USA military base for Darwin

President Barack Obama to set up US military base in Darwin

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...#ixzz1dLE3ZbhQ

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-1...536?section=nt

"
Mr Obama and Ms Gillard are to say the US will not build a new base for the Marines but will use the Robertson Barracks, the Australian base near Darwin.

But the base is home to about 4500 Australian soldiers and has capacity for only a couple of hundred more. The facilities will need to be expanded to accommodate the US Marines on rotation, whose numbers are expected to build."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/us-marine-base-for-darwin-20111110-1n9lk.html#ixzz1dMmIGVX5

Hmmmm... they just moved a shedload of soldiers out of Darwin, I would imagine they'll upgrade what was left behind, but that'll still be a fair package of work. Plus the Yanks travel in style, there'll be a lot of Subways and other fast food retailers potentially looking for commercial real estate ;)

Hmmmm... they just moved a shedload of soldiers out of Darwin, I would imagine they'll upgrade what was left behind, but that'll still be a fair package of work. Plus the Yanks travel in style, there'll be a lot of Subways and other fast food retailers potentially looking for commercial real estate ;)

Really? They moved a shedload of soldiers out of Darwin? Are you sure about this?

If you look closely, you will find that something else entirely, has happened. Look up Hardened Network Army, John Howard, circa 2006 and see here for "part of what happened" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/7th_Battalion,_Royal_Australian_Regiment

Darwin didn't necessarily "lose" a "shedload".... the government re-raised 5 & 7 RAR as separate battalions, leaving the new 5 RAR in Darwin (where there was once 5/7 RAR) and re-raising 7 RAR in Edinburgh, SA, which is part of 1 Brigade, based in Darwin.

So what exactly was left behind to to be upgraded? I'm not following your logic on this issue...

No not true, 5/7 RAR split and 7 RAR moved to Adelaide, 5 RAR stayed in Darwin... The unit is no smaller in size or role after the split....

No not true, 5/7 RAR split and 7 RAR moved to Adelaide, 5 RAR stayed in Darwin... The unit is no smaller in size or role after the split....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but alot of the support elements and the like (light cav, transport, etc.) as well as the infantry moved about to Adelaide, about 2,500 people in total. The choppers and 5RAR obviously stayed, but those 2,000 grunts had to live somewhere beforehand.

I'm thinking that a lot of the Marines will be accommodated in the barracks around town, although not having been to Darwin in over a year I couldn't say whether they've done or are going to do anything with the on-base accommodation.

US bases in Aust ruled out

US bases in Aust ruled out

The federal government has rejected reports that a US Marine Corps base will be established in Darwin, while pledging to step up joint exercises.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard and US President Barack Obama and are expected to unveil details for greater cooperation between their two countries' forces when the American leader visits next week
http://www.skynews.com.au/politics/article.aspx?id=684377&vId=2843633&cId=Politics

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...tion-in-a-crisis/story-e6frg8yo-1226197235810

Elite northern military unit allows US quick intervention in a crisis by: Brendan Nicholson, Defence editor From: The Australian November 17, 2011 12:00AM

THE arrival of a 2500-strong marines taskforce in the Northern Territory is just the start of greater co-operation with the US. Also planned are increased use of air and naval bases, army training areas and bombing ranges across the Top End.

There are usually 200 to 300 US military personnel in Australia working on defence co-operation and, in particular, planning the massive annual Talisman Sabre exercise involving US and regional armed forces.

By early next year, an advance party of about 250 personnel from a US marines air-ground taskforce will move into the Darwin area.

They will spend six months training through the dry season at the Australian Defence Force's Bradshaw and Mount Bundy training areas in the Northern Territory.

By 2016-17, the taskforce will be built up to its full strength of about 2500 personnel.

...It is designed to fight at short notice as a powerful, self-contained force with its own protective air power, able to land on a hostile shore or carry out non-combat operations such as disaster relief.

It will give Washington the ability to intervene in the region very quickly in the event of a crisis.

The marines will bring considerable equipment with them, including amphibious assault ships similar to the two giant landing helicopter docks being built for the Royal Australian Navy along with Harrier jump jets and troop-carrying helicopters.

The marines will be backed by artillery, engineers and light armoured vehicles.

They will be entitled to carry out their own training separate from the ADF.

There will also be many more visits to RAAF Base Darwin and RAAF Base Tindal, 330km south of Darwin, by US aircraft including giant B-52 bombers, a noisy echo of the Cold War.

The B-52s will increase their use of the Delamere Air Weapons Range, which lies about 140km southwest of Tindal.

Both governments have been at pains to stress that there will be no US bases on Australian soil, just continued access to joint facilities such as the intelligence-gathering base at Pine Gap and increased access to Australian facilities.

The military expansion takes place under the existing 1963 Status of Forces Agreement between Australia and the US and teams of officials from both countries have been working for more than a year on legal agreements governing US access to Australian facilities.

Still under consideration is the increased use by US warships and possibly nuclear submarines of HMAS Stirling naval base, south of Rockingham, in Western Australia.

Influential American commentators have been arguing strongly that the US navy needs to prevail on Canberra for greater access to Australian bases for US warships and submarines.

In a recent paper for the Lowy Institute, Toshi Yoshihara from the US Naval War College said that, with the rise of China and India, basing US surface warships and submarines at HMAS Stirling would give them the benefit of direct access to the Indian Ocean.

Mr Yoshihara said a big advantage of bases in Australia was that they lay between the Indian Ocean and Western Pacific "theatres" and well outside Chinese missile range.

"Warships and submarines based in Western Australia would benefit from direct access to the Indian Ocean, freeing them from the risks of passing through chokepoints and narrow seas," he said.

That's an idea that appeals to former defence minister Peter Reith, who recently reignited the nuclear submarine debate.

Mr Reith said that instead of building 12 conventional submarines, Australia should buy or lease a fleet of nuclear-powered submarines from the US and operate them from a joint naval base in Australia.

Greens leader Bob Brown said the plan for a greater US military presence in Australia should be debated by parliament.

Senator Brown said the Greens welcomed Mr Obama but Australia's mistake of following the US into Iraq and not bringing the troops home from Afghanistan, as Canada had done, showed the costs of not having an independent foreign policy.

President Barack Obama to set up US military base in Darwin

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news...#ixzz1dLE3ZbhQ

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-11-1...536?section=nt

"
Mr Obama and Ms Gillard are to say the US will not build a new base for the Marines but will use the Robertson Barracks, the Australian base near Darwin.

But the base is home to about 4500 Australian soldiers and has capacity for only a couple of hundred more. The facilities will need to be expanded to accommodate the US Marines on rotation, whose numbers are expected to build."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/us-marine-base-for-darwin-20111110-1n9lk.html#ixzz1dMmIGVX5
Maybe the US are already in the NT,just far away from the public eyes,when i worked in Darwin after Cyclone Tracey in 1974,we went in about 4 weeks after it all happened and there was front bar talk about all the US personal some say above 7000 that were the first to fly out from the underground bunkers deep in central Armham Land,maybe it happened ..but a lot of people saw the B52,S COME IN AND LEAVE OVER SEVERAL DAYS..

Greens leader Bob Brown said the plan for a greater US military presence in Australia should be debated by parliament.

Senator Brown said the Greens welcomed Mr Obama but Australia's mistake of following the US into Iraq and not bringing the troops home from Afghanistan, as Canada had done, showed the costs of not having an independent foreign policy.

right, so the US presence can be debated in parliament, but the Carbon Tax is here whether you like it or not?

Democracy ain't about convenience.

FWIW - this base is a great idea. The previous and current govts have been so stupid as to leave our huge wealth reserves in the North and North West COMPLETELY indefensible.

At least this way countries like China can see we're protecting our assets.

right, so the US presence can be debated in parliament, but the Carbon Tax is here whether you like it or not?

Carbon pricing was debated in parliament and the govt view prevailed in our democratically elected parliament.

On this issue though I agree. I see it as a positive move as I think most of the population will. The parallels to Canada are not the same. The ANZUS treaty is as valuable now to both parties as it ever was and I suspect most Australians recognise its value and take significant comfort in it, rightly or wrongly. Of course our commitment to the US has led us into battles we would rather not have had (eg Vietnam) but over the long term I certainly feel safer with a significant US presence in Australia, given the puny amounts our own government spends on Defence.

President Obama sure has a way with words though. I don't think I've heard a better orator in my lifetime.

Carbon pricing was debated in parliament and the govt view prevailed in our democratically elected parliament.

a minority government is not what i would call "democratically" elected - elected, yes, but not by democracy - which is the essence of "majority rules".

a minority government does not meet the intent of democracy at all.

a minority government is not what i would call "democratically" elected - elected, yes, but not by democracy - which is the essence of "majority rules".

a minority government does not meet the intent of democracy at all.

By that definition the govts of UK, Italy, Greece etc etc etc aren't democratic. There are an awful lot of minority govts around the democratic world - the Australian experience of a general duopoly in the parliament is the exception rather than the rule. And when outright rule occurs the conflict occurs within parties rather than between parties anyway. The conflict of ideas is always there. Plenty of minority govts get things done as the negotiation process required often improves outcomes. Case in point the carbon legislation that just passed within a minority govt when it couldn't when Labor had a majority in the lower house. Another case in point is Workchoices where the Libs went too far because they didn't have to negotiate with anyone in either the upper or lower house - so the govt gets thrown out instead as a result. Absolute power is rarely a good thing in a government.

It doesn't matter whether one party holds an outright majority. The legislation passed because a majority of the members of parliament voted for it. It doesn't get more democratic than that, short of a pure democracy, which I'm sure you're not advocating.

But we're off topic, so I'll leave it there so as not to derail the thread.

Back to military bases in Darwin!

The question remains, will they be upgrading existing sites, providing additonal accommodation etc - if so, where are the workers going to stay ie short term investment opportunities or will the DHA be looking to buy & sell off properties as well?

Maybe the US are already in the NT,just far away from the public eyes,when i worked in Darwin after Cyclone Tracey in 1974,we went in about 4 weeks after it all happened and there was front bar talk about all the US personal some say above 7000 that were the first to fly out from the underground bunkers deep in central Armham Land,maybe it happened ..but a lot of people saw the B52,S COME IN AND LEAVE OVER SEVERAL DAYS..

What about the oil tunnels the Yanks still have under their guard in Darwin. They have been guarded since the 2nd world war too.
Top Secret those areas are. Top Security too.

If you have a yak to one or two of the old fellas [guides] that sit out side the tunnel that is open to the public you will walk away with many more un answered questions that what you started with. A bit of a worry really.

Do you know to this day not one person has ever been found that had anything to do with building those tunnels. What an effort.
This is another big story in itself.
Cheers
yadreamin

Territorians think its a good thing
the bar even slowed down drinking during the news about security for the UsPrez,
the drinking didnt slow down last night when a bushfire cut off the power

FWIW - this base is a great idea. The previous and current govts have been so stupid as to leave our huge wealth reserves in the North and North West COMPLETELY indefensible.

A great idea, because it will finally protect our northern wealth reserves?

Have you asked, what will those reserves be worth to us without their northern market?

It's a perilous but ultimately prudent idea, because it's a seriously complicated world we live in.

Back