Upcoming Brisbane Storm

If you have not yet contacted your tenants now would be a good time to touch base and advise them to close all there windows, move anything off the ground that they don?t want to get wet and clean all drains.

It looks like it going to get very wet over the next couple of days.

Where do you people live anyway?

I lived in Brisbane for 15 years, and every year or two there was an epic storm coming that was all over the news, and every year it turned out to be just some bad rain and no more.

Sure you have the occasional freak (2011), but pretty much every year the rains turn out to be nothing to worry about. Why does everyone get so worked up? Or maybe it's just because I didn't live in a flood zone? (15k's south of the city)

Last edited:
I like several others on this forum are up further north in the cyclone's path and I have to say the media has a habit of beating these things up, every thunderstorm these days seems to be a 'Superstorm'!
Granted it is a Cat 5 cyclone and some areas will certainly feel the full brunt of it, it's almost a laugh watching the reporters say that there's giant waves etc. when clearly in the background there is very little swell.

I like several others on this forum are up further north in the cyclone's path and I have to say the media has a habit of beating these things up, every thunderstorm these days seems to be a 'Superstorm'!
Granted it is a Cat 5 cyclone and some areas will certainly feel the full brunt of it, it's almost a laugh watching the reporters say that there's giant waves etc. when clearly in the background there is very little swell.

I sure hope you're right. I just noticed that the insurance on my two Rockhampton properties has lapsed!

I sure hope you're right. I just noticed that the insurance on my two Rockhampton properties has lapsed!

Better get on the phone Spludgey!

I really hope for everyone's sake it peters out while it tracks over land but it's still going strong. I have to say after working in WA and having to prepare for a couple of cyclones there I'm surprised at how unprepared some people are here, there's still people driving around and I had to advise some of our neighbours (long time residents) to either take their outdoor furniture etc. inside or tie it all together/to a post.

exactly my point

probably because it's a Cat5 cyclone

I wasn't aware of this part of it. I guess it's like the boy who cried wolf.

At the end of Jan there was supposed to be some really serious weather. The media had my Sydney friend freaking out over his investment there. I went up to visit and thought what the heck is this, it's just a bad storm at worst.

Where do you people live anyway?

I lived in Brisbane for 15 years, and every year or two there was an epic storm coming that was all over the news, and every year it turned out to be just some bad rain and no more.

Sure you have the occasional freak (2011), but pretty much every year the rains turn out to be nothing to worry about. Why does everyone get so worked up? Or maybe it's just because I didn't live in a flood zone? (15k's south of the city)

In the last three years we've had two "epic" storms and an ex cyclone tomorrow.

The hail storm caused over $180k damage to one of my commercial properties. It's still covered in 400 square meters of plastic tarps with ropes holding them down, no of which will benefit from strong winds and rain. That property is in the city to answer your *** of a question.

Please be a little less flippant with your commentary:mad:

In the last three years we've had two "epic" storms and an ex cyclone tomorrow.

The hail storm caused over $180k damage to one of my commercial properties. It's still covered in 400 square meters of plastic tarps with ropes holding them down, no of which will benefit from strong winds and rain. That property is in the city to answer your *** of a question.

Please be a little less flippant with your commentary:mad:

I have 4 properties in Brisbane and I travel there about 6-8 times a year. I also know many other investors up there and have many friends and family, and every time I ask they say "what storm?". Even during the 2011 flood not a single person I knew was affected. I'm not trying to be an ***, I'm just genuinely curious, because I find it difficult to reconcile what I see on the news and what I see first hand. We must be in areas that just aren't affected (SE Brisbane). Again not trying to create controversy here, but I guess it would be useful for reporters to be more specific about this stuff. Just saying "Brisbane" as a whole is about to be smashed doesn't help people living outside the city like me. Brisbane is a big, big city.

I wasn't aware of this part of it. I guess it's like the boy who cried wolf.

At the end of Jan there was supposed to be some really serious weather. The media had my Sydney friend freaking out over his investment there. I went up to visit and thought what the heck is this, it's just a bad storm at worst.

Do you think BOM would better serve us by talking up the best case scenario.

Maybe they could tell us the least rainfall that might fall or the weakest wind strength, now that would be helpful!

Never been much for ranting but Jerry you've got me going.

Even during the 2011 flood not a single person I knew was affected.
I and many other forumites were. After a 2 1/2 year battle for our insurer to pay up - even though we had flood insurance :mad: - we're still not back in our home.

Maybe we should be whining more to remind you all that those disasters aren't over for everybody yet. :(

I and many other forumites were. After a 2 1/2 year battle for our insurer to pay up - even though we had flood insurance :mad: - we're still not back in our home.

Maybe we should be whining more to remind you all that those disasters aren't over for everybody yet. :(

To be fair, I did start my very first post with "Where do you people live anyway?"

I'm trying to ascertain where this is actually happening, which is kind of important as an investor... because time and time again the storms come and time after time I'm never affected, so this leads me to think only very specific areas are ever hit. I'm not trying to hurt feelings here. But it does seem to me that if these storms only seem to hit very specific areas with such incredible consistency then it should really guide investment.

I lived in Brisbane since 95 (and have since moved out as I said) but have kept very close contact. I think nearly two decades of experience is enough for me to conclude that it just doesn't seem to be a Brisbane-wide problem, which lead me back to my original question...

To be fair, I did start my very first post with "Where do you people live anyway?"
Flood maps are widely available; the areas most affected are near creeks and rivers, and some suburbs that are further away from the water but low-lying and affected by water backing up the stormwater drains, such as Rocklea and Milton.

The storms in November 2014 mainly hit a strip from Archerfield, out to Toowong and Annerley, and up to Bowen Hills. (My IP in Spring Hill lost nearly every window.)

The November 2008 storms were centred on The Gap.

Wipe out all those areas and there really aren't that many parts of Brisbane unaffected. And even if they were, what's to stop the next storm hitting Carindale (for example) or Aspley?

Flood maps are widely available; the areas most affected are near creeks and rivers, and some suburbs that are further away from the water but low-lying and affected by water backing up the stormwater drains, such as Rocklea and Milton.

The storms in November 2014 mainly hit a strip from Archerfield, out to Toowong and Annerley, and up to Bowen Hills. (My IP in Spring Hill lost nearly every window.)

The November 2008 storms were centred on The Gap.

Wipe out all those areas and there really aren't that many parts of Brisbane unaffected. And even if they were, what's to stop the next storm hitting Carindale (for example) or Aspley?

Yeah the maps are useful but not necessarily where the storms are right? You can have a storm in one area but it's ultimately where the run-off is.

The 15 years I lived in Brisbane, basically most of my time was spent in the south east - Mt Gravatt, MacGregor, Sunnybank, Sunnybank Hills, Runcorn, Eight Mile Plains, Calamvale, parts of Logan. Along Mains Rd and Kessels Rd etc. That 15-20k pocket I suppose from Mt Gravatt down to the north part of Logan. Most of my friends and family and all our investments are within this pocket. I guess this is the area I'm saying never seems to be affected.

Back