USA investment properties for an Aussie

Karina, emma, twh,

You guys seem to know your stuff. Different areas, different methods, but a common underlying business model. Good on ya,

Some questions

Do you look at commercials at all?
Lesser day to day management, especially good for ozi buyers who are not there on the ground.

What is your opinion of Ohio. Good prices for sure. Some say dayton or detroit are dead and out. But is it really?

If the Aussie investor is traveling to see their properties 1 to 2 times a year... that has to cost at least 2k or more per trip.. And unless you own quite a few homes. that's half or so of your gross rental income each and every year.

Why should you need to do that?
I have properties here I haven't seen in near 10 years, my property manager inspects regular and takes photos of general appearance and points to any areas that require or may require maintenance.

I had a property last week (Vegas) we closed and rented, needed everything - carpet, paint, roof work, sheetrock damage etc... within 7 days (actually we came in just over $500 under budget). The one before that the cleaners had to back out as they were moving in - only 4k of work also OCCUPIED within 5 days… it normally comes down to the time of month you close on a property as most tenants move in on the 1st . Why I hate end of month closings – the rush is crazy. This isn’t rocket science – see below for BIG SECRET to renting a property…..

Lynchy - WHY WOULD YOU BUY A PROPERTY THAT NEEDS 10K IN REPAIRS IN ATL --- buy one that is move in ready – there are enough of them. Find one with a list price 10k below what you were willing to spend on repairs and bid 2k over that list price – you will get it and “save” what you would have spent on repairs.

LOGIN TO LISTINGBOOK (the MLS ie live properties listings in Atlanta if you don't believe me..) you can use my login for demonstration purposes...

Username: selectusaproperty
Password: atlanta
CAVEAT AND DISCLAIMER - I just quickly put some random suburbs in (included Lithonia as oft spoken about), THESE ARE LIVE PROPERTIES, I am not recommending ANY of these, they are just like looking at Domain.... live...you can set yourself up with your own Listingbook account - it is completely free.

DEC - you are absolutely right....
I think this is almost an epiphany. I actually genuinely don't care who people buy through in the US or if people don't buy at all. This is something that you either decide to do or not. I care that you don't get ripped off, buy what YOU want to buy and understand fully what you are doing...and definitely what you are actually getting for your money...

FACTOR IN for ATL – state income tax filing (LLC renewal and licensing fees if going that route versus own name and umbrella insurance etc). Lawn care (you can mow up to once a week here in summer – think ¼ to ½ acres of mowing in QLD growth areas and a fetish for Bermuda turf), HOA’s, LLC filing fees etc…. factor it ALL in… gutters - THEY NEED CLEANING, roofs that are composition shingle, termites that need $450 to start with and booster shots per annum. $50 either way is a yield difference. Taxes are generally north of 1k in ATL.

I love what I do BUT, I don't buy properties and resell them. I don't "secure" or "source" great properties just waiting for you to buy so I don't have to worry if I have a buyer for the next property I have "sourced"....

Yesterday was Super Bowl and I saw 18 properties.... My broker asked me what I do for fun and all I can say is "this". Why did I see them - because they piqued my curiosity - either in a good way or a bad way! I am one of those people (many of us are) - who goes on holidays and immediately goes to a real estate agent to see what the yield is.

If you spend a year researching this market (US) and decide it isn't for you - GREAT - that is fantastic.

Buy if it makes sense, you have researched all the options, you are buying near schools, shops and transport (SO IT WILL RENT!) -

HOW TO GUARANTEE A TENANT IN UNDER TWO WEEKS OF CLOSING ON A PROPERTY…..

SO HUSH, BIG SECRET......LOCATION and PRICE….duh... if you are walking distance to a GREAT school also walking distance to any of these: Trader Joes (ha, I wish) Super Walmart, a Target..any large grocery store... and in a wonderful street where the houses are all well kept and in a safe part of town?? Don't be greedy on rents - ask market price - or even just below to guarantee choice in tenants and .....You do the maths - but I will bet anyone that that property will rent within ONE week of closing - Cost to rent? $10 - you will need to print some flyers.....put a flyer up at that school, put a flyer up at that nearest public lightpole outside of that and guess what - you can boast to all your friends the secret of real estate 101.

IF you aren't in that wonderful spot, have fabulous advertising and flyers up etc? You have control over one thing - rent - reduce it. Either dramatically or "x" per week until it rents. If there is even one other property in the area for rent it will probably start a downward spiral (try to buy where that ISN'T the case) but you will have your tenant.

SCHOOLS
When I was in urban planning one of the first things I learnt was what we all know subconsciously – we often don’t think like that! People want to live close to schools, shops and transport – ideally walking distance within 1/2 mile in urban centres. Blank walls are bad, open spaces are good etc – we know that, but we often don’t put it into words. The ideal way of learning who your tenant will be is what I love to do - spend time shopping at the local store, having a coffee, having a chat etc. If you can’t do that?

A fascinating way is the study of a the local schools demographics. Often people overlook this. What is the composition of my neighbourhood? We can get lots of information from listingbook and zipdata, city data for Atlanta (Vegas isn’t really big enough to demonstrate this as easily). However, zips can be ENORMOUS in the States... But *but but..... if you look to your local schools you can see not only the composition of your precise neighbourhood but also whether it is experiencing a transition.

HOW
Take a random sample of the 3 elementary schools closest to your property (the listing should ALWAYS state which schools your property “lies in”) and a random sample of the 3 highschools closest to your property. What can you tell? *If you have 90% of your high schools demonstrating a majority of one race and 90% of your elementary schools demonstrating a different race, you are probably buying in a transitional neighbourhood – that is a 10 year difference in school ages. *Ditto with the scores – if 90% of the highschool scores are above the national average but 90% of your elementary kids are way below, you might be starting to see some “issues” creep into the area – or a majority of kids with English as a 2nd language starting to come in etc. Of course you might not either but it is a great clue.

To demonstrate and without any implication that these are good schools, areas or even vaguely in target areas, I pulled just 4 random elementary schools. Interpret as you will but it is a great tool that I have used over the years to learn trends..

Each of the above schools are from various zips – but within those zips you often have completely different neighborhoods. The point isn’t WHAT the breakdown is, it is simply to demonstrate the point – as I pull example properties, I will provide the high school and elementary school data for you.

In Atlanta you are shopping for 3+ bedrooms in general – you NEED to know that this probably involves children!

Last edited:
Commercials... Anything 5+ units is commercial... Assuming question posed as in MFR's. Not a play in Vegas and I think "less" headaches would only be relevant if you have an amazing property manager. LAX yes, even ATL.

Emma, how did you get the information on the schools? Pulled up a random house from your Listingbook.com site. It lists a elem, middle and high school - 1 of each. So far so good.

You talked about in the post before last seeing the % of race or % of scores vs national average but I don't see that information anywhere. Is this from a different site?

Schools...

http://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...&Status=Search+Finished&Records=0&CS=D5D6C0F4

This is the link I use for schools.... I use NCES versus Georgia scores and I'm not a big fan of parent voted sites (too easy to skew).

I'm not sure I ever figured out how to attach to the thread. Will play with that in a second... however this takes you straight to one area that I find interesting and can demonstrate a little - if you look at Lawrenceville and this is a random zip in Lawrenceville -ie 30043..... take a look at the elementary schools in here (might want to ignore the youth detention centre!), then take a look at the High School.

And then if you aren't bored senseless.. THE ZIP IN THE BELOW LINK (30024) SUWANEE BORDERS THE ZIP ABOVE TO THE NORTH (30043)

Suwanee
http://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...Status=Search+Finished&Records=14&CS=3F3C6657

Look at Collins High school by comparison to Lambert Highschool....

NOW - LOOK AT THE ZIP TO THE SOUTH OF 30043 which is 30046....

http://nces.ed.gov/globallocator/in...&Status=Search+Finished&Records=0&CS=8E0745DF

... specifically the elementary school.....Margaret Winn.... quick now back to Suwanee...see?

Read into it what you will and play as you will...

Sorry to "pick" on Lawrenceville but it is an interesting area with some demonstrable differences....

Obviously scores HIGHER than national average would be preferred and often lower than national averages could be attributable to transitional factors such as higher English Second Language students entering etc

Last edited:
Reminder

If you are a property owner already Stateside please remember NOW is the time for your summer a/c checks to be scheduled in case any additional repairs are needed or tuneups beyond coil clean and filter change etc.

THOUGHT....NOW IS ALSO THE TIME TO CONSIDER GETTING A HOME WARRANTY PROGRAM IF YOU DON'T HAVE ONE - .... well especially if you have an a/c unit approaching 10 years old that is about to be cranked on to full bore after a long winter...and you aren't signed up with a home warranty program, you might want to consider this...they have a one month waiting period in general so if you are going to get one, now is the time - our service provider has an annual premium that costs $300 per annum with a $45 call out but range probably up to about $450 with a $65 call out - Home warranties as probably most of you know cover all the systems in your house (and may well have been included in your purchase - esp. in ATL so check with agent)...

Home warranties also can just suck you dry so read up a little... I made sure we have one that allows us our own techs so that I know beforehand if the work is going to be covered or not (I don't trust anyone else on our units!)

If you have a 10 year old a/c unit, this may well save your derriere.. They don't cover everything so read up on what they do cover but I always say it is the "just in case".... of course no avoiding that you will need a new a/c or furnace at some point down the line but still...

Hi Karina and Emma,

Can you please list suburbs in Atlanta were you locate properties for your clients.

Thanks for your time.

Engelo

Too big a question and tough. I dont locate, i help people choose for themselves.

I wasn't going to answer because massive caveats...but have edited to try....Okay.. With huge broad brush and that massive caveat that there are great areas and enclaves in many parts and ditto on the reverse. Price point of entry will also dictate.

You need to choose the property and price you bid on after you go through a few properties and shortlist based on YOUR needs... the repairs, the rent the area and the pros and cons of each property. So it depends on goals over the long term. Yours will be different from others and thus you will end up focusing on different areas. Risk aversion, balance of yield and cap growth etc. There's a section of Stone Mountain I leap all over like a kid on a smartie - perfect storm of cusp to Gwinnett, three schools, transport etc and there are other areas I wouldnt touch. RESEARCH.. Not hard. Again, call the nearest place available for rent near the house you are looking at. I like parts of 30058....

I would like to say that people hiring a facilitator aren't hiring someone just to sell them anything.... a real estate agent can sell you "anything"... A consultant is someone who has more... knows your goals, your property, has been into the property, can discuss that property on it's merits and help in the decision making process... And whether you should even THINK of buying it. If you have a facilitator, ask them if they have physically seen the property and what they think about it in terms of location to schools, quality, neighbours etc. Let them earn the $$. Supply isn't an issue, quality is. If they haven't seen the property themselves ask them who has and speak to them. At bare minimum ask them why they chose that property over the one 3 doors down or 3 blocks over and I hope to goodness the answer isn't "because I could get it for a great price". The one 3 doors down might have been asking 3k more but is move in ready and yours might need 6k in repairs and be next to 6 yapping dogs with the owner who is going nowhere.

At some point, if someone is selling bulk, there just aren't that many great properties out there and you have to ask, why am I being sold THIS property? Did your facilitator choose this property carefully for your needs or, because they have 30 other clients all wanting properties they are just trying to secure anything and wouldn't have a clue? If you are just making money out of the sale of a property, do you care what happens beyond that point?

People in Australia are buying properties they haven't seen, their facilitator hasn't seen and until bought maybe no one has seen... Because they are buying sight unseen just to "secure" the property. Doesn't that worry ANYONE? It doesnt make it a no... They may have a great property... Just check for yourself and take that matter into your own hands

Really analyze what you are paying money for and make sure it is worth those $$.

It isn't the suburb (although college park doesn't cut it for me amongst others... Check crime rates out etc). it is WHERE.

Look I avoid inside the beltway personally more because I do than any other reason. I like suburbia. There are some fab areas in incorporated Decatur so this is just personal choice. Anything else is somewhat up for grabs. There are places I avoid everywhere...!

East Cobb and you are going to think you are in a different country to the south... You can buy there but you will spend the $$.

I like Marietta for access to Lockheed employees and Dobbins AFB... Love military tenants but they will rotate every 3 years.

Newnan in the southwest and they will sign you up for sons of the Confederate and you will see miniature antebellum mansions...

There's a fabulously large dump in Dekalb that I keep 3 miles away from in any direction (2 miles for ground contamination is the minimum most recommend).. It would affect the North part of Ellenwood, south part of Decatur.

Smyrna is fab...Buckhead, Powder Springs in parts...East of the 75 in Cobb and people will let you know they are from East Cobb... The number of fitness and health spas are noticeable.. Holistic medicine leaps in etc. Even Acworth and Kennesaw but that is a bit of a drive.

South.. Fayette County.. Tyrone, Peachtree City and Fayetteville have areas the kids use golf carts to get to school.. But a trek and canbe expensive... Screams OO.

Again, will your property rent... ? Owner occupier areas may not as easily.

Never buy at the back of a "same, same" enclave. Whatever the first 2 houses are renting for, yours will have to be less to get them to drive anyfurther There is this crazy enclave in Lawrenceville.. Springbottom enclave that are just scary...every single house for acres is identical... You would NEVER want to have a house there... Cookie cutter nightmare and scary people hanging out.. But Lawrenceville itself? Absolutely... Some great great great areas. I really like anywhere near Gwinnett Technical College by the 316... Zip 30043. I am not a huge fan of further north east of Lawrenceville where there is the mass development.

However you are entitled and can completely disagree... I just give my personal opinion but you have your own eye and this is your property go with your gut always! I would argue strenuously against the above though!

Schools, Shops, Transport... In Atlanta that also means freeways...think about where your tenant most likely works and what the commute time would be. Home owners will travel farther. Tenants? Heck no! Put yourself in their shoes. I like the major intersections off the 20.. I love historic Conyers but you are starting to hit OO areas... There is one area I am floored has low rents because it SCREAMS tenant area! I am convincing myself if I marketed a property there I cld get $1300 for it... Hmmmmm. Anywhere intersection and superwalmarts and schools collide

Love Norcross (gorgeous historic district)... Which is in Fulton.

Grayson has super new lovely houses but again rents can be hit for access.

Think Duluth, suwanee, Lilburn, parts of 30083...

Again though, many of these areas may not have something in your price range, may have crappy rents, may be awful....

Can't say it enough.... ONLY buy at the front of an enclave. Let the people who own the house for rent at the back give you free marketing....! If everyone has to drive by your for rent sign to get to the house they were actually going to all you will have to do is have your phone number on the sign - they will call it even if just for curiosity sake.

PS all of the above taken into consideration, I just bought a 48k property, 4 bedder, 2300 sq feet crazy young that needs everything doing to it (think 6k but did need a new compressor) in 30034... Sigh, the exceptions that prove the rule... It is near a school though and close to the 20 with high comps.

Last edited:
I am leaving Atlanta for the next 2 weeks headed to Vegas then possibly Oz but ricochet all the time depending on what is closing when and where. If anyone wants me to visit a property here I drive the length and breadth of Atlanta everyday, love doing it, have iPad and can send instant videos.. They are NOT professional.. Lol...At least let you know it is still standing. No biggie. after a debacle someone had in Detroit I think other we should all be very aware that some do mislead people.

I have a fervent belief in the expat Oz community over here. Above that, I have met many of the somersoft community now and can seriously say we are a rare breed. Let's not, no matter who buys through who or doesn't buy at all, but let's not allow any of us to become a victim of the US market and I hope to goodness that when my USD is worth a bint it will be reciprocated when I start buying back in Oz!

I never realized what my brother was talking about all these years until now. Ha, he was a pioneer!

Last edited:
Just wanted to post about my experience with my first American House Purchase:

Backstory
I am a Financial Planner and had a decent amount of money invested in the stock-market, but became disillusioned with the day-to-day volatility in August/September, so started looking at property as an alternative. I have a positively geared studio that I rent out as a serviced apartment, so was looking for something similar as I prefer investing for cash-flow to speculating on capital growth.
After researching Australian property and coming to the conclusion that it was quite difficult to find more positively geared properties (at 90% LVR, with no renovation experience or interest), I came across Emma's thread on this forum and read all 80-90 pages of it. I then did some research on American property and decided that it was something I'd like to get interested in.

I initially contacted Emma about it, who was really helpful and forthcoming with the information, which I really appreciated. Unfortunately, my experience was that it seemed as though the Vegas market had gotten a bit tighter by that point, so found it difficult to find properties that still presented a good deal in Vegas. Emma found one property that had potential, so I put an offer in on it, but it was unfortunately rejected - It was about this time that Emma introduced me to her friend, Karina, who was operating in a similar capacity in Atlanta, and so I contacted her and went from there.

The house
About a month later, Karina emailed me with a great house in Gwinnett County (http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1346-Timber-Way-Cv-Loganville-GA-30052/14729934_zpid/) and I did a bit of research, spoke to her about it, got some quotes and decided to jump in.

The experience
Karina was fantastic in helping me through the process and extremely quick and reliable in answering any queries I had and acting upon any work that needed to be done or requests I made. She introduced me to a good american based accountant for tax return queries/forms, put me in contact with a good law firm for the LLC setup, and worked with the real estate company/renovation company to get the outcome I wanted.

Unfortunately, because it was over the Christmas break, the renovations took around 2 months to complete, rather than 3-4 weeks as I had expected. They also came in slightly above the original quote, as there was some work that needed to be done that could not be anticipated until the sale had gone through, so that utilities could be activated.

On the plus side, the house rented for $195 / month more than we expected/planned for, so this offset the opportunity cost of the extended renovations.

The numbers

Cost: Approximately $74 - $75k US
(including everything - from property purchase & facilitation fee, to renovations, LLC establishment, initial termite treatment, one month's rent as letting fee, initial insurance, initial property tax and accountant fees).

Gross Rent: $1295 US pm // $15,540 US pa

Gross Yield: ~21%

Annual Expenses: ~$5.3k US pa
[made up of ~$1250 property management, ~$2k tax, $750 insurance, $280 Termite Treatment, ~$1k increased administration/tax costs (Preparation of annual US tax return, increased cost on AU tax return, LLC ongoing administration/compliance requirements)]

Net rent: Lets be conservative and say ~$10k

Net Yield: 13.76%

Note that this yield does not account for future letting fees or adhoc property management - If we allow $2,000 for these expenses, the net yield drops to around 11%, which I still think is great.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the outcome and can't wait to get another US property into my portfolio asap. Let me know if you have any questions or just want to speak to someone who has just been through the process.

Cheers,
Chris

Chris
Fantastic news and stoked you are happy! I had wondered how you had gone on.

Yep, if you are rough balling I normally go with purchase price plus 11k (padded) to cover the "set up" costs - closing, renting, facilitation, repairs at the end of that you should have a tenanted property... exceptions to prove rules.

11k = 5k for repairs, 4.5k for facilitation and rest on closing costs/inspections and padding.

Work backwards from max outlay you can afford without divorce is a general rule of thumb.

I do try in Atlanta to purchase move in ready or minimal just because you can...

However...however.... Vegas example.... the exceptions prove the rule... sigh - just quoted my most expensive quote ever there at $10,600 but missing an entire kitchen and a new compressor so sigh.. can't help it.

Congrats again. Snoopy Dance.

Just read on the time delay for the reno's...I'm sorry you got whacked there... I can relatively assure that the norm in the States (obviously outside of Christmas) for repairs would be well under 10 days if you are just doing some sheetrock patches, new paint, carpet, plumbing, appliances and some doors etc...ie the typical 5-6k jobby....structural will take longer of course for permitting but rule of thumb repair would be to allow 10 days...

The big thing to remember is that prorated half month rents are very unlikely - watch how much we all hate close to end of month closings if the property can't be preadvertised to rent... that 10 days becomes all nighters .. lol..

VERY ROUGH OUTLINE OF AVERAGE CLOSING....

5 days before closing = order utilities, line up the tradesmen
2 days before closing = walkthrough verification of all supplies (you're making a list and checking it twice!)
Day before closing = buy all supplies - love the shopping trip
Yay......Closing.....for rent signs up put up around neighborhood, advertising in full swing...
Day 1 - morning = carpet rip out, floor prep, new tacks laid as needed, doors hung that need hanging, anything that needs removing before painting needs removing - faceplates, light fixtures being replaced etc...sheetrock patching occurs whole day as needed. Afternoon = tape off and prep for painting
Day 2 - painting (yard work/roof work outside)
Day 3 - finish painting/garage door installed if replacing
Day 4 - finish fit off/carpet laid/appliances delivered
Day 5 - cleaning - Quality control
Day 6 - pest control

... and on the 7th day.....lol....

Day 8 is quality control and haul back of anything that might even vaguely have issues.

Move in date is the 1st in the States pretty much across the board so you do try if you can to strategically close properties when possible around best rental dates...however realistically if you close on the 25th - the 1st of a month, you are probably not looking at a move in until the 1st of the next month...you can fluke it... but rarely. Most make their mind up to move by the 18th of each month for a move in on the 1st.

Last edited:
Due diligence

ALL utilities MUST be on during due diligence or you ask for an extension in due diligence.

If you do not know what due diligence is, it is the time frame during which you, as buyer, conduct your home inspection. Generally You have 5-10 days after exchange of contract. If the home inspection makes "serious recommendations" that you have further evaluation for a plumbing inspection or an HVAC inspection, roof inspection etc, YOU CAN HAVE THEM.... If you are nervous, pile the whole lot on. You may back out of the sale at any time during due diligence and get your earnest money back provided you cite something from the inspection report that you didn't know during initial walk through.

Do not ever buy a property unless you understand that and demand the listing agent gets the utilities on.

Plumbing is the cheapest to fix... Cut a hole in the ceiling, repair the damage and pach the ceiling.... Couldn't ever be more than about $200 even if the whole valve needs replacing.

Just now your rights.... You should have a REALLY good idea by the time due diligence is done exactly what your repairs will be. WITH utilities on.

Unfortunately, because it was over the Christmas break, the renovations took around 2 months to complete, rather than 3-4 weeks as I had expected. They also came in slightly above the original quote, as there was some work that needed to be done that could not be anticipated until the sale had gone through, so that utilities could be activated.

Unfortunately, that is exactly what Emma works her butt off to avoid. However if you are running seminars, buying in relative bulk and relying on local contractors this is exactly what is going to happen. Far from being 'select' you are then competing with every other out of town purchaser for unsupervised trades people and un-managed property managers. And believe me, that is what is going to crucify your returns over time.

Two things about your net yield.
1) 13% is not factoring in 2 vacant months while a reno happened, and
2) It is what I would consider a wafer thin advantage over an Aussie commercial property once you allow for tenant changes and damages. Excluding airfares I would be very surprised if that equates to much over 7-8% over 4-5 years, and only then with minimal vacancies and repairs on tenant changeover. If you travel a lot to ATL (or the US) anyway and want a tax deduction then great! However, two months to reno a 'new' purchase in that market is a far from promising long term sign - with unemployment the way it is in the US the Christmas break is a very average excuse.

To make US property work smoothly you have to do everything everyone else isn't. That means highly supervised management and a way above average refirb team - especially as a foreigner!

Overall I couldn't be happier with the outcome and can't wait to get another US property into my portfolio asap. Let me know if you have any questions or just want to speak to someone who has just been through the process.

Cheers,
Chris

Nice post Rezix. I'm hoping to close in Atlanta soon and also looking for a few more. Looks like we may be in competition:rolleyes:

rental yield has never been the be all and end all with me. I'm looking at what I believe to be the unique window of opportunity of super low prices and super high australian dollar. when these things reverse there's a nice capital gain to be made. And the rents should ensure these things cost nothing to hold and even make a few bob.:)

This peeves me as I only have one more 'real' post to wrote on this site, but the time isn't right...

However.

I'm looking at what I believe to be the unique window of opportunity of super low prices and super high australian dollar. when these things reverse there's a nice capital gain to be made. And the rents should ensure these things cost nothing to hold and even make a few bob.

With the attitude above you will be crucified buying in the US. To succeed you need to look at it like a job. If you don't (as I said above) you will be treated like every other 'out of towner' and be ripped off royally. For years... Believe me, I know:(

I do not know anyone other than Emma who acts as a guerrilla purchaser and long term trouble shooter for the purchaser. She does stuff that my LA agents say is impossible, but if you just want to make a few bucks here and there and aren't interested in chasing every last couple of % return or (more importantly) think of property management and long term care as something that just 'happens' then please save yourselves a lot of hassle and consider a [structured investment product rather than direct investment]. It removes the dramas from the whole scenario and gets you a good solid return - and someone working on the ground in your interests.

The absolute last thing anyone wants buying a US property is to be dumped on an unsupervised property manager or maintenance team. I do not think the wholesale houses system suits everyone, but if you buy through an Aussie wholesaler, then I think this type of deal compares extremely favourably with the returns you will achieve.

The important thing to remember is that you need someone looking out for your interests over there long term. You have to understand buying a property in the US is the VERY easy part. A US property manager simply does not do that as you would expect an Aussie one to do. It makes a world of difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the attitude above you will be crucified buying in the US. To succeed you need to look at it like a job. If you don't (as I said above) you will be treated like every other 'out of towner' and be ripped off royally. For years... Believe me, I know:(

thanks for your opinions lawsie...

When I'm done buying a few of these properties they will represent 3.5% of my total investment portfolio. I really couldn't care less about the yield. If I can double my money in 5 to 10 years I'm happy. The speculative portion of anyone's portfolio should be played with money they can afford to lose.

cheers,

You'll worry about the dramas though!

3.5% of the assets for maybe 30% of the worry. If you dont care about the yield even more reason to look at true wholesalehomes.

The confidence is inspiring. In time you will understand where I am coming from.

Back