Unlucky I'm with AAMI

I have landlord insurance through AAMI, my tenant fell in shower and knocked out 4 tiles. AAMI say I am not covered for accidental damage by tenant!!!. I am overseas and will get on to them when back in Oz but I just can't believe this! Is that standard? Unlucky I'm with AAMI

How much will it cost to fix? It sounds like something that would not be worth much to claim even if they did pay- once you pay the excess, say $500 or $1000, there won't be much left to claim.

If you can't claim it from the tenant- check with your PM- it will at least be deductible fwiw.

Just sharing information, Suncorp doesn't cover 'accidental damage at the home' unless you pay for it as an optional cover under Landlord insurance either. I presume it covers 'accidental damage' by tenants or their guests.

Ask AAMI if they have 'accidental damage at the home' as an optional cover under Landlord insurance and perhaps you can pay for it and be covered from now on?

Sorry to hear about the 4 tiles knocked out and the hassle you have to go through to try to manage the repairs from overseas. But thank the higher powers that the tenant didn't slip, fall and crack his skull and you have a liability claim on your hands. Actually, is your IP a house or a unit? More important is to check if your landlord insurance/building insurance covers legal liability for anything that happens within your IP. Wishing you best of luck with it all.

You pay for what you get. You've had a relatively cheap lesson. Get out your policy and your product disclosure statement and go through them. See exactly what you're covered for. Work out what you need/want cover for ie what you don't want to self-insure. Then look at choice magazine and see who is recommended. Look at their PDSs and make a decision. Could be a couple of days' work but it' your responsibility not the insurance company.

I just cant work out how a person slipping over can knock out 4 tiles? They mustn't have been fixed properly in the first place.

Anyway, if a handyman wanted more than say $120 to fix the tiles I'd be showing him the finger lol. Forget the insurance.

Last edited:
dont get me started on AAMI and my parents recent home damage claim

had the home and car policy for 30 years, and made like 2 claims in 30 years, and it was like conversing with a preteen girl via facebook, plus all the contradictions, mistakes, misinformation, incompetence, cost cutting was astonishing

dont get me started on AAMI and my parents recent home damage claim

had the home and car policy for 30 years, and made like 2 claims in 30 years, and it was like conversing with a preteen girl via facebook, plus all the contradictions, mistakes, misinformation, incompetence, cost cutting was astonishing

I dropped them as well and moved the entire lot to Suncorp

I dropped them as well and moved the entire lot to Suncorp

:eek::eek::eek:

Our house insurance went from $970 to about $1500 after our claim was declined. That was hard to take.

I took everything from Suncorp to Youi and ended up paying $970 with Youi for the same cover Suncorp offered for hundreds extra, just on our PPOR.

We just took over my mother-in-law's 2000 model vehicle. She had insured it with Suncorp, full comprehensive for $620 in January. We insured it full comprehensive with Youi for $281.

I'd check Youi if you have everything with Suncorp. And we've also taken our IPs to Honan and insured two for the same price as one IP was quoted by another well known landlord policy. I know our cover may not be as comprehensive as with the other, but the policy covers what we need.

Interesting that a few people here were dissatisfied with AAMI and have swapped to Suncorp.
Not sure if their service will be any better, as Suncorp own AAMI (as well as many other brands)

Which is funny because Suncorp is AAMI.... And it's the same people who work for both... It's the cover that's better with Suncorp and that's why you pay more.

Yes I heard that, but it all ended up being cheaper anyway and the service with my loans was always good so I was happy w the move

But yeah I'm also gonna check that youI out, - wylie

Back