USA Lording it over others: No more

I mentioned in another post the movie on the beach which was filmed in Melbourne in the 1950's. It was about a nuclear war where Melbourne was the last surving pocket of life before it too was snuffed out by the radiation from the prevailing winds from the northern hemisphere.
Yes, seen it and loved it! Only I saw the modern adaptation with Bryan Brown in his red Ferrari. Was a great movie...

I wonder if the book your wife read is The Chrysalids, by John Wyndham?

Post nuclear world, ultra religious, those 'deviant' (different) are outcast. The main character can communicate with 'thoughts' and has to hide this fact from everyone. He tries to escape to the southern land referred to as "Sealand".
That's it!! I haven't read it, but will have to add it to my must read list now. :D

Cheers,
Michael

PS Go Obama Go!!

My wife read a book which she loved in which the mystical Southern land that the post-holocaust Northern Hemisphere-ites all dream aboue escaping too is called Zeeland. It turns out that they're all trying to escape to New Zealand which is the land of plenty, and the only pocket of Nirvanna to have escaped the exchanged Nukes...

Did I mention that my wife also wants to get dual Kiwi citizenship and buy a house over there now as an "escape hatch" if we need it. She reckons Aus is on a hiding to nothing with global warming and water scarcity and Zeeland may turn out to be that abundant Nirvanna sooner than we think. :D

Cheers,
Michael
Michael,

I have had this exact same scenario playing out in my head for some years, not sure where I got the idea from but I don't think it's an original thought at all.

Lets hope that the change of govt in the US can be a catalyst for better times in the world and that this scenario never comes to pass.

Diversification over two different countries is something you never hope to have to use I guess.

Andrew.

My understanding is if a person is an Australian citizen they can live in New Zealand indefinitely and come and go as they please. Same sort of deal as New Zealanders (who arrived in Australia post Feb 2001) currently receive in Australia. No entitlement to social security but otherwise not much difference to NZ citizens. Those NZ citizens who arrived in Australia pre-Feb 2001 can acess our social security.

"E2.1.10 People exempt from having to hold a temporary permit

NZ Immigration Act 1987 ss 4A, 11, 12, 14E(4)
NZ Immigration Regulations 1999 Schedule 1, Part 2

People exempt from having to hold a temporary permit include but are not limited to:
citizens of the Commonwealth of Australia"

Will be interesting to see Obama's first just cause.....
defending Israel against Irani nuclear threat? no
being pwned by Nth Korea over and over...maybe
saving Kenyans and Sudanese from atrocities and genocide? maybe
letting Russia integrate Baltic State resources.
getting out of Afghanistan.....eventually
withdrawing financial support for democratic govt in Pakistan....yes
turning a blind eye to troubles in Thailand, Burma, Indonesia, Malaysia......yes

I am very long oil and gold. When Obama pulls the troops out of Iraq, oil supply will dive, the country will go into a short civil war and the most extreme Islamists will take power.

Israel must be packing death that Obama got in.

Michael,

I have had this exact same scenario playing out in my head for some years, not sure where I got the idea from but I don't think it's an original thought at all.

Lets hope that the change of govt in the US can be a catalyst for better times in the world and that this scenario never comes to pass.

Diversification over two different countries is something you never hope to have to use I guess.

Andrew.

why stuff around with this... just go to Tassie.

He is struggling to choose between French /German/Chinese?
Having learnt French for a number of years (back in high school) and a little Mandarin, but no German, I reckon both French and Mandarin are interesting. In this part of the world, Mandarin would be considerably more practical though.

For an English speaker, I think French is easier to learn in the early stages, as Mandarin has some unusual sounds and the spoken language is tonal. Of course the written Chinese language is much harder too. Overall though, I think Mandarin grammar is easier and more regular than English or French. If your son is interested in languages, I'd suggest Mandarin, but if he's just doing it because he has to, I think French will be easier.

I don't really see much point in learning German at all these days, unless you're interested in linguistics or intend to frequent the country. After English and French, I think the next most useful European language would be Spanish.

GP

I am very long oil and gold. When Obama pulls the troops out of Iraq

You think Osama is any different to Bush? He's not gonna pull out of Iraq, his masters won't allow it. All you sheeple who are like 'Woot! Woot! Osama you're so awesome and black!' don't forget he's still an upper middle class POLITICIAN.

The Republicrat death machine rolls on.

Mark

Hahaha Pushka, so true! When it comes down to it, I personally prefer Osama over McCain. At least he came across as someone who can express himself. McCain just came across as being a bit useless really and totally lacking in confidence.

Still... Osama didn't have any real policies other than espousing 'change' ad nauseam. It'll be interesting to see how he goes - America is in a whole mess of trouble at the moment and they need someone who can lead and make the tough decisions that need to be made. So we'll see how he goes.

It says a lot for our society as a whole that we have degenerated into a group of mindless morons who vote in a leader based on the colour of his skin rather than based on who is genuinely the best man for the job. Not that there is much of a choice these days with our 'Two Candidates, One Party' system that we have in the West.

Mark

Hahaha Pushka, so true!

Mark

ALthough I think you are a dill leftie Mark, I 100% agree with what you say above. Both candidates were heavily compromised....and Osama was voted in on the colour of his skin and McCain's uninspirational nature.

I am generally critical of Osama. but the one hope i have is that he is smart enough not to do anything really stupid, like carry out any of the expensive govt handouts he campaigned to do.

And even though I am a righty, I admit Bush should have got out of Iraq 5 years ago, Afghanistan 3 years ago, and regulated the markets more intelligently.

Nevertheless, when Obama pulls the troops out of Iraq, Iran will have their puppet govt controlling Baghdad in no time, and Saudi, UAE, and Kuwait and Israel will be packing death. And I'll be very long and deep oil stocks.

right

would be so kind to tell us what does the GDP consists of, and what's the population in Lithuania

GDP of my family per capita also leaves quite a few countries for dust, but that doesn't mean anything, does it?:)

Lets just hope he hasnt got too much JFK.... i'd like to see the guy serve out his term and possibly a 2nd term in full.

As for the China factor - I have to agree with topCropper.
If anyone has actually been into mainland china (ie. not the big cities like Hong Kong, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Beijing, etc) will know that there is simply no way a country that runs so inefficiently as outlined by TC can be a world leader. - By FORCE!
I find Thailand to be more "developed" than China.

China has a LONG way to go yet - they need a few generations of change to catch up to the likes of the 1st world countries.
Like TC said - half their population are peasant farmers, and yet the nation can hardly feed itself.

BlueCard,

Why Maori? Please explain?

Agree with getting rid of French and German in favor of Cantanese or Manderin but I guess they are the easier languages to learn.

Anyone can criticise Obama but Sarah P. was way to scarey to allow into the WH. That woman is a walking time bomb.:eek:

Regards JO'

Regards JO

Sarah Palin is hot. Seriously.

Mark

he he settle down.....Was speaking to an expat today, he says a US newspaper has leaked she answered a knock at her door to two SS guys in nothing but a towel.....on her head!....:eek:

the dirt begins to surface.

regards JO

Back