Valve Bluray?

The valves are for the amplifier.

Valves are what most older top end amplifiers used until solid state electronics provided cheaper alternatives for amplification. Purists still claim Valves are much cleaner.

Doubtful of their benefit on a basic 3 in 1 unit but the writeup was good....

The valves are for the amplifier.

Valves are what most older top end amplifiers used until solid state electronics provided cheaper alternatives for amplification. Purists still claim Valves are much cleaner.

Doubtful of their benefit on a basic 3 in 1 unit but the writeup was good....

I know what valves are, I studied electrical engineering...

Valve amplifies are less reliable, less power efficient and less accurate than transistor amps. The difference is that the distortion from valves is even-order harmonics, whereas transistors make odd-order harmonics. Even harmonics sound nicer to our ears, odd harmonics sounds harsh. But since even quite cheap transistor amps produce 0.001% distortion it's pretty moot.

It's like tasting water from two wells where one is cleaner but has a bit of sulphur so the is a slight metallic taste, the other has a lot of impurities but it's common salt so it happens to taste nicer.

I know what valves are, I studied electrical engineering...

Valve amplifies are less reliable, less power efficient and less accurate than transistor amps. The difference is that the distortion from valves is even-order harmonics, whereas transistors make odd-order harmonics. Even harmonics sound nicer to our ears, odd harmonics sounds harsh. But since even quite cheap transistor amps produce 0.001% distortion it's pretty moot.

It's like tasting water from two wells where one is cleaner but has a bit of sulphur so the is a slight metallic taste, the other has a lot of impurities but it's common salt so it happens to taste nicer.

Sorry - didn't know whether you were posting from a "I know what a valve amp is' or 'have a look at this interesting gadget' point of view!

Never had a valve amp myself but always wanted one to play with. If I did buy one it would be a standalone amp however....

Word association is a funny thing. As soon as you mention "valve" and "blue" my mind automatically thinks "Hughes and Kettner" ....

The Y-man

Back