Upright digital piano for kid -brand and where to buy Brisbane

Hi All,

I want to buy a digital upright piano for my son.He's been leaning for nearly 2 years now with a keyboard, but now I think he really needs at least a digital upright piano.

Would you know any good brand (Korg, Yamaha ...) model and would you know any good music store in Brisbane?

My budget is up to 4k

Thank you,

Anne

Has your son play a real piano before, or do you know a piano teacher?

If yes, best to go to a music store and let him try some of the digital upright, the feel of the keys matters - the weight and the feel of the keys on digital piano ideally to be similar with the real piano, otherwise your son will need to adjust when he play a real one.

If you're talking about sound... real one usually almost always better.

We have Kawai C23 at home - it's an older model, but hubby quite like how it feels - was $2000.

I have a Roland digital piano - the key weightings are adjustable so you can choose how heavy you like the keys to be ... real pianos differ in their weightings too.

I disagree about the sound - modern good quality digital pianos are almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Depends on the piano though - some are much better than others.

Yamaha, Roland and Kawai are the big brands. I'm a Roland person myself - always have been.

Listening to my 2yo and 5yo play on my piano in the next room while I type this! They play it more than I do these days :(

We're in VIC so can't help you with a store :)

But, we recently bought a Yamaha Clavinova CLP 440 for the kids. We're happy with it. Kids seems to like it.

I disagree about the sound - modern good quality digital pianos are almost indistinguishable from the real thing. Depends on the piano though - some are much better than others.

Probably, I'm not in the market so not sure about the lates addition. I like vibration that came from real piano :rolleyes:
Digital has it's greatness... adjustable volume, different sound effects, etc. Plu it with a good headphones and viola, music for your own ears.

Listening to my 2yo and 5yo play on my piano in the next room while I type this! They play it more than I do these days :(

Why don't you play more ;)

P.S. on store - we have Allan's Music and Dickson in Sydney. Not sure about Brisbane though

I'm a Roland person myself - always have been.

We had a digital Roland for a few years and were more than happy. I would highly recommed it - or any of the other reputable brands Sim mentioned.

When we sold ours the phones went crazy. Regret selling it now.

I did note at the time few secondhand ones being sold unlike normal pianos so people must hold onto these - are portable, store better and take up less room than normal pianos.

Go to Ellaways if you are on the Northside. Fantastic service. They will help you out. Gympie Road Kedron, near Edinburgh Castle Road, Opposite Lutwych Cemetery.

Hi All,

I want to buy a digital upright piano for my son.He's been leaning for nearly 2 years now with a keyboard, but now I think he really needs at least a digital upright piano.

Would you know any good brand (Korg, Yamaha ...) model and would you know any good music store in Brisbane?

My budget is up to 4k

Thank you,

Anne

Anne,

Just want to clarify - what is he playing now? Because what he is used to now will play some part in what he moves to.

Also, is it really a digital piano you want to get or an arranger? (again just want to make sure)

Other bits: how many octaves/keys?

4K is a lot (for me anyway).

A decent Casio PX or Yamaha YDP around the $1,200 - $1,300

(I'm an arranger/synth person so for that money I'd go to a Yamaha PSR-Sxxx series. Actually for $4k, I'd be looking for a Yammie Motif or Roland Fantom..... droooool......:p)

The Y-man

We're in VIC so can't help you with a store :)

But, we recently bought a Yamaha Clavinova CLP 440 for the kids. We're happy with it. Kids seems to like it.

Can second this recommendation. Two piano playing daughters and we bought a Yamaha Clavinova (not sure about the no.) 12 yrs ago and it's been great. Solid sound, had a LOT of use and still plays 100% well. Easy to move when shifting house too :D

Cost about $1500 at the time but no doubt prices have moved a little. Youngest daughter up to 5th grade classical and has only recently suggested buying a "proper piano" so I'm about to embark on the road of discovery with which piano to now buy.... pity you're not in Sydney as mine could be for sale soon on Ebay!

Make that 3 recommendations for the Yamaha Clavinova. I've had one for 10 yrs. The important thing with a digital piano is key feel. Look for "graded hammer" so that the transition to a real piano is more seamless.

Thank you all for your valued input.

My son has been going to music lessons once/w with an upright acoustic piano, but at home he only uses the keyboard as i was not sure if he would be keen to do long term. But now he starts learning to use the pedal so i need a proper piano for him, also i think it has been almost 2 years and he is still keen ( of course i have to nag him everyday).

I would not say he has potential but at least he enjoys the lessons and most of the time the practice.

I was more thinking about the digital piano because i wont need to have it tuned regularly and less worry about maintenance and upkeep.

But i have done further research and most people prefer the acoustic piano over the digital one.

I guess i will need to find a reputable store that sells second hand piano.

Really appreciate your help.

Anne

Try Morris Brothers at Stafford. The last few times ( this year ) I've had to buy musical related items they have been SOOOO much more helpful than Ellaways.

Hi All,

My budget is up to 4k

Thank you,

Anne
Maybe get a higher table/adjustable height chair to sit the digital one on and save the $4k?

I was more thinking about the digital piano because i wont need to have it tuned regularly and less worry about maintenance and upkeep.

But i have done further research and most people prefer the acoustic piano over the digital one.

The other factor is that electronic keyboards have a limited life - about 10~20 years. Once componentry start going astray, they are almost impossible to repair due to spare part unavailability. Acoustics on the other hand can be kept alive indefinitely,

My oldest keyboards have suffered from things like:
DCO won't shut off
Pre amp dead
Onboard battery dead (soldered in type)
etc

The Y-man

Acoustics on the other hand can be kept alive indefinitely

Depends on the piano. My parents had an old iron-framed piano which warped, couldn't hold its tune and had to be retuned a tone lower than normal.

It was over 80 years old though :rolleyes:

Thank you!

Try Morris Brothers at Stafford. The last few times ( this year ) I've had to buy musical related items they have been SOOOO much more helpful than Ellaways.

Thank you L & P for the recommendation!

Thank you everyone !

We went to the store and bought the Kawai upright BL61 acoustic 2nd hand one. A bit over my budget :)

Very good service in that store!

Anne

Did you go to Morris Brothers ?

I'm so pleased they were helpful. It's good old fashioned service.

They even had to order in something for me and gave me a discount on the price for the inconvenience ! Lol

Did you go to Morris Brothers ?

I'm so pleased they were helpful. It's good old fashioned service.

They even had to order in something for me and gave me a discount on the price for the inconvenience ! Lol

Yes I did I bought from Mark, he spent lots of time with us to talk us through the basics and tried to match our needs with what they have.

I did do my own research and checked 4 other websites but none seem to have what we need with our budget.

Thanks again L & P!

Back