Upkeep on timber homes - frequent? expensive?

A property manager who gave me a rental appraisal on a home also mentioned concerns about the upkeep as there was a lot of timber. Having never had anything but BVs, I hadn't given this much thought. Does anyone here have past experience with the upkeep of a timber home along the lines of this one?
Aussie%202.JPG

What exactly would need to be done & how often? Any other negatives?

Probably restain/recoat oil every 5-7 years to protect the timber from fading, cracking, splitting, warping, drying out....

Annual subfloor inspection for timber eating varmints.

Probably restain/recoat oil every 5-7 years to protect the timber from fading, cracking, splitting, warping, drying out....

Annual subfloor inspection for timber eating varmints.

Thanks Scott No Mates :( Sounds like too much hard work/$$$ for this lazy tight @^$# :p

Timber needs protection, if it is like the picture, your in for lots of work I would say, if it is painted timber, ideally 10-15 years needs re doing. Some leave it a lot longer, may depend on how weather hits house.

but

you could clad in some type of material like plastic based or al ... windows would still need doing from time to time if timber.

Timber needs protection, if it is like the picture, your in for lots of work I would say, if it is painted timber, ideally 10-15 years needs re doing. Some leave it a lot longer, may depend on how weather hits house.

but

you could clad in some type of material like plastic based or al ... windows would still need doing from time to time if timber.

The real timber, for me, is what gives it its charm, so I would hate to clad. I would also hate to have to be paying to have it oiled every 5-7yrs, so I'll have to rule this style out I think.

We had a timber house - was meant to be ppor but didn't work out that way and turned into IP. VERY expensive to maintain and also trying to get trades out to do the work was a night mare - the house was a little bit out of suburbia and none could be bothered going out there.

We sold it after 2 years, it wasn't a good investment - very beautiful but not practical.

We had a timber house - was meant to be ppor but didn't work out that way and turned into IP. VERY expensive to maintain and also trying to get trades out to do the work was a night mare - the house was a little bit out of suburbia and none could be bothered going out there.

We sold it after 2 years, it wasn't a good investment - very beautiful but not practical.

Thanks Jess, now I understand why the one that's caught my eye has been on the market for quite a while.

The real timber, for me, is what gives it its charm, so I would hate to clad. I would also hate to have to be paying to have it oiled every 5-7yrs, so I'll have to rule this style out I think.

Understand that.

Maybe one day they will make some no maintenance cladding that looks identical :)

Also, if the oil is anything like deck oil, forget that sort of lengthy time between oils, read up on how often people have to do decks.

Back