Upper North Shore update

Spent yesterday looking at properties in upper north shore , In the 1.5 - 2.5 range , Pymble - Wahroonga .

Came away with the conclusion our property is conservatively worth around 20 % more than it was a year ago .

Came away with a few observations. The typical North short buyer is some one who grew up there , moved to somewhere closer to the centre of the city / inner west in their 20's and 30 to get away from the north shore , but like migrating salmon , they are drawn back their in their 30's to raise their family....

There are currently two further groups now buying houses in the north shore .

There have been multiple units built along the pacific hwy in recent years and people were buying these , eg a 2 bedder in preference to a 1 bedder in a more central area. They bought because they saw good value , but have actually liked the area and are now looking to buy their first house in the area.

As mentioned Epping elsewhere has been booming to the point where you can have to pay 2 - 2.4 for a nice suburban house . The railway has been a significant driver , but Epping is an area that has access to the best performing state School ( James Ruse ) as well as Kings. Epping is historically cheaper than the north shore , but currently , its going crazy over there . The agents I talked too report significant numbers of buyers from that region who have realized that you can get something nicer for less on the north shore , and ( maybe I'm biased ...) I think the North Shore is a nice place.

So what''s happening . Up to 5-6 weeks ago the market was Crazy , with most auctions having several bidders and prices 3-400 above reserve were not uncommon . For houses sold at that time this wound have been around another 10- 15 % on top of the generally accepted 15-20 % price rise .

That Crazy period has stopped . There are some vendors who are bringing properties on the market with the expectation of getting that extra 10- 15 % , but with the heat out of the market and in the setting of a non competative set price sale , those properties aren't selling.

There are still lots of buyers out there but they're no longer fighting to get anything that comes on the market . But properties that are coming onto the market with correct pricing ( 20 % up from a year ago ) are selling , and some on the day of listing. Anything that has a realistic vendor is selling .

We saw a couple of houses that went to auction 5-6 weeks ago and had top offers that we were very good , but the vendors got greedy thinking they should get more and now they on the market for less than the top offers. The properties had some significant negatives , close to major road , low ceilings , bad / date floor plan etc.

One recurring comment was about the lack of stock . One agent said they had one third the stock levels of a year ago . There was some difference of opinions about how much supply they have coming on the market in the near future with some saying there was very little and some saying they had a few coming on the market after school holidays.

The number of people at the opens was similar to when we bought in the middle of last year . Steady but not busy , but school holidays is a quieter time for buying on the north shore. We were able to spend time having detailed conversation about the specific property and the market in general with all agents.

There is money out there . We chatted to one couple in their early 30's with three young kids . The house we looking at was asking 1.7 and I though it was over priced considering several major negatives ( very closer to Freeway with constant noise , slightly dysfunction plan and a weird back yard . I asked the husband what he thought . He replied he didn't know , they were looking around 3 mill . They were interested in the house up the road and saw the sign down here so they thought they'd pop in .....

So my conclusion is the market is still good for selling , but you need to know what to ask or you will be ignored. There are low stock levels , though more coming on and there are buyers out there .

The agents don't expect a sudden return to a crazy period but a steady market . What really happens will depend on supply Vs demand . I don't expect a major increase in prices over winter , but it will be interesting to see what happens.

Everyone was talking about recent articles talking about the property boom being over. The agents were frustrated .... but it may well have been responsible for taking the heat out of the market .

The general conclusion is that there are journalists in Fairfax, who cant get into the market .....:rolleyes::eek:

Cliff

From our perspective thats a very good analysis that extends to the Central Coast too Cliff.

Only that CC is still lagging slightly due to peeps from the Big Smoke cashing in and coming up for a bit more lifestyle, eg: Closer to beach and cash left over.

I'll give it till Spring on the CC for the similar slowdown.

But right now it's as hot as haydies.

I don't understand why houses in Epping are selling for more than houses in Wollstonecraft

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-wollstonecraft-116321527

I think Epping is very overpriced due to the Chinese investor factor. Epping, along with Eastwood has some really crazy prices especially the one near the train station. Most if not all of the buyers are Asian.

James Ruse is actually a non-factor due to the fact that it is a selective high school and there is no residential boundary for enrolment. It is decided by selective entry exams. However Epping Boys' and Cheltenham Girls' is a factor as they are some of the best non-selective public high schools (behind Cherrybrook Tech High and Killara High).

I don't understand why houses in Epping are selling for more than houses in Wollstonecraft

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-wollstonecraft-116321527

I think it will probably be a short term aberration driven by people who are looking at that specifiic area and not looking out side .

It is being driven by the railway connection to Chatswood , and the proliferation of high end companies around Macquarie , but some off the people who have been chasing properties there have woken to the fact that compared to other areas around there it's now over priced relatively.

It does seem to be Australians of Asian Decent driving Epping.

Cliff

James Ruse is actually a non-factor due to the fact that it is a selective high school and there is no residential boundary for enrolment. It is decided by selective entry exams. However Epping Boys' and Cheltenham Girls' is a factor as they are some of the best non-selective public high schools (behind Cherrybrook Tech High and Killara High).

Some people who's Kids going to James Ruse don't wanttheir kids travelling half way across the City . They want to live near by :)

Cliff

There is money out there . We chatted to one couple in their early 30's with three young kids . The house we looking at was asking 1.7 and I though it was over priced considering several major negatives ( very closer to Freeway with constant noise , slightly dysfunction plan and a weird back yard . I asked the husband what he thought . He replied he didn't know , they were looking around 3 mill . They were interested in the house up the road and saw the sign down here so they thought they'd pop in .....

I am always amazed at the number of people in their early 30s, with kids, who can easily afford a 3 mil PPOR. Is this old family money or are there many people who have made it by their early 30s? At this age group, it is too early to have made it from the professions so they must all be finance / corporate types?

Some people who's Kids going to James Ruse don't wanttheir kids travelling half way across the City . They want to live near by :)

Cliff

Oh then they can all live at Carlingford instead .... Also James Ruse is not the only selective high school in Sydney (even though a lot of Asian parents thinks that it is the ONLY school worth going :rolleyes: :D ).

Epping also has benefit of limited stops country trains to city, plus close access to Macquarie Uni and Macquarie Park station, which upper north shore does not really have (apart from the houses along Comenarra Parkway and Yanko Road).

I did hear that there will be 3000+ units building next to Epping station in near future so if that is the case there should be plenty of supply soon ....

I am always amazed at the number of people in their early 30s, with kids, who can easily afford a 3 mil PPOR. Is this old family money or are there many people who have made it by their early 30s? At this age group, it is too early to have made it from the professions so they must all be finance / corporate types?

I think some of them have parents paying a significant deposit for them, and they can service the loan easily. Otherwise they borrow to their eyeballs and buy it because all their friends do it.

I think some of them have parents paying a significant deposit for them, and they can service the loan easily. Otherwise they borrow to their eyeballs and buy it because all their friends do it.

Servicing a loan of 3 mil at 5% p.a. is 150k per year after tax dollars. Assuming that you are living with a wife and three kids, i.e. family of five in a 3 mil home, you best hope that your 500k plus income per year is not interrupted.

could be...

or just a professional couple with a combined income of $350k living in a culture where debt is the norm

$3mil house is only around $700k outlay with 20% deposit inc. costs...repayments around $150k a year at an average 6%.....childcare might have to stop though....there's always grandma...

could be...

or just a professional couple with a combined income of $350k living in a culture where debt is the norm

$3mil house is only around $700k outlay with 20% deposit inc. costs...repayments around $150k a year at an average 6%.....childcare might have to stop though....there's always grandma...

And we have not yet factored in the private school fees for three kids yet. The GPS schools on the upper north shore are not cheap. Maybe thats why access to James Ruse is so important.

I want to auction the other day and the house sold for 965k. anyway i was standing next to the father and son who won the house and the whole time this guy about 35 was saying "dad, can i?" "what do you think" after every bid. theres heaps of people being helped by there parents.

And we have not yet factored in the private school fees for three kids yet. The GPS schools on the upper north shore are not cheap. Maybe thats why access to James Ruse is so important.

don't you know the latest trend?

make $1 spend $2!

The below property was purchased by a couple with very young children. Interesting fact is that they only walked through the property minutes before the auction and then were the winning buyers.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-north+epping-116225771

Hi Chilli

What did you think of the price for that . Plenty of rooms but ? did they seem on the small side . Also looking at the map , was it too close to railway , main roads etc. Back ground noise ?

Interesting the underbidders for parents house in Roseville before christmas only saw it that morning . They helped drive it well over expectations , but lost out to a south asian family who had relatives in the street .

Cliff

Back