Upper North Shore update

Hi Chilli

What did you think of the price for that . Plenty of rooms but ? did they seem on the small side . Also looking at the map , was it too close to railway , main roads etc. Back ground noise ?

Interesting the underbidders for parents house in Roseville before christmas only saw it that morning . They helped drive it well over expectations , but lost out to a south asian family who had relatives in the street .

Cliff

It was an emotional buy. Horrible layout if you have young children or are older with all the stairs. No real yard and they had a fire reach their back door only a few months ago as the rear of the property faces a walking track.

It is also located at the end of a very steep road and you can hear the railway lines.

There have been better properties go for less only week ago.

What is evident is the number of first home buyers who only want properties ready to move and would not even consider repainting. Happy to pay the extra $$$.

I find the heatmaps on www.domain.com.au very useful. For instance...

http://apm.domain.com.au/Research/?...&LocationType=Suburb&State=NSW&SuburbId=48722

If a suburb is surrounded by ppurple coloured suburbs and the relevant suburb is a lighter red colour (lower median price) then if properties are fairly similar there is a tendency for the lighter colour suburb to be filled in to the same darker colour. I watched this happen with Bondi Junction in the East of Sydney. I reckon it will soon happen for Wollstonecraft on the lower north shore.

Turramurra is another suburb cheaper than surrounding suburbs (but I'm more keen on Wollstonecraft as being comparatively undervalued).

I see heat maps like a sailing race going from no wind to strengthening wind . First there is no wind...then a few zephyrs...then patches of breeze (diferent wind strengths in different areas)..eventually the wind "fills in" and the whole waterway receives the same windstrength.

PS this post is probably full of wind.

Turramurra will always be cheaper than Pymble or Warrawee. I dont think a heat map will work in an apples vs oranges context.
All a very nice part of the world btw..

Turramurra will always be cheaper than Pymble or Warrawee. I dont think a heat map will work in an apples vs oranges context.
All a very nice part of the world btw..

It's hard to make generalisations and at that level it comes down to individual street scapes , distance from station etc rather than which suburb you're in . You can get a pretty good idea of what's more popular just by looking down the street .

Cliff

I want to auction the other day and the house sold for 965k. anyway i was standing next to the father and son who won the house and the whole time this guy about 35 was saying "dad, can i?" "what do you think" after every bid. theres heaps of people being helped by there parents.

It is an interesting area. My wife grew up there and there are a lot of people who stay there but at the same time there are a lot that will not get to. My brother and sisters want to stay but living the lifestyle up there I don't they will. My wife tells me so and so bought this house or just renovated this house we should do that too, but when you do done basic numbers and know what they do for jobs the money has to come from someone helping them our in a big big way.

The house next door to the inlaws was up for sale 2 and half years ago for a lazy mil, sold for 880 to the real estate! It was an urgent sale unfortunately for the family. But I might have put up with living so close to get that bargain.... If we had the cash flow of course too!

It's hard to make generalisations and at that level it comes down to individual street scapes , distance from station etc rather than which suburb you're in . You can get a pretty good idea of what's more popular just by looking down the street .

Cliff

Sure does.

Just head down Kuringgai Avenue Turramurra and say that it doesn't hold it's own :)

Sure does.

Just head down Kuringgai Avenue Turramurra and say that it doesn't hold it's own :)

Hehe ... When I did my reply I thought about putting that in as an example and it's a lot nicer than our current street in wahroonga.

Interestingly a couple of those really nice houses are actually unit blocks , it's just they still look like off the set of To the manor born .

I noticed one was for sale last weekend . Not sure on price but the pics are nice :D. ....http://www.mcnee.com.au/buying/NSW/North-Shore-Upper/Turramurra/Apartment/1P0090

Cliff

I just had dinner with some people in Burwood. Normally suburbs in Chinese news would be written in English letters. Well, apparently the Chinese newspapers are now writing Eastwood in Chinese characters these days. But this person wasn't sure if they also do a chinese version of Epping.

Sure does.

I meant more on a broader macro level. Ofcourse you could compare one of the best east side Turramurra streets to a west side Warrawee or Pymble street and prove me wrong.

I meant that the median in Turramurra will always be lower.

The below property was purchased by a couple with very young children. Interesting fact is that they only walked through the property minutes before the auction and then were the winning buyers.

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-north+epping-116225771

Epping and North Epping is in demand because of the Cheltenham Girls and Epping Boys HS both of which are single sex public schools.

That is one seriously ugly house :eek:. (I know it comes down to individual taste, but this looks like a toilet block to my eyes.)

I meant more on a broader macro level. Ofcourse you could compare one of the best east side Turramurra streets to a west side Warrawee or Pymble street and prove me wrong.

I meant that the median in Turramurra will always be lower.

But arguing against your "median" point wouldn't make for entertaining internet commentary :D

Been following up on the houses we saw last weekend .

Normally houses on busy roads don't sell well on the north house .

Saw one on a busy road , near a busy intersection . Nice house ,new kitchen , but not big rooms . A noisy awkward position . Normally would be sitting on the market for many months .

We had indications of 1.5 , but sold for 1.6

Sold within weeks of going on market.

Cliff

Last edited:
I am always amazed at the number of people in their early 30s, with kids, who can easily afford a 3 mil PPOR. Is this old family money or are there many people who have made it by their early 30s? At this age group, it is too early to have made it from the professions so they must all be finance / corporate types?

I sit next to someone in early 30 married with 1 child and is looking for prop in north for over $1m.. This said his property in Shanghai tripled in last 5 years.. That's an insane CG.

Insane

Hiya

And that is why if i were Chinese and my property (s) in China has tripled IN FIVE YEARS what will i do? Hmmm...better get my money out...i smell bubble:D

Hiya

And that is why if i were Chinese and my property (s) in China has tripled IN FIVE YEARS what will i do? Hmmm...better get my money out...i smell bubble:D

But it isn't really a bubble on the major cities in China (Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou and Shenzhen, Hong Kong) as there are loads of people moving into those cities everyday. It is the 2nd, 3rd, 4th tier cities that are collapsing.

This house went up for Auction for this afternoon .

http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-pymble-116639471

It has plenty of rooms but they're not that big . Nice position , though some people might not like it backing onto an oval. Overall size is around 300 m2. Most upmarket houses now days would be 400 - 450

It has a nice feel to it and has character ( IMHO )

It's probably a 40's 50's house , Slighty dated in modern terms but would have represented a nice North shore house until Meadowbank became the default setting in northshore houses in the last 20 years .

It's tired and needs an update.

Quote price was over 1.75 and we got the feeling from talking to the agents that around 1-7 - 1.8 was the expected price , not the 1.98 that it sold for....

No sign of prices crashing at this stage :)

Cliff

Back