US Mid-Term Elections - a very bad day for the republicans. A good day for the world?

In the Mid-Term Elections, the Republicans have lost control of the House of Representatives in Congress and there is a chance that they'll lose control of the Senate.

To appease his new political masters Dubya threw his daddy's old mate Donald Rumsfeld, a 30+ year veteran of Washington posts (he was Gerry Ford's Chief of Staff), onto his sword (or his Apache Helicopter, as may be more appropriate).

But don't be too happy. Another of daddy's old buddies (and a good ol' boy from Texas), former CIA Director (appointed by George H W Bush) Robert Gates is the new Secretary of Defense designate. Oddly enough, he also used to be the Dean of the George Bush School of Government and Public Service at Texas A&N University where he is currently President.

Ahh, but will there be more changes to come??

Though for one very high profile Republican - a born-again greenie who speaks with a thick Austrian accent "I varnt to verk wif you" it was a very good day. Congratulations to Governor Schwarzenegger of California - he's in charge of one of the world's biggest economies until 2011.

And of course, congratulations also to re-elected Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton from NY. Looking good for 2008???

M

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Mark

It is a good day.

A sign to the world that the USA citizens have recognised that Bushes strategy on Iraq is a failure and are willling to admit it.

Glad to see Rumsfeld go. A case of jumping before he was pushed (read investigations).

Lets hope the mess we have can be fixed now however I expect the Democrats would prefer disaster unitl 2008 so Bush cannot claim any credit.

As for Hillary in 2008 I am not sure.

Arnold's re-election suprised me.

Peter 14.7

Hello Pitt St

Just wanted to say that I think I'm going to like you a lot more as the "village idiot" than I did as the "anti-catastrophiser". Still enjoying your posts, though. :D

bernly

Peter

I think Arnie was in real trouble until a few months back when he made 3 major changes.

1. He become a major supporter of policies to combat climate change

2. He hired George W Bush's former spin-doctor

3. He began to avoid George W Bush like the plague

You can see here that the polls really weren't kind to Arnie until recently.

Personally I think it is great to see him re-elected. He's very big on environmental issues and, imho, right now that is what is needed from politicians.

On September 27, 2006, Schwarzenegger signed into law the most far-reaching state legislation yet enacted to reduce harmful pollutant emissions that cause global warming. At the bill signing ceremony, Schwarzenegger declared:

"We simply must do everything we can in our power to slow down global warming before it is too late... The science is clear. The global warming debate is over."

M

ps. Thanks Bernly

Hi,

I think it is a great day.......Although holders of Gold Stocks (catastrophisers ;))might not think so - gold down overnight.

Cheers

Jared

So California is going to have a depression in 2011 which will make it a smaller economy?

Trying to trick me up Geoffrey? :)

No, I am not predicting a depression in California, or anywhere else for that matter, in 2011.

Governor Arnie's term expires on 4 January 2011. As it currently stands (and as I understand it) California law prevents him from seeking another term of office.

M

Pitt St,

Do you think there will be any repercussions from Democratic control - i.e. their historical resistence to free trade and globalisation in general? A number of Democratic senators/reps have publicly spoken out against the amount of trade with China, Mexico, etc, and the slow process of yuan revaluation. Some have even proposed a blanket tax on all Chinese goods. Most of it is probably typical election grandstanding, but I'm sure some of those ideas will start to make their way into American policy.

Although I think the Republicans needed a good kick in the pants, I am a little concerned about the way Democrats may push American economic policies as well.. we could get more than we wished for.

Is this a sign to come for Bush's mates - Blair and Howard??

Blair's pretty obviously up the duff. He needs a small miracle to be re-elected. Howard (still) doesn't have any serious competition.

As for Clinton in 2008.... A woman in the White House? Yeah right. Not in the next 20 years at least I reckon.

Mark

I can say with almost absolute certainly that Tony Blair will not win the next British election. Primarily because he has already indicated that he wont be contesting it.

Tony Blair to Resign Within a Year

I don't expect Johnny will be feeling nervous right now. Sure, he backed a loser of a war, but the only people who fight more amongst themselves than those in the middle east, are those in the Federal ALP in Australia. They're hopeless atm.

And as for Hilary in 2008? All I'll say is that her star is on the rise. She's a hero to lots of people - and that can certainly appeal to people come election time.

M

...and there is a chance that they'll lose control of the Senate.

They have lost control of the Senate.

The party balance in the Senate now stands at 51-49 (including two independent senators, Joe Lieberman and Bernie Sanders, who have pledged to caucus with the Democrats).

Does this mean that Bush could be impeached over the Iraq War, on the grounds that the pretence for war was false? :confused:

M

Actually it is 50-49 with Virginia undecided. Although Webb (D) has claimed victory, Allen (R) will not concede defeat yet. The margin is about 7000 votes out of 2 million cast.

Election officials are currently certifying each county in Virginia. According to the New York Times, Allen's team may concede if the margin does not reduce substantially from this. Allen can request a full recount (end of November) if the margin is less than 1%, which it currently is.

- Dave99

Should the senate be 50 / 50 then the Vice President gets the deciding vote, which will be republican.

I dont understand why the two independants dont have a influence?

Peter 14.7

Actually it is 50-49 with Virginia undecided. Although Webb (D) has claimed victory, Allen (R) will not concede defeat yet.
Its going to be Webb.

Finally, a House and Senate even Clinton could not have imagined.

Hopefully, this will bring about real, considered debate about important issues, decided on their social and scientific merits - rather than reactive decisions based on fundamentalist religious zealotry.

Funny how Dubya now talks about how important it is for bipartisanship, now that he has lost all control of the House - when he had a clear majority, he didn't give a sh!t was the Dems wanted.

Bring on 2008 :D

Jamie.

Last edited:
You were right Jamie!

Allen has conceded Virginia. Democrats have a majority in both houses. Could you have imagined such a thing 2 years ago? Amazing!

- Dave99

You know Dave, I called it a good 12 hrs before Jamie did. /me sighs

Jamie - you're a political animal - do you have any thoughts on who will emerge in 2008?

Senator Clinton?

Colin Powell?

Condoleezza Rice?

Senator McCain?

Senator Kerry?

A Governor from an otherwise obscure and small southern state??
(Jimmy C & Bill C both followed republican governments that had been percieved to have lost touch / trust with the people)

M

Sorry Pitt St, my bad :)

You did call it first!

12 years since the dems have controlled Congress. I heard their first action is to ask the president for a schedule of troop withdrawal from Iraq. What would you like to see the do?

- Dave99

While the speculation is running hot, who thinks what is going to happen in Iraq as Coalition forces withdraw, and if all hell breaks loose, should the UN go in?

Back