Valuation before contract signing?

Hi all,

Has anyone ever gotten a bank valuation done before signing a contract?

If so, and the valuation comes higher than the price you end up signing for - will the bank still honour the original valuation (eg. for LVR purposes)?

You would obviously need to pay for the valuation - and use a valuer the bank you want finance from uses......anyone ever done this?

Jen

If you want to try, I am trying to get hold of a valuation that has just been done on a property I am selling (as I have just got it refinanced). I am willing to sell UNDER this bank valuation :eek: :D

Cheers,

The Y-man

I always get a valuation before signing (well actually going on to our 3rd valuation now and haven't signed anything yet) and we did this after putting an offer in so I think the bank knew what we were offering (all done through broker), either that or they are psychic because the valuation has always come back at the exact same price we are offering.

I always get a valuation before signing (well actually going on to our 3rd valuation now and haven't signed anything yet) and we did this after putting an offer in so I think the bank knew what we were offering (all done through broker), either that or they are psychic because the valuation has always come back at the exact same price we are offering.

Yes, it's funny that way, eh? ;)

No, I'm wondering about getting a valuation done before putting in an offer - make the valuers actually work for their money :p - but I'm wondering if the bank will still honour the valuation if the offer and then contract signed price are less than the valuation??

Any experience on this is welcome :D

Cheers,
Jen

Jen

Any lender will only lend against purchase price or valuation whicever is the lower. Also you lender will only accept a valuation report assigned to them in their orescribed format.

Only benefit i can see is that you have an indication of the purchase price to base your offer on. If course in saying this if the vendor accepts a contract with someone else then you have spent money for nothing.

Jen

Any lender will only lend against purchase price or valuation whicever is the lower. Also you lender will only accept a valuation report assigned to them in their orescribed format.

Only benefit i can see is that you have an indication of the purchase price to base your offer on. If course in saying this if the vendor accepts a contract with someone else then you have spent money for nothing.

Thanks, that's what I suspected. Always thought those stories of people purchasing a bargain, getting a higher bank valuation which the lender lends against and hence having enough funds at settlement to cover all the costs, etc were very unlikely.

Still might be a useful exercise though in certain circumstances.

Cheers
Jen

In defence of the banks - an excellent indication of a property's true value is what an arms length seller and buyer are willing to trade it at.

Back