Unsure on QLD Granny-flatting rules

Hi Somersofters!

I did a quick search to see if a thread already exists on this, but couldnt find one (could someone please post a link to it if it exists?).

As someone who is new to Grammy flatting as a possibility for future investment property expansion, I'm keen to know what the rules are, specifically to creating tenancies and separation of electricity/gas/water; in the state of QLD.

To give context; I have a chance to pursue a 3-bed house that is brlow market value on a ~650-700sqm block in the greater Brisbane City Council region. The original house is front-set and what I call 'side-set' (I.e. side access drive going down to a very large flat backyard).

If I were to add a granny flat, I know that in the future I still must sell all dwellings on that one title. I know that and I am comfortable with that. The zoning of this property allows for granny flats to be built.

Instead, I need to understqnd what the rules on renting both dwellings separately, are. Do I need to get separate gas/electricity/water meters fitted (a cost I will need to account for!), to rent them both separately? Or, can I forgoe that and just charge a rent rate weekly to each property that 'includes water/gas/Elec' and take a punt that I allow for a 'fair go use' of these (whilst knowing I risk both tenants over-using, and me ultimately paying for it.

Also, what are the rules on internal fencing when it comes to QLD granny flats. Is this allowed? Internal fencing with would enable me to create separate private yards, dedicated car parking areas etc.

Last question, is there a maximum internal floor space size of granny flats allowed in QLD? I.e. could I build a 100sqm, 3-bed granny flat?

Any guidance you have would be very much appreciated :)

BCC does not separate household lease, meaning you can not lease out the secondary dwelling or granny flat.

Ipswich allows annexed unit, but i believe there latest revision scaled back to max 50m2 size.

proposed LCC (Logan council) allows granny flat that can be leased out separately.

Thanks for the property insight ! Will investigate LCC further on this. Its not for an immediate IP buy anymore, more of a buy in the next few months. Guessing that if LCC approves the change, large-block properties with GF potential will explode in a capital growth burst..

BCC is spending huge sums to stop GF use at present. LCC is looking very promising in that it will not need a town planner, just a building certifier.

Thanks for the property insight ! Will investigate LCC further on this. Its not for an immediate IP buy anymore, more of a buy in the next few months. Guessing that if LCC approves the change, large-block properties with GF potential will explode in a capital growth burst..

Here is the link to Draft LCC
http://www.logan.qld.gov.au/planning-and-building/planning/logan-planning-scheme

There is also the risk, similar to Western Sydney that investor pay attention to the yield of having a granny flat option, attracting more investor to the area. I guess there is good and bad to this element... but I would prefer to see more owner occupy drawn to the area than investors..

Reactions: neK
corner block little over 700m2 in Logan council is a best buy in my view.

building an annexed unit on a corner block provide its own frontage, and you dont need to reduce the rental for existing house, and achieve extra 10-20% more compare to annexed unit that is build behind a house in a regular block.

up to 70m2 annexed unit is allowed. it is quiet big a 2 bed, or small 3 bedder. If attached garaged is allowed, it just look like another house.

This is not the reason why you should consider 700m2+, because under the draft LCC, you can get this approved as dual occupancy. Different to a Annexed unit, dual occupancy allow you to have a bigger size based, and more importantly you should be able to strata title under LCC

BCC does not separate household lease, meaning you can not lease out the secondary dwelling or granny flat.

Various sites I have looked at say you can if it is to a family member but what if we look at it a different way, listed below.

1) What if I rent out my granny flat now as if I was renting out a bedroom of the house?
BCC wont let you treat it as a separate residence with extra power and water meters so then it must be part of the main residence right?

2) What if in later years I lived in the granny flat and rented out the main house? (in later years I wont need as big a house and will be travelling more)
I wont be renting out a granny flat, that's not allowed
I will be renting out my PPOR, that is allowed.

Last edited:
BCC has been out in force again lately hitting lots of places with entry warrants to gather evidence for prosecution (if everyone on 1 lease) or show cause and enforcement notices (if 2 or more leases). Their objection to this sort of thing is not going away. if you get a letter inviting you for a friendly chat (recorded interview) they are not there to help so would think very seriously about not going and making written submissions instead.

Guessing that if LCC approves the change, large-block properties with GF potential will explode in a capital growth burst..

Would probably need a corresponding explosion in population in Logan, or there will just be a lot of empty granny flats.
I think people are looking at it with Sydney eyes. There is no shortage of space in the greater Brisbane area. If you were to live out in Logan, would you really want to live in a granny flat that far from the City? I would be looking at what you currently get for your rental dollar in that area.
Rents are already falling closer in to the City, too many investors creating too many rentals?

Would probably need a corresponding explosion in population in Logan, or there will just be a lot of empty granny flats.
I think people are looking at it with Sydney eyes. There is no shortage of space in the greater Brisbane area. If you were to live out in Logan, would you really want to live in a granny flat that far from the City? I would be looking at what you currently get for your rental dollar in that area.
Rents are already falling closer in to the City, too many investors creating too many rentals?

I have properties all over Logan and all of them a dozen applications from day one, some with granny flats some without, couple to add too

High yields, good capital growth, never a day vacant, excellent tenants,

Still buying more, still making money

I have properties all over Logan and all of them a dozen applications from day one, some with granny flats some without, couple to add too
High yields, good capital growth, never a day vacant, excellent tenants,
Still buying more, still making money

Sounds a little ambiguous. Still buying? 1 per day, 1 per month, 1 per year? Would indicate if you're making a dent in supply.
Never a day vacant? Have you had any leases expire or still within 1st lease?
They're all excellent tenants until they're not.

Back