Upgrade PPOR or Start Investing in Real Estate

Hi all,

This is my first post on here. I've been lurking for the last few months reading up as much as I can in the time I have available. This forum is fantastic and I really wish I had found it sooner. Anyway, on to my question...

We are a single income family (both 30) with my wife at home looking after our 3 year old son. We currently have a PPOR in Sydney worth approx $700,000 with equity of around $520,000. It's a 4 bedroom single level, double garage etc. It's big enough, but could do with larger living areas for when we have 2 children growing up later down the track. I have been looking at investing in property for a while and using our current equity as our mortgage is quite low now.

We went to see our accountant who is my brother in law and he said that before we invest in property, consider if you want to upgrade your PPOR for a growing family beforehand. This threw a cat amongst the pigeons and we have since been out looking at what we can get for our money nearby in Kellyville and surrounding areas. It's really going to cost anywhere from $850,000 to $1 mill to secure a larger, nicer house.

So the question is, (I realise it's ultimately only a question my wife and I can answer, just looking for opinions on what others would do) would you upgrade your PPOR first and take on a larger mortgage (say $400k) or be satisfied with a more regular house and start investing in property? As mentioned, we are single income approx $125k a year. Buying a larger house would put off the ability to invest for 3 - 5 years I would expect.

I have a feeling investing will ultimately make us better off, but possibly at the cost of lifestyle in the short term. I'm willing to make sacrifices thoughif it will pay off in the long run through. Perhaps we could invest over the next 5 - 10 years and use the potential gains to upgrade our PPOR later down the track?

I'm obviously very new at this and am trying to soak up as much info as possible. I'm inspired by the people who say they can or are aiming to retire early and live off the cash from sale or investment properties or the rent. I would very much like to do this if possible.

Apologies for the long first post. We are at a cross roads and this decision will obviously have a big effect on our future finances and lifestyle.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Personally I'd be looking at investing now, especially as it seems that you won't need the space for a few years yet. You have good equity, and would be in a good position to support an IP for now.

Your house sounds quite big as it is. Do you really need an upgrade?

I agree it's usually better to do the investing first as that gives you the platform to upgrade to a new PPOR at any time you want. For example, you could always buy the future PPOR as an investment first and then move into it when you want/can/should.

Hard decision to make,

Personally I would invest and perhaps do a reno on the current PPOR to make it more enjoyable for your self and your family, then later on when the kids are a little bit older you will have 2 properties under your belt you will be in a stronger position to buy a new PPOR...

Thanks so much for the advice so far. I tend to agree, so I'm glad that my line of thinking seems to be correct. If we were to stay in our current PPOR we would probably redo the kitchen, the rest is all in good condition and reasonably modern.

I guess it's time to do more research on where to invest.

One question I do have is how do people organise valuations when they have multiple properties and are looking to buy the next. Is this something they organise privately or would the bank value each of the properties currently owned?

Also I've read about people putting their investment properties in a trust of some sort. What is the reason for doing this?

Happy to search the forums if these have been explained many times before.

Cheers,

Neal

Hi all,

This is my first post on here. I've been lurking for the last few months reading up as much as I can in the time I have available. This forum is fantastic and I really wish I had found it sooner. Anyway, on to my question...

We are a single income family (both 30) with my wife at home looking after our 3 year old son. We currently have a PPOR in Sydney worth approx $700,000 with equity of around $520,000. It's a 4 bedroom single level, double garage etc. It's big enough, but could do with larger living areas for when we have 2 children growing up later down the track. I have been looking at investing in property for a while and using our current equity as our mortgage is quite low now.

We went to see our accountant who is my brother in law and he said that before we invest in property, consider if you want to upgrade your PPOR for a growing family beforehand. This threw a cat amongst the pigeons and we have since been out looking at what we can get for our money nearby in Kellyville and surrounding areas. It's really going to cost anywhere from $850,000 to $1 mill to secure a larger, nicer house.

So the question is, (I realise it's ultimately only a question my wife and I can answer, just looking for opinions on what others would do) would you upgrade your PPOR first and take on a larger mortgage (say $400k) or be satisfied with a more regular house and start investing in property? As mentioned, we are single income approx $125k a year. Buying a larger house would put off the ability to invest for 3 - 5 years I would expect.

I have a feeling investing will ultimately make us better off, but possibly at the cost of lifestyle in the short term. I'm willing to make sacrifices thoughif it will pay off in the long run through. Perhaps we could invest over the next 5 - 10 years and use the potential gains to upgrade our PPOR later down the track?

I'm obviously very new at this and am trying to soak up as much info as possible. I'm inspired by the people who say they can or are aiming to retire early and live off the cash from sale or investment properties or the rent. I would very much like to do this if possible.

Apologies for the long first post. We are at a cross roads and this decision will obviously have a big effect on our future finances and lifestyle.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hi Neal,

Welcome to the forum. Just in case you don't know, this is a property investment forum and if you ask whether you should invest in IP here, almost everyone will say yes ;)

bez

Delayed gratification 101 right there ;)

I'm a big believer in delayed gratification. Just ask my kids.

I always ask the question, is it essential or non essential. If it's non essential don't waste your money. Jan Somers taught me that.

We also rented for ten years whilst we were accumulating investments.

We have paid down our mortgage on our PPOR so we owe $1000. We have an offset account so now when we take money out of our mortgage for investment purposes, it is tax deductible. Something to consider.

I also have a brother in law who is an accountant but I don't use him. I don't want my in-laws knowing my business. I want someone who is on the same page as me and my investment goals. How many investment properties does your brother in law own?

I think the first thing you should consider doing is set some goals. That will answer whether you renovate or not.

Good luck!

One question I do have is how do people organise valuations when they have multiple properties and are looking to buy the next. Is this something they organise privately or would the bank value each of the properties currently owned?

You can ask your broker to organise a valuation for your property and see how you go from there. Should be free.

We were in exactly your position around 20 years ago. Our PPOR was fine for our family and we were happy living there.

We chose to invest in two IPs (things were different back in the late 1980s regarding finance availability). Overall we sold them for around 3 times what we paid.

Regarding your present home, I would have two things to suggest you consider.

My first thought for you is your double garage. We turned ours into a big family room, so this may be a possibility for you if the garage is attached to the house. We were able to add a (council approved) double carport in front of the ex-garage for our cars.

The second is schooling. Your child is 3, so within the next 2-3 years you will be looking at schools. Check out the schools around you and ensure you are happy to send your child there.

This is a very personal decision, but if both you and your wife are happy to stay, even for another 5 years or so till your family increases, then buying an IP now would make good financial sense without limiting your future options very much.
Marg

PS: We are still in this PPOR, been here for 35 years this month!

Back