Using the "New" FHOG in Sydney

Hi all,

I am new to this forum so please let me know if there is any etiquette in the posting or previous threads that have addressed this topic.

As the title suggests, I am looking to use the the "New" FHOG and Stamp Duty concessions to purchase a property in the $300k-$450k range anywhere in Sydney. My opinion is that these initiatives have grossly distorted the primary market and I'm seriously struggling to find any value (i.e. $400k+ for a 3 br townhouse in Mount Druitt?!!), so I was just intrigued how others looking to utilise the FHOG are approaching this situation - namely if you intend for this property to be an investment in the longer term.

I've considered options upon options and I think I am descending into madness ....New House/Land packages in Oran Park VS New House/Land packages in Ropes Crossing VS New townhouses in Oxley Park VS Off-the-plan apartments in Liverpool or Parramatta VS forego the concessions altogether and just try to find something that is so undervalued it negates this VS forego buying property altogether and just wait for the bubble to burst VS is there really a bubble VS but maybe there isn't a bubble VS but maybe there is.....and so on .....

Having worked in the institutional commercial property sector for a little while now (and not really knowing the investment practicality of purchasing a residential property as an individual) my only conclusion is that Sydney market, as a First Home buyer-cum-investor, is absolutely stupid.

Some insight from the pros on this forum would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks

Essentially you are correct in that the the FHOG as distorted the market. A lot of the OTP properties in Sydney are overpriced or in areas that are significant distant from transportation, infrastructure, CBD, etc.

There are OTP that can work well depending on your strategy but they are very rare particularly in Sydney and particularly when you factor in the strata rates that they charge. It really does cause havoc on your ongoing yield.

Back