USA Lording it over others: No more

Chinese regulator calls US lending 'ridiculous'By JOE McDONALD updated 7:02 a.m. ET Sept. 27, 2008Font size: TIANJIN, China - U.S. lending standards before the global credit crisis were "ridiculous," and the world can learn from China's more cautious system as it considers financial reforms, the top Chinese bank regulator said Saturday.

Beijing curbed mortgage lending in 2003 and 2006 to keep debt manageable amid a real estate boom, while American regulators responded to a similar situation by letting credit grow, said Liu Mingkang, chairman of the Chinese Banking Regulatory Commission.

"When U.S. regulators were reducing the down payment to zero, or they created so-called `reverse mortgages,' we thought that was ridiculous," Liu said at the World Economic Forum in this eastern Chinese city. He said debt in the United States and elsewhere rose to "dangerous and indefensible" levels.

Liu's comments were unusually pointed criticism of U.S. financial regulation for a Chinese official. They added to suggestions by countries that are under U.S. pressure to liberalize their financial markets that Washington's model might not be ideal.

China has based its reforms on the United States but has moved gradually. It has kept its financial markets isolated from global capital flows, prompting complaints by its trading partners.

As China made changes, Liu said, "a lot of the time, we learned that what we had learned from our teacher the day before was wrong."

China's state-owned banks have avoided the turmoil roiling Western markets. Chinese banks hold bonds from failed Wall Street house Lehman Brothers, but they are a tiny fraction of their vast assets.

Liu compared Washington's proposed $700 billion plan to revive credit markets to fast food and said the world needed to look at longer-term solutions.

"Fast food is convenient. This $700 billion package must ease the concerns and build up confidence. But if you only take this, it doesn't agree with your stomach. You should think about Chinese slow cooking and slow food," he said, prompting laughter from his audience.

Liu called for governments to create international standards and regulatory systems for globalized financial markets. He said Beijing has signed information-exchange agreements on financial regulation with 32 other countries since the turmoil began.

Liu pointed to China's experience with real estate and the collapse of a stock market boom.

As stock prices soared, banks were ordered to make sure customers were not using loans or credit cards to finance speculation. As a result, Liu said, even though stock prices have plummeted 63 percent since the October peak, banks have suffered no rise in loan defaults.

"We Chinese can share our own experiences with all the market practitioners," Liu said. "Maybe our experience cannot be applicable to developed markets fully. But still, I think it might be useful and helpful to those in emerging markets."

The crisis is likely to increase the influence of China and other emerging economies in the world financial system, though Wall Street will retain its leading role, said Chinese and foreign businesspeople at the conference, the Chinese leg of the forum based in Davos, Switzerland.

"I believe this kind of regional financial strength will play a bigger and more important role," said Jiang Jianqing, chairman of state-owned Industrial & Commercial Bank of China Ltd., the world's biggest commercial lender by market capitalization.

"Right now the market is very unitary," with U.S. bonds dominating global holdings, Jiang said. "This kind of a unitary, over-centralized market is something we need to change." Still, he said, Wall Street's "dominance will continue."

The European Union trade commissioner, Peter Mandelson, defended the global capital markets structure, warning that drastic change might hurt prosperity.

"The capital market system, fundamentally, is not flawed," Mandelson said. "We are not looking for some alternative, and I hope that people in the emerging markets, in China for example, are not looking for an alternative to properly functioning capital markets."

The crisis is likely to reduce resistance in the West to investments by government funds as companies urgently seek capital, said Thomas Enders, CEO of the European aircraft producer Airbus Industrie.

Critics have questioned the possible political motives of state-run funds and an EU official warned last year they might face restrictions if they fail to disclose more information about their goals and tactics.

"I would dare to predict that, yes, one of the big changes we will see is greater acceptance of sovereign wealth funds," Enders said.

I was thinking that the US was born, thrived and died within 200 years. Must make ancient cultures (like China) just look back and ask, Why?

I've been saying for a few years now that within 20 years, China will be the world superpower and will get there either economically or by force. The U.S. is finished.

Mark

yes - they had a very short reign in the scheme of things. even the romans ruled the "known" world for nearly 1000 years before falling apart.

and don't the americans, who realise the end is nigh, hate it. interesting speech from obama vowing to reinstate the usa as the leading power in the world, a country that others look up to.

i wonder how long it will take for the plebs to realise they "ain't the ants pants" anymore.

I was thinking that the US was born, thrived and died within 200 years. Must make ancient cultures (like China) just look back and ask, Why?

I think they got it too easy.

Continental USA, when settled, was the most wonderful, bountiful land imaginable. The hunting and fishing was easy and financed the early settlements. As they developed there were vast fertile plains for farmers, gold for the adventurers big rivers to navigate. They had literally everything and raped and pillaged it shamelessly and now it is gone. I doubt they are tough enough now to do the hard yards.

Continental USA, when settled, was the most wonderful, bountiful land imaginable. The hunting and fishing was easy and financed the early settlements. As they developed there were vast fertile plains for farmers, gold for the adventurers big rivers to navigate. They had literally everything and raped and pillaged it shamelessly and now it is gone. I doubt they are tough enough now to do the hard yards.

So was every country before European settlers came along.
Humanity repeats itself over and over again. Take from the earth, multiply until the earth can not support the population and then wonder what happened.
What the world needs is human population control. But that is a topic for another day...

the US have been burning the $$$ they get from tax payers in the form of military hardwear, so too many bad debts?? i think so?

Well the next 20 years should be interesting, not sure how long it will take the youth culture to come from somewhere else but the economic lead should be coming from china within 20years.

Regards
Graeme

So was every country before European settlers came along.
Humanity repeats itself over and over again. Take from the earth, multiply until the earth can not support the population and then wonder what happened.
What the world needs is human population control. But that is a topic for another day...
China is more of a mess than the USA or Australia, from an environmental perspective. The rivers are stuffed, lots of land is farmed, lots of concrete on fertile soil, heaps of pollution. Maybe change the European settlers to Humanity and you might be closer to the mark.

Regards
Graeme

i think we can take us and china as our world future, the world population will increase at 4 billion more people in the next 2 years and expedentialy after that, when we run out of oil say the next 20 years watch out. no mach to pull carrots, sew wheat, starvation will occure on a global scale and the ballence will return??

Isn't there also a saying 'Land of wealth and plenty' somewhere in their Anthem? Given that, and their propensity for firearms (and every man can bear arms to protect life an property) if this financial disaster doesn't blow them away, there will be someone with a firearm that will do the job. Such promise, but such a screwed society. (bet that gets censored:D)

When they had the last shooting in a texa's uni, one of the moms said , see if our kids could take their pistols to school this would'nt have happened.
I belive their should be a "special" place for americans that think like this, and they do! they call it "America"

I've been saying for a few years now that within 20 years, China will be the world superpower and will get there either economically or by force. The U.S. is finished.

Mark

Guys,

I read a book years ago by Nostradamus. He predicted a triad of power - China, Russia and for the life of me I can't remember the third - Japan? Anyone?

Looks like Russia is back in the game. Scarey, scarey.:(

Regards JO

i thought the share traders would fall for the us bail thing and the market would be positive , mmm? i was wrong?
Josko was there any thing about the lotto numbers in that Nostradamus book of yours?lol

Isn't there also a saying 'Land of wealth and plenty' somewhere in their Anthem? Given that, and their propensity for firearms (and every man can bear arms to protect life an property) if this financial disaster doesn't blow them away, there will be someone with a firearm that will do the job. Such promise, but such a screwed society. (bet that gets censored:D)

why would that get censored? i've posted much more opinionated thoughts than that!

Maybe change the European settlers to Humanity and you might be closer to the mark.

Earlier, in response to that post, I decided against mentioning what the first settlers did to this continent thousands of years ago. "Fire stick" agriculture changed the landscape dramatically and permanantly. So you are correct to say "Humanity".

Having lived in China and done business there...

They may have fancy trains (built by a German engineering firm) that go quite quick and fancy stadiums shaped like birds nests (designed by Swiss architects) and world class hospitals (staffed by Canadian doctors) but.

The place is also seriously ****ed up in many ways. Its pretty easy to move from the third world to the bottom row of the first world. Its a hell of a lot harder to work your way up the rungs. No one in the first world is going to buy your products if you keep putting melanine in the milk. At least toxic bonds dont kill you outright.

For starters they are going to have to deal with their massive corruption problems. And the state of their banks, which no matter what the Chinese prudential regulator may say, are worse off than the US (its just that they are openly propped up the government).

Nah China has a lot of work to do. 20 years is way too ambitious.

Back