Upgrading PPOR in top end blue chip suburbs?

It's pretty soft on for volume of sales in some of those areas at the moment.
The likes of Nedlands and Floreat seem to be struggling to move a lot of their stock, particularly Nedlands. Good opportunity for someone whose willing to take the plunge while rates are low.
I would rather be the one whose trying to get in at the minute, than the one whose being forced to get out.
Really nice the western suburbs, great schools both public and private and terrific lifestyle if you can afford it.

I think Ausprop purchased in Floreat some time ago now, nice large block which could be subdivided down the track would be a real winner, be interested in his views

Last edited:
It's pretty soft on for volume of sales in some of those areas at the moment.
The likes of Nedlands and Floreat seem to be struggling to move a lot of their stock, particularly Nedlands. Good opportunity for someone whose willing to take the plunge while rates are low.

I've noticed Nedlands moving pretty quickly for properties priced right. Dalkeith and Peppy Grove a lot slower, with some potential good deals around! I'm just doubtful of how much future growth in these suburbs, considering the high entry point.

I've noticed Nedlands moving pretty quickly for properties priced right. Dalkeith and Peppy Grove a lot slower, with some potential good deals around! I'm just doubtful of how much future growth in these suburbs, considering the high entry point.

According to REIWA, Dalkeith and Peppermint Grove have ~8% growth rates for past 10 years, why do you think it'd be different going forward? They've always been the highest entry point.

According to REIWA, Dalkeith and Peppermint Grove have ~8% growth rates for past 10 years, why do you think it'd be different going forward? They've always been the highest entry point.

I wouldn't put too much stock in Reiwa data, not exactly the most independant or objective of organisations where Perth real estate is concerned. Regardless Dalkieth and Peppy Grove is really an exclusive market within a market .

I wonder whether Floreat might be the suburb to get a haircut in terms or zoning laws, a lot of very large blocks with seriously old knockdowns only on them. Even the houses situated on the main arterial routes through that suburb are set well back from the road and surely the local councils would be itching to see them broken up and be paying the extra rates that go with a bit of higher density.

Nedlands is a nice suburb on the southern side of Stirling Highway although the Northern end closer to the railway line isn't as popular and this is where most of the cheaper properties within the area are located. It's a well located suburb which offers a lovely lifestyle close to the city without the terrible congestion which afflicts the likes of Cottesloe and Mosman Park.

Jolimont, Shenton Park both very nice but difficult to get into. Plenty of execs with families willing to rent or buy here because of the High School and proximity to the city as well as all the sporting facilities close by.

Claremont, Cottesloe, Mosman Park, overpriced and overrated in my opinion.

Subiaco, too many apartments( a glut ) has turned this into legoland, terrible traffic congestion, commercial properties struggling to find tenants, most of the older houses have already been chopped in terms of land area.
Apart from proximity to the city, not sure what the attraction will be especially when they lose the football stadium as well.
At best is always fully valued and is a massively overrated place.

Blue chip suburbs are expensive (and therefore very popular) for very good reasons, and this will ensure growth in the future. Assuming relatively stable economic conditions.
So you have to weigh up whether those reasons are enough to justify the expense to live there.
I agree that the western suburbs are a bit overrated, it's all a bit homogenous for me, but it depends on what you're looking for. Inner north is where it's at for me :)

Another option ... rent in blue chip areas and hold IP's in other areas.

Get the landlord to pay huge rates and landtax while you rent at 3.5% of the value of the property

Get the landlord to pay huge rates and landtax while you rent at 3.5% of the value of the property

This would definitely be much better on cashflow.
Isn't land tax exempt for PPOR?
Also CG tax exemption can be a great bonus too.
Tax free equity gains on a good PPOR could be a good strategy, depending on your circumstances.

Demand is tied to the health of the economy, which all things being equal, ain't looking as flash as it did a few years ago.

I'm not familiar with the area, but in general, when things look bad is the best time to buy for a decent price.
Don't buy when things are looking too good, or you'll overpay.

This is what im currently doing, landlord is getting a 3.4% gross yield, probably around the 2.5% mark once strata fees, maintenance, manegement fees etc taken into account.

You don't pay land tax on primary residence in Perth.

Back