Upgrade Car or Not?

Who's to say the camry won't need new tyres?

Also, my opinion is the corolla is more bullet proof.

So if i had to upgrade, I would upgraded to a newer corolla :)
(I'm a bit biased, I've owned/bought new a 2003 corolla and its served me fine, its now been handed over to my sister and a drive a subaru now).

2009 Auto Corolla with 55,000km = 10k approx.
2011 Auto Corolla with 55,000km = 13k approx.

This is straight off carsales (private sales) listing, so a further $500 to $1k off the listed price is reasonable.

Camry's are a similar price, but have around 100,000km.

I think this ad says it all :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbsyEI78m5s

A couple of years ago I was driving my '85 Camry and a lady in a new model Corolla driving in the opposite direction decided to turn into the shopping centre on my side of the road and cut me off. The collision was low impact (by the time we hit I was going maybe 10kmh) and the Camry ended up with a bit of a scuff on the front bumper but the Corolla was a write off as the chassis got bent.....

Then again, if I was in a high speed impact I know which car I would rather be in....

Its all about the angle which the impact occurs.

About 1 month ago, my brother in law was driving his corolla (2006 model) when a taxi driver (new model camry), merged into his lane at about 40km

The camry copped some major damage to the front, his corolla had a scuff mark and a minor dent.

A couple of years ago I was driving my '85 Camry and a lady in a new model Corolla driving in the opposite direction decided to turn into the shopping centre on my side of the road and cut me off. The collision was low impact (by the time we hit I was going maybe 10kmh) and the Camry ended up with a bit of a scuff on the front bumper but the Corolla was a write off as the chassis got bent.....

Then again, if I was in a high speed impact I know which car I would rather be in....

this is exactly what you would expect - you want your car to crumple. Think of it this way, the energy must go somewhere, so if the car doesn't crumple and absorb it then it will be your body and everything else around it in the alternative

Its all about the angle which the impact occurs.

True. It was the front corner of the Corolla that hit my car. Had it been a direct perpendicular hit I'm sure the Corolla would not have been a write off, just would have needed panels replaced.

I was still surprised that what was a relatively low impact hit still did the damage it did.

this is exactly what you would expect - you want your car to crumple. Think of it this way, the energy must go somewhere, so if the car doesn't crumple and absorb it then it will be your body and everything else around it in the alternative

Yes and no. I understand the reason behind having a crumple zone on a car but I would expect a bit more rigidity in a situation like I'm describing.

I'm sure if it was a person I hit at the speed I was going the most damage I would have done to them would have been some bruising, certainly not broken bones.

What about driving around in a prime mover. Seriously, they don't have airbags as far as I'm aware and they're much safer than an ordinary car.

What about driving around in a prime mover. Seriously, they don't have airbags as far as I'm aware and they're much safer than an ordinary car.

you make a good point, there is compromise with everything we do. I have been driving an auto buzz box, been looking to go to a bigger car. the other day I did something and thought to myself "oooh, if I had a bigger car I would have come to grief then I reckon" and am starting to think I enjoy the no headaches zippiness of the small car and perhaps mass is not the be all and end all of saftey

I enjoy the no headaches zippiness of the small car and perhaps mass is not the be all and end all of saftey

relative mass matters............ otherwise both Newton and later Einstein were wrong :)

lets look at cars from the same stable to keep things simple

I will choose benz, but you can do the same with say Toyota - Yaris vs Kluger.

A class 5 star rated

S class 5 star rated

there is mass, there is BULK, and there is relative mass and structure.

I think we know which we would prefer to be coocooned by.

not same marque, but 5 star smarts v 4 star bulk

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/fight-on!

ta
rolf

relative mass matters............ otherwise both Newton and later Einstein were wrong :)

yes but it does depend (see post #12). and it only matters if you do actually get into an accident, if all that mass is what caused you to get into trouble then it is a false economy. better to avoid the accident altogether.

lets look at cars from the same stable to keep things simple

I will choose benz, but you can do the same with say Toyota - Yaris vs Kluger.

A class 5 star rated

S class 5 star rated

there is mass, there is BULK, and there is relative mass and structure.

I think we know which we would prefer to be coocooned by.

not same marque, but 5 star smarts v 4 star bulk

http://www.topgear.com/uk/car-news/fight-on!

ta
rolf

Rolf, was that link to last night's Top Gear? I was about to link to it myself. The Marauder getting through a war zone.

Tesla's are undeniably groundbreaking cars....but I suspect they will be lacking the soul and character that many look for when purchasing a high performance, luxury vehicle

I'd want to be doing 0-100 with a screaming V8/10/12 through a tunnel - not in complete silence! :D

Now fellas, you are getting off track here. We are trying to help our friend to make a sound financial decision, not take on a second mortgage to pay for his next car.

I would get the new car. Better fuel economy and more pleasurable driving.

Your current 90s car will have ANCAP safety stars of zero. There will not be all the current mandatory safety features such as ABS, ESC, airbags etc. The mandatory features are all proven to have a safety benefit. Then there are all the extra gizmos that give you convenience such as bluetooth, rear sensors, etc.

I think the safety aspect is the overriding impetus to change, whats the purpose of saving a few dollars if you are dead or injured.

Back