Upcoming Brisbane Storm

The 15 years I lived in Brisbane, basically most of my time was spent in the south east - Mt Gravatt, MacGregor, Sunnybank, Sunnybank Hills, Runcorn, Eight Mile Plains, Calamvale, parts of Logan. Along Mains Rd and Kessels Rd etc. That 15-20k pocket I suppose from Mt Gravatt down to the north part of Logan. Most of my friends and family and all our investments are within this pocket. I guess this is the area I'm saying never seems to be affected.
Those areas have been lucky the last couple of storms, but I think it's just that: luck. (With respect to storms; floods obviously more predictable.)

Here's Bulimba Creek at Eight Mile Plains earlier this afternoon:

B-RTK0MCYAAfse_.jpg

Buckets of rain have fallen today with plenty of road closures and flooding in areas that tend to be flood prone- but no high winds. Our roof at work was leaking because gutters couldnt handle the deluge. They said on the news we (Brisbane) were hit with a rain/storm low unrelated to the cyclone up north. Hopefully the cyclone blows out :( . Rain has eased considerably this afternoon.

You can't blame the forecasters.

These days everyone expects a personal warning otherwise there is an outcry.

My concern for this cyclone is that it is acting exactly like cyclone wanda which caused brisbanes 1974 flood. Let's hope it keeps moving.
Marg.

I wasn't aware of this part of it. I guess it's like the boy who cried wolf.

At the end of Jan there was supposed to be some really serious weather. The media had my Sydney friend freaking out over his investment there. I went up to visit and thought what the heck is this, it's just a bad storm at worst.

I don't think the people of Yeppoon would think that the BOM was crying wolf

I'm expecting that by the time it gets here there wont be any wind left.

I spent the past two days at work teaching scared children and much younger staff who have not been here during any real cyclones, that the media is talking about a small area of central Qld and extrapolating it to the south east. As usual, BS meters on high alert.

I guess that the average Gen Y TV reporter doesn't know what a "Low" is.

In defence of Jerry, where I live almost never gets any big storms. They seem to regularly affect the south west region from Boonah and Beaudesert, developing in the Border Ranges. That is why land around the Mt Lindsay Highway corridor is generally cheaper than elsewhere.

On a lighter note:
Did you know cyclones in the Northern hemisphere twist anti clockwise and in the Southern hemisphere they twist clockwise.. Also part of a cyclones direction is partly fueled by the earths rotations :eek:
Learn somethin new every day ;)

Few years ago there was a cyclone north of Cooktown, media assembled there in anticipation and the tv shots showed an up turned hull in the Endeavour river which had been there forever. The implication to the national audience was that it was damage caused by the cyclone

Last edited:
Still showering constantly here in Bayside and a couple roads closed for now due to flooding but alternate roads to the area still accessible. Haven't seen rains like this for a while.

This might be useful for a bit of "advanced warning" for flooding. The Somerset dam feeds into the Wivenhoe dam which is the one they do controlled release of water if it overfills. This is the last Dam feeding the Brisbane river and if it fills the excess water will have to be released into the Brisbane river which will cause the city areas to flood. At the moment looks like all the flood capacity at wivenhoe is unused and there is still 20% of normal storage to go.

Not sure about the other dams and the rivers they release water into but quite a few are spilling?

http://www.seqwater.com.au/water-supply/dam-levels

Usually heavy rainfall can be contained, but if too much water comes like in 2011, water has to be released.

ADDit : Wivenhoe Dam @ 7.44pm is now 85.1% full, up 5% since morning, at current rate it will take more than a week to fill up the dam and its spare flood capacity.

Last edited:
Back