Using UK bank cheque as deposit

HI ,

I'm wondering if it is possible to use a cheque from a UK bank account to make a deposit on a property in Oz. Are there cheque clearance problems ?( i've heard it can take a while for foreign cheques to clear)

Big Chris

Hi Big Chris
It certainly does. Overseas cheques take 30 working days to clear. You can pay $30 and get an early clearance but no guarantees and it can take 4-6 weeks.

Cheers
Elizabeth L:)

Um, not to say Elizabeth is wrong here.

But I have never had a cheque from the UK take more then 7 business days to clear. This was through Westpac and Which Bank....

Cheers
Robert

Gidday Robert
Aren't banks a nuisance. Last week, when I asked Which bank how long would it take for my english cheque to clear, they said 30 days. The cheque physically had to be sent back to the local branch in London - cleared there, and then the money sent back here to be transferred to Australian dollars.

If it’s only taken you 7 days to have a cheque cleared, I’d interested to know the branch so I can forward this information to my contact at the bank - I really would have liked the money within 7 days!! As it is, I’ve sent a letter direct to my English branch directing them to debit my Australian bank account the original money I was writing the cheque for – that will only take 7 days.

Cheers
Elizabeth L:)

Back