Valuers concerns or should I be concerned for the valuers ?

got a couple of vals back in middle to outer NW sydney burbs with the following style comments

We have considered a Risk Rating for Market Volatility as 4 due to the market considered inconsistent with regards to sales and uncertain market conditions

because English is not my first language, and im seeing a stock shortage and a robust market, can someone pls explain to me what these comments might actually mean ?

ta
rolf

ta
rolf

I've got an English to German dictionary lying around here somewhere :)

Was it the same valuer or two different ones?

Cheers

Jamie

Last edited:
We have considered a Risk Rating for Market Volatility as 4 due to the market considered inconsistent with regards to sales and uncertain market conditions

Not your fault Rolf. This sentence actually makes no sense whatsoever in English. Particularly with the number "4" thrown in the middle there.

two diff valuers with 2 slightly diff versions :) of the same

justification of 50 k low vals in the NW of Sydney - I mean the market direction is quite unpredictable obviously - you dont know is a well priced property will sell...:confused:

ta
rolf

I think they're alluding to a bubble forming. Are they allowed to do that i.e. predict the future?

Look, Im ok with that, they do need to advise the lender, thats their job, but then say that, dont weasel around with rubbish verbage that is open to interp.

Most mortgage insurers wont like a 4, makes the deals jumpy

ta
rolf

Rolf,

What about this one on a recent Inner West val in Sydney:

There has been a very recent increase in activity due to a demand for housing, coupled with the low interest rate climate. We also note that stock supply appears to be inadequate to meet the current requirements. Our enquiries with local agents have revealed that in some instances, auction results are well in excess of expectations, however there is no consistency and with many of those sales yet to achieve settlement. Having regard to all of the above, we note that this market is currently experiencing a spoke in capital growth and this a 4 for recent market direction is considered appropriate.

I would have thought recent market direction going up would be a good thing - not make the property more risky??

Regards,

Jason

I guess it's better than saying "crazy desperate people offering over market prices for crap means we can't determine if a home is worth the contract price".

I still can't believe some of the prices going for low end properties in my suburb, sometimes 20-30K over what already seems an ambitious price.

I guess it's better than saying "crazy desperate people offering over market prices for crap means we can't determine if a home is worth the contract price".

I still can't believe some of the prices going for low end properties in my suburb, sometimes 20-30K over what already seems an ambitious price.

yes,but applying a 4 risk rating AFTER deducting 50 k from the contract price.

Funnily enough, the best determinant of a market price is an auction............ but even there we sometimes get valuers coming back low. the best one was "the agent said there was a lot of interest in the property so the price achieved isnt the real market:)

ta
rolf

Funnily enough, the best determinant of a market price is an auction............ but even there we sometimes get valuers coming back low. the best one was "the agent said there was a lot of interest in the property so the price achieved isnt the real market:)

Had one just the other week.

10 bidders - so there was competition.

Valuation came back $90k under purchase price!

Ordered two more up fronts. One came back a littler higher than purchase price (also a very rare occurrence) and the other came back bang on purchase price.

Cheers

Jamie

Purchase price vals really should be rubber stamps unless there is something really wrong with it like that $2.385m sale in Eastwood.

Listened to a valuer at a CBA Commercial PD day (cant remember his name but he was ex Aussie cricket player) that mentioned the older more experienced valuers are retiring and the young bloods are coming through. The anomalies noted on vals could be related to inexperienced valuers erring on the side of caution?

Had one just the other week.

10 bidders - so there was competition.

Valuation came back $90k under purchase price!

Jamie

My rule of thumb, when I am valuing an auction purchase that looks high (based on available sales evidence) is to ask where the third last bidder dropped out.

If the last two bid it up into the stratosphere I usually pull it back. If they went up an amount above the third bidder that is acceptable then I rubber stamp it. If it is at the upper end of acceptability I may well put a at least one 4 on the risk rating, possibly a 5 or two 4's.

pretty much spot on

got a couple of vals back in middle to outer NW sydney burbs with the following style comments

because English is not my first language, and im seeing a stock shortage and a robust market, can someone pls explain to me what these comments might actually mean ?

ta
rolf

ta
rolf

ok here it is.

Market considered inconsistent: Translation; There have been a few high sales but not enough as yet for me to be able to truly justify this price if I am taken to court. There are still a few sales that do not support this price.

Uncertain Market Conditions: Translation; The market has picked up very quickly, probably due to a reduction in interest rates, if the RBA raises rates then this rise could well come to a grinding halt and these recent prices may look high.

Basically the valuer is saying that "holy hell the market that has been dormant, and flat after falling has jumped". Not just a nice steady slow increase but jumped a lot. Valuers need to be able to justify the valuation figure (not the purchase price) based on analysis of (hopefully recent) sales evidence and if the valuer went to court with the available sales evidence the mortgage insurers barrister would fry them as analysis of the sales evidence cannot really justify the prices.

For example. I recently rubber stamped a vacant land with a 4 or two in it. There was one other sale that justified the price but that was it. Not enough sales evidence to justify the price in court.

Two weeks later I rubber stamped the contract on another block of land around the corner that sold for $50k less that was available for sale at the time the previous sale was effected. I was feeling a bit worried about the first rubber stamping effort.

Then came the query from valex that the purchaser thought the property was worth more than the price they paid and felt I should have valued the property higher. I did not consider just 2 sales to be sufficient evidence of a shift in the market, thinking that they could have just been a couple of keen buyers as shown by this lower contract price.

I asked them to provider evidence as to why they felt I should value the property above the purchase price (the asking price had been below the purchase price of the other block). They came back with three sales, the one I had valued, the other one and one I had not seen. The third sale was over 6 months old and I had not searched further back as I had rubber stamped the contract.

This changed the game as far as I was concerned. Two sales are not enough to hang my hat upon, but three, well yes that is sufficient. I rang my manager and talked with him and he agreed with me changing the figure. I raised the val figure above purchase price (probably with a 4 or two on the risk rating). If it wasn't for the older sale I would not have moved, come what may. However I felt I had enough evidence to justify the valuation figure (as opposed to purchase price) if I am taken to court.

I trust this helps.

Reactions: Sim
Back