Values in Holland

Hi All
My friend has just been notified that he has inherited a house in Holland by a realative he never ever new.
How would we be able to find out the values in that particular area?

Pumeren....Vandarm

Not only has he got himself a house but a whole new set of relatives who have a lot of family photos and history of his fathers family which is the really nice part of it all.

Thanks yadreamin

Serious reply

Interested in the answer myself. I imagine the rules of property investing are largely global in nature.

Try finding a local real estate agent would be my first choice for investigation. A lot of Dutch people tend to speak English better than Australians, and if you have ever heard Dutch spoken you will understand why.

Getting back on track.. the first place you mentioned (Pumeren) doesn't even register in Google, and Vandarm registers so few hits it isn't worth while.

A map of the Netherlands does give the spelling Pumerend; there is a place called Volendam nearby- could this be "Vandarm"? I have been there- we stayed overnight in nearby Edam. (BTW, did you realise that Edam is made backwards?) It was a small town, quite old, very typically Dutch.

A Google on "Volendam Real Estate" is much more useful. Remax Netherlands has three properties, ranging from 199,000 Euro for a condo to 349,000 Euro for a detached house.

That should provide some info for further searching.

Thanks for that geoffw

l had done a few search,s on google but no luck thought someone on the forum would be able to help and as usual they "you" did.

My friend is of the understanding that it is a house on 1/2 or 1 acre block.
.So looks like he will get a $ or two out of it.

cheers yadreamin

I don't know if my info is accurate- but it may be a useful pointer in the right direction (and perhaps he might get a laugh to boot).

The next question, once he's determined property value, is to determine rentals. Perhaps it will be more valuable to him as a rental than as a sale- although the lure of a quick buck can be very strong.

But a house on that size block is not likely to be in town. Many of the houses in towns are very close together- terraces are extremely common. He needs a lot more info- possible REA links could help him to find out more info.

And perhaps a copy of Jan Somers' book could help point him in a good direction.

Hi yadreamin,

I worked in Holland for a couple of yrs. I seem to remember that 60%+ of the population rented because housing was so expensive. And since it is the most densely populated country in the EU land is v. valuable.

Sell it quick before the sea level rises any more.......

KJ

rent out or sell?

Hi,
My uncle was the caretaker of the big church in Edam and I have another uncle living in Volendam. My understanding is that the laws concerning rentals are heavily in favour of the tenants so be careful if you rent it out and then want to sell...

cheers,

Back