Unregistered vehicle parked on common property

I was wondering how long can a tenant can park an unregistered car on Common Property for? We have four car spaces for 15 units (general parking for residents, not visitor parking).

The car has been on the road for 6 weeks unmoved but Friday the tenant moved it to on of the spots on common property. The car has been unregistered since 30 July.

hope your not one of those tenants who creates an issue about every little thing?.....

If it was on the road he could have had the coppers fine him or the council to give him notice...give the person a break for a bit!

Perhaps the owner cant afford the rego, perhaps it is unroadworthy or similar, maybe he is trying to sell it, lost his licence, who knows...

Have you bothered to ask him/her of they need a hand?

Why create a drama if its not a big issue.............does it stop you from going from A to B?

Isn't it easier to just ask the person...maybe a legit reason why it is where it is...

Look, I can see your point to some degree but if its not interfering with your daily life just move on....lifes too short to be stressing about insignificant dribble issues...car will probably gone soon enough...

Gotta give and take sometimes....it may come back to haunt you in the future you know...

Precise reason why I would never live in unit complexes...impossible to please everyone.

It does get annoying though, if he's taking up a park.

I used to live in an inner city unit with about 10 spots for 16 units, plus one guest park. I don't know how many times I'd come home from work and there'd be someone parked in my (clearly lablelled residents only unit #1) spot. One time I couldn't get to work because some idiot had parked BEHIND my car and I had to go hunting for the owner. In an area with virtually zero street parking, having to park a block away from home when you've got shopping and a small child is REALLY ANNOYING. I did that once and just parked in someone else's spot after that. Serious downside of inner city living where you have open carports not lockable spaces.

When I had the carpets cleaned on exit, the carpet cleaner guy had to park on the median strip (which was more than big enough) and being a snooty suburb, he was reported to council in the time he was there. And council actually sent out an inspector - all in the time it took to clean 2 rooms. This suburb has a reputation for serious busybody interfering development blocking residents, anyone in Adelaide should be able to pick it.

Definitely talk to the owner of the car though, once he's off the street there really isn't a higher body to whinge to.

Off the record and do not use me as a reference but I have moved the offensive vehicle onto the front kerb then it becomes councils problem.

Be careful moving some one else's property, that you are spotted and put in. Best bet is get onto the manager of the body corporate, after you have read the by-laws, and have them follow the by-laws to the letter. If they do not act, the next step is an official complaint to the Ombudsman. Sadly, it could be a bit drawn out.

I guess that if there are 4 car spaces for 15 units, then the tenant has a right to use one car space. The fact that the car is unregistered is not relevant as it is on private property.

Annoying, but legal.

But to be sure, I would check the by-laws of the body corporate to see if there is anything against one resident "hogging" one of the few car spaces on a semi-permanent basis.
Marg

Off the record and do not use me as a reference but I have moved the offensive vehicle onto the front kerb then it becomes councils problem.

I like this suggestion.

From what I understand, you cannot legally tow someone else's car away if it is on private property (well you can, but the owner can then sue you).

For all you know the car could be unlocked and be in neutral with the handbrake down. If there's a slope and it happened to roll down, well... thats the owners fault for not securing their vehicle isnt it?

There was once an unregistered car (presumably abandoned) left at my workplace. Saw some guy snooping around and he gave some BS story that his friend asked him to collect the car etc (i think he wanted to scrap it for parts).

I casually mentioned that it had been left here for several weeks and the council was coming to tow it and that he should let his friend know to collect this car. Magically the car disappeared overnight ;)

For all you know the car could be unlocked and be in neutral with the handbrake down. If there's a slope and it happened to roll down, well... thats the owners fault for not securing their vehicle isnt it?

Unless you are caught moving property which is not yours.

Once I was unable to get out of a railway station car park because a car was blocking my way I called the roads authority and the rail operators both of whom had their excuses why they couldn't do anything. So I called the police who also said because the land is was owned by the rail operators they couldn't do anything. So I said what happens if I move the car myself to which they responded if you are caught you will be up for criminal charges

Back