Useful Property Apps????

An excerpt from The Hudson Report

Sun Seeker: 3D Augmented Reality Viewer ($5.49)

Ever walked into a property and wondered where the sun comes up and sets and whether or not this will be a problem with your lifestyle and living arrangements? Natural light is very important to many buyers and renovators and can make or break the sale of a property. This can now be solved by downloading the SunSeeker app that helps buyers and renovators work out a property's dark and light side.

MagicPlan (free)

Using the camera function, MagicPlan measures and draws your floor plan. All you have to do is stand in the middle of the room and point your camera at all four corners and the app will do the rest providing you with floor plans in PDF, JPG or DXF.

Home Design 3D ($8.49)

There is a free trial version of this app but essentially it is a step up from MagicPlan.

You start by drawing up the rooms of your house, before adding in elements such as furniture. You then hit the 3D button and you can view the property from several different angles while working out what you like and what you don’t.

The Builder App (free)

If you watched the TV show The Block then you would have seen this app being used quite frequently by the contestants.

This app is specific to Australia and puts renovators in contact with both tradies and suppliers.

It features a ''get quotes'' function, which sends out a message to all the relevant tradies and suppliers within 25 kilometres, who then contact you with a quote. Great if you are looking for multiple quotes and are sick of leaving messages for tradies and waiting for a return call.

Handy Man DIY ($1.99)
This app provides step-by-step videos and instructions for simple renovation tasks. It also has features for storing information about your rooms and costs.

iHandy Carpenter ($1.99)

This is a virtual tool kit for renovators who like to try and “do it themselves”. It comprises the five most common tools used by carpenters - a plumb bob, surface level, bubble level bar, steel protractor and steel ruler.

Houzz Interior Design Ideas (free)

If you are looking to bring out your inner interior designer then this is the app for you. It features more than 500,000 photos of properties that you can browse by style, room and location. Comparing interior and exterior design elements.

Dream Home (99¢)

This is more of an interactive app then the previous one in that users submit their own interiors, others rate them and those with the highest rating go into the “popular section” for others to view.

ColorChange ($2.99)

Arghhh the big decision that all renovators dread…..deciding what colour to paint the walls. This app allows you to take a picture of a wall and apply different colours to see what you like. The ''magic'' function cleverly excludes things such as doors and windows.

Dulux MyColour (free)

Ever been wondering around someone else’s house or just out and about and think “wow I love the colour of that wall I would love to have that at my house”… then this is the app for you. With Dulux MyColour, you simply snap a picture of the colour you like (no matter what surface it is on), tap the photo and select the colour within the image and the app will tell you the name of the paint that most closely matches that colour.

Does anyone know a good ipad specific app that acts as a cashflow calculator that's designed for the Australian market?

I found a free version of an app called Property Evaluator which is neeeaaarrrly there but it'd be nice if it could calculate stamp duty etc too...

'Pocket Zoner' is a very useful app for a basic due diligence and its free. You simply drop the pin on a google map and it generates a request for information which goes to the responsible town planning firm in that state for them to provide you the answers, with turnaround within 48hrs.

Disclaimer: the firm I'm at runs the WA properties although it hasn't really taken off here, apparently it's popular over east though.

My apologies if I'm doubling up or someone has already mentioned this, but a great little app for those starting out is 'Property Cash Flow Calculator'. It's quite rudimentary but certainly gives an at-a-glance ballpark figure of the overall holding/running costs for a property.

I find it great to use when initially canvassing potential properties. Providing you know the quarterly outgoings, rental rate it'll fetch, and a few other fields, it can calculate your holding costs before or after tax (based on your income tax bracket).

Cameron McEvoy

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Android (free) app is "Australia Property Tool"

Provides several calculators, such as
  • Mortgage Repayment
  • Stamp Duty
  • Tax Depreciation
  • Cash Flow Analyser

The creator also has a webpage for online use at the following address;
http://onewebforall.com/index.html

Oh, and also importantly - no annoying ads!

Regards
Rob

Below are some Apps that I use regularly:

Mortgage Calculators

- Loan Helper
- Tap Mortgage

Depreciation Calculators

- WB Dep Calc
- BMT Tax Calc

Real Estate

- Realestate
- View
- Domain
- Century21

All my feasos and calculations I mostly do on Excel. If it's on the go and I need to crunch some numbers I use an app called myProperty, it's fairly basic but its worth a try :) all of the apps mentioned are free as well so give it a crack.

Hope this helps,
D.

A little left field, but I like the Dial before you dig app. You can use it when you have narrowed down to on eor two properties. Basically you submit the property address, and over the next 24-48 hours all major authorities email you all the drawings and plans they have on the property! Good to see easements, gotchas for development etc.

Back