Using a Buyers agent

What really bugs me the most about BA's is generally they don't tell you what areas they work in, I personally want to know to make sure that those area agree with my research, I'm not saying that I know better but at the end of the day, it's my investment dollars at work.
I agree. If they won't tell you - walk away.

Just another thing, they don’t like giving you their office address when I ask, so I have an idea how far they need to travel to a particular area I’m interested, ...
This is not a secret. Literally 2 clicks of a mouse and you can find out. Start here: http://www.propertyservicesregister.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/olc/psr/Search.do

But as to date, the best BA I have used is Jacque from this forum
Jacque is excellent.

I think if people think they will be buying more than a couple of properties in the future, it would be worthwhile to do everything themselves ... the experience will be invaluable and save you $ in the long run.

If you have plenty of time you are right,

I haven't and I prefer to relax on my days off, last break I went to Japan, before that, Bali, America, New Zealand..... (I work 4 weeks and have 10 days off)

but at about 2% cost, I can have the best of two worlds, providing I get a good BA:)

Simonc, I'd suggest you talk to a few, feel them out, ask them to address a list of 6-10 questions that are of importance to you. See how knowledgeable they come across, and whether they communicate on your level.

You might even try a multi choice exam on them :)
i.e.

what's the building setback from the rear boundary on a low density residential property in Brisbane City Council?

what if there's a park at the rear?

I've been warned about combined sewers, but am uncertain what they are....can you please explain?

I've been warned about demolition control precincts. Are there any ways of getting around DCP code, and what are they?

What's a multi unit development site? (MUD)?

Give two reasons why rates might come down, and go up.

What's the growth rate of Brisbane, and how much is natural increase versus interstate migration, versus overseas migration?

Where do new migrants tend to look for property?

You might find a BA who is good on his local area, but you ideally want one who understands the town plan, intended zoning changes, development process, low and high end burbs equally, and the Qld auction and contract process.

Further, I prefer to use a BA who understands the macro and micro side of things. How else can they recognize fair market value and potential otherwise?

You want to avoid at all costs, a person who calls themselves a BA but is trying to sell property within a couple of new developments. That is not a BA at all, as others have alluded.

Good luck with it. Years ago I wouldn't have used one, but certainly would now, due to the sheer amount of time and energy and historical perspective required to buy well. In fact, I am happier to pay BA comm than Sales agent comm.

My error in this instance was in the wording of the termination of services - I wrote to them saying that I did not require their services as of now and that I'd found a property myself - in hindsight what I should have done was issue thirty days notice and not told them that I'd bought elsewhere. (stupid)* if they had found us somthing suitable then great but they hadn't and time was running out for us.

They had my 3k which I was happyish to lose for their (minimal) efforts. There was nothing in the contract restricting me from finding and buying properties not shown to me. My lawyer was furious after reading the letter from them to us and wrote to them and we didn't hear anything from them again. This makes me think that if they'd acted legally then they would have at least responded to his letter.

In my view a buyers agent should be paid on results just like a rea and not try these underhand stunts as it brings down the reputation of the industry.*

I have engaged the services of a BA in Brisbane.
Fee for a 600k property will be around 8k.
I'm very happy with the service so far and could not do it myself due to being very time poor as well as being interstate.

BS, as you're happy with your BA would you mind naming him (or her) for everyone's benefit?

Back