio ? :

L J Hooker Property Management - 4% management fee ? 30% relet fee ? free statements, free Tribunal appearances, free inspections, free ads, ???

L J Hooker Sales - 1% sales commission ? free ads, $200 auction fees, ?

Ray White . . . .
First National . . . .

St George Finance - . . . .

Ironic if at a meeting of the minds, this went into the too hard basket. Especially, when there are future, lasting, ongoing cost savings (read profit and wealth creation) to be made on a massive national scale. Hope one of the fine minds here can create something simple for all to capitalise on.
cheers
crest133

maybe we could start a cyber branch of the Bendigo community banking franchise type.

the comminity funds the branch and Bendigo provide the expertise, we would only need one person sitting in an office to control it all.

Back