Unpaid Water Usage by Tenant - What's the next action?

Now, I know the caveat where I can't charge water usage to tenant if the property is not water efficient.
I'm telling my property manager to check this - she's currently on holiday though :mad:

My question is in the case where the property is water efficient and the tenant suppose to pay the water usage and failed to do so. I know the process in general for 14 days rent arrears, but no idea for unpaid water bills. Can you/ how can you get them out of the property?

Situation:
Property in NSW
1. Unpaid water usage bill from September 2013 - $160
2. Latest bill - $320 (doubled!! Why??? :mad: - sorry, venting a bit)
Both water charges bill has been paid by PM, just pending payment from tenant on the usage part.

I still have approx. 9 days to report them to tribunal (from their previous rent arrears, termination notice expired on 16 Jan and I have 30 days to apply for tribunal).

From NSW website:

http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/p...uring_a_tenancy_information_for_landlords.pdf

Billing for water usage
You [tenant] are only required to pay for water usage if the landlord bills you correctly. They must:

give you a copy of the bill from the water supplier (or other evidence) showing the cost of water used
give you at least 21 days to pay
request payment within 3 months of receiving the bill from the supplier

Providing that you met the water efficiency and above, the next stage would be a trip to the tribunal unless you are able to terminate their agreement and take the monies from the bond.

Thanks chilliblue

Called the agency and talk to x (i forgot to ask her name :|)

Action
1. Them to send a plumber to check the water efficiency. If it water efficient then happy go lucky and they will send a breach of agreement and termination notice for water rate arrears (I choose this over sending an breach directly as if the property is water efficient, i have no ground... but I reckon will cost me the plumber :().

2. in the mean time, them to call the tenant to confirm why the latest water usage doubled

Add:
And it seems like I need to tell them what I want, and not them advising me the best way to approach this? Is it too much to ask from a PM?

Last edited:
Thanks chilliblue

Called the agency and talk to x (i forgot to ask her name :|)

Action
1. Them to send a plumber to check the water efficiency. If it water efficient then happy go lucky and they will send a breach of agreement and termination notice for water rate arrears (I choose this over sending an breach directly as if the property is water efficient, i have no ground... but I reckon will cost me the plumber :().

Just make sure that you are able to charge them water usage retrospectively from the date your property was certified water efficient. You may only be able to bill them from hereon, assuming your property meets efficiency requirements.

Check with your property manager and also ring the residential tenancy organisation for your state or fair trading to ensure you can charge (in hindsight) before the certificate was issued. I am no expert however, best to be sure

2. in the mean time, them to call the tenant to confirm why the latest water usage doubled

Add:
And it seems like I need to tell them what I want, and not them advising me the best way to approach this? Is it too much to ask from a PM?

As for the sudden doubling, might you have a leak in any pipes leading to the house/unit?

Check with your property manager and also ring the residential tenancy organisation for your state or fair trading to ensure you can charge (in hindsight) before the certificate was issued. I am no expert however, best to be sure

Re charging before certificate - Good point, will do Player

As for the sudden doubling, might you have a leak in any pipes leading to the house/unit?

:( I hope not. Just did a pipe repair last year ("pipe redirection" to be precise - have no idea what that means and whether this cause the big water bill.)

Sometimes I just want to just get the tenant out and do over...hahaha... oh well. Patience. Patience.

Quick Update

so, PM send a termination notice of non-payment of water bill (as the tenant didn't respond to any communications). We heard back from the tenant magically, and tenant agree to another payment plan.

I'm waiting for the rent this week.

On a less happy note, there's water leak due to the hot water system below. The quote to fix it is $1250 ish and I told PM to do it. I can't just leave leaking pipe below the house. Means that I won't be receiving any rent for the next 5 weeks or so (given that the tenant is paying on time) :(

The joy of being a landlord. This is after all the recent moving house costs.

Back