Unresponsive RE agents

Last week i went up to Lake Munmorah on the NSW Central Coast and i found the agents there just plsinly not interested ir lazy.
i asked him to show me a property but it was his lunch break soon and after lunch he had another appointment so he was available at 4pm..the time i was heading back to my home in Sydney so i said to him dont worry about it.

Why is "investor" deemed a joke when that is what you actually do? I guess this explains why most people treat me like a stay at home mum and think that investing is just some silly hobby I do in between cooking, cleaning and looking after the kids.

It just sounds like a ****. Business cards carry the name of the business, your position, contact details and perhaps a bit of marketing - ok I know that Ms Beachgurl is the CEO/accountant/cleaner at beach properties pty ltd, and they are developers. I doubt Clive or Gina have business cards with 'investor', but essentially that is what they are.

If you want a card I would suggest Ms Gina Beachgurl with your address and contact details. Perhaps on the other side you say something about what you do/are - perhaps 'Australia's largest property investor', I clean houses, call me if you want to buy iron ore etc

Why is "investor" deemed a joke when that is what you actually do? I guess this explains why most people treat me like a stay at home mum and think that investing is just some silly hobby I do in between cooking, cleaning and looking after the kids.

It's not a joke to BE an investor, it's a joke to say so on a business card.

One of my landlord clients recently purchased a new property - she buys one every year through funds in her business. I had the property leased the day after settlement - arranged early access to show tenants through etc on her instruction.

A week before settlement and lease commencement she rang and posed the question "what happens if settlement is delayed" - I had made it clear prior that once a lease contract is signed, there can be no delays as the selling vendor was not open to the idea of holding a rental for even a couple of weeks.

I very strongly told her that "there cannot be any delays, we have a lease in place, furniture was arriving on lease start date.... make it happen"

she rang back and said "no problem Xenia, banks ARE going to delay the process, I will deal with them later but I have settled the property in CASH. You know with that extra $500,000 she had lying around.
This lady is an INVESTOR - business card however does not reflect this - they only say the name of the business she runs.

She purchased this property from us by looking at future development potential, at no time did she label it as one of her "deals" or tell us that she is a "sophisticated investor" - even through she actually IS!.

It's not a joke to BE an investor, it's a joke to say so on a business card.

I really don't understand why it's a joke if that is how the person makes their living. Yes, I grant you it is probably relatively unusual but not impossible. Particularly for those couples who have one working & the other looking after the family and their investments.

I used to rent directly from a family who managed their properties themselves. She was a lawyer by trade but not currently employed as she ran the house / looked after their 4 kids and looked after their investments.

Having a business card for her made sense as she juggled life, she had one but I can't recall what was on it, perhaps just her qualifications & contact details. "Investor" "Stay at home Mum" "Unemployed (by choice) Lawyer"? all would be true, the first is possibly the most relevant for most of her uses.

OK - "joke" is a perception and you can argue perceptions all day and not get anywhere.

If someone wants a card that says "stay at home mum" or "Xenia's retired dad" then another person's perception should not be something they consider when making that choice.

I do not argue on view points!

When agents ask for names and telephone numbers at home opens and say that the reason is for security, I have to wonder what sort of burglar would leave their details before going back to rob the place?

I like bad REA's as they are lazy and as a result , don't get the best price for their clients , the vendor . It might mean I have to do more work to get the deal but I'm patient .

With our current PPOR in Turramurra it took around about a week of non answered phones and ingored messages till I got to talk to her .

We're happy with the deal we got . We made an offer at the end of the first open we attended and I know she didn't contact anyone else who attended to see if they were interested.

Cliff

Last edited:
I like bad REA's as they are lazy and as a result , don't get the best price for their clients , the vendor . It might mean I have to do more work to get the deal but I'm patient .

With our current PPOR in Turramurra it took around about a week of non answered phones and ingored messages till I got to talk to her .

We're happy with the deal we got . We made an offer at the end of the first open we attended and I know she didn't contact anyone else who attended to see if they were interested.

Cliff

Providing hold can eventually get hold of them its okay, I like it when they tell you what the vendor will accept straight away before you even suggest that you intend to make an offer. Maybe there is some strategy behind it but it just looks like the agent is keen for a quick sale.

Back