valuer AND agent at the same time?

is it possible to be employed as a valuer and a real estate agent at the same time? or is there a conflict of interest issue?

i'm at uni currently and have the option to come out doing either, but doing vals during the week and sales on the weekends seems to me like a good way to have 0 free time, but a master-at-work.

any insights?

thanks

Certainly in country areas I am aware of several agents who were also valuers.

Your conflict comes if you are valuing a property for a buyer that you are also the selling agent for.

Not sure why you would want to spend 3-4years at uni presumably studying an applied science or commerce field, depending on your uni to come out to be a salesman. You don't need to go to uni to be a real estate agent, seems like a waste of education to me. The ceiling is a lot higher for a valuer than as an estate agent in respect to earning potential and future career options.

Not necessarily... banks use rea's as valuers in non-urban areas.

It would depend if theres a conflict of interest. In the situation to hand, honestly I dont think you'd cut it as a rea as the long termers do put in a hell of a lot of milage so its not just a weekend job

With who earns more - horses for courses. Depends who you're talking to and where they sit on the totem pole

Not sure why you would want to spend 3-4years at uni presumably studying an applied science or commerce field, depending on your uni to come out to be a salesman. You don't need to go to uni to be a real estate agent, seems like a waste of education to me. The ceiling is a lot higher for a valuer than as an estate agent in respect to earning potential and future career options.

well i'm not, i'm doing the study to get into valuation, and am starting the registration process this week.

the reason i considered is sales is because my knowledge obviously quite good in that area, and have confidence in myself to be able to work after hours/weekends as a second job.

if i work one hour a day and a few on weekends and achieve one sale every 2 month period i'd be happy with it.

just wondering if im kidding myself thinking im capable is all.

Well in that case just looks like the old economic solution. Work out the opportunity cost and go from there. :D

Back