USD bank account with HSBC

After months of pondering and researching, we finally submitted the application to open a USD bank account with HSBC.

Initially I contacted HSBC in Sydney - they emailed me the information and there would be a charge of $200. However, when I asked them further questions, they referred me to HSBC in NY. I phoned and emailed them and got the facts sorted out. There was no $200 fee if we dealt directly with HSBC NY.

We have asked for a check (ie cheque) account, a savings account and a master debit card. It will take 4 weeks to process. We will be in the US in March, so we will be able to test drive the accounts and the debit card at ATMs.

hi babushka
do they do a credit card not debit card
and can you access that here
I would like to know if you can do a credit card
do or sign up from here
is it a cirrus card
and can you use the credit card their and pay off the card here.
ho
and if anyone can tell me any other us credit cards that can be organised there but the balance paid off here must be cirrus

hi babushka
do they do a credit card not debit card
and can you access that here
I would like to know if you can do a credit card
do or sign up from here
is it a cirrus card
and can you use the credit card their and pay off the card here.
ho
and if anyone can tell me any other us credit cards that can be organised there but the balance paid off here must be cirrus

Yes, we could have applied for a credit card also but we decided not to do it because we already have other credit cards in Australia. However, it appears that they issue MasterCard (if we want a credit card then we have to give additional details about jobs, income etc). I am not sure what is a cirrus card.

Can't answer your question about using the credit card in the US, but pay off the card in Australia. I suspect you can if you ask for internet banking and funds transfer so you can access your account in Australia and make the payments here.

I suggest you contact HSBC International Banking area in Sydney - tel 1300 131 623, or email HSBC International Banking in the US [email protected] for your specific questions. I have found they have been helpful.

not sure about your situation and why you require a USD account but no bank in aust is worth its salt when it comes to USD accounts...............

- fees are ridiculous

- any conversions to AUD through a bank you wont get good rates, in fact you will get ripped..

Wells Fargo in the US maybe an option, there is one other also that foreigners can open a US a/c with easily but I just cannot remember their name..

Another option:

Open an account with ozforex here in Australia.....easy transfers, great exchange rates and hastle free cheap transactions..

I use ozforex every day for business transactions...cannot fault them...

Way better rates than any Aussie bank and less fees which helps. $15 bucks for a transaction you cant go wrong..

Good luck.

not sure about your situation and why you require a USD account but no bank in aust is worth its salt when it comes to USD accounts...............

- fees are ridiculous

- any conversions to AUD through a bank you wont get good rates, in fact you will get ripped..

Wells Fargo in the US maybe an option, there is one other also that foreigners can open a US a/c with easily but I just cannot remember their name..

Another option:

Open an account with ozforex here in Australia.....easy transfers, great exchange rates and hastle free cheap transactions..

I use ozforex every day for business transactions...cannot fault them...

Way better rates than any Aussie bank and less fees which helps. $15 bucks for a transaction you cant go wrong..

Good luck.

1. we needed a usd bank account to potentially purchase a property (condo) in the US for a poor and old relative to live in - who cannot rent because having no credit history. also, hubby goes to NY for work twice a year and it is handy to have a usd bank account for him to use while there.

2. agree with you about ozforex. We already have an account with ozforex as well as hifx - better rates than the banks. And, we have used them in the past 2 years to buy usd to purchase us shares and to send money to relatives in north america. All my siblings live in north america (canada and usa).

ive fone through all my old stuff on this computer but cant find that other back in the US who will accept non US citizens to open an account im sorry..

Maybe what you need to do is try a bank like CITIBANK who are in OZ as well as the US...perhaps they can help or steer you in the right direction.

or: Call a few US banks late tonight and ask, im sure there will be someone who could help you for sure.

From memory there was quite a lot of paperwork associated with it when i last looked into it around 4 yrs ago....

Good luck, let me know how you got on with a PM, curious to know for future reference.

Cheers.

Back