Vasectomy... advise me I am scared.

Maybe it's easy to get it reversed, by I think it's much easier to just use a condom and pull out early = 99.999% prevention

That's just nuts. Its a tiny little operation, that hardly even hurts. 99.999% prevention..?? That's nuts too. I'll bet there a billion people alive on the planet right now who were pullouts.:D A few million walking the streets who were busted rubbers. :)

I didn't realise that a married couple would use a condom! Incredible. What a downer that would be. It's like having a shower in a raincoat.

I'd get the operation done for just a month worth of not pulling out or using a rubber, let alone for the rest of your life.

I'll even go as far as say that any bloke who would not get it done is very very selfish after all a women goes through. It's just a tiny little bit of payback that is very easy and painless.

See ya's.

Seems like an extreme step to take, it's not like you are that old either.

I'm not wishing you bad luck, but things happen, such as divorce or death, what if for whatever reason you were to remarry one day? What if she's still in her thirties, and wants to have a child?

There are a few reliable ways of avoiding pregnancy without having to cut anyone.

I am 44 this year.

No need for another child as we orginally planned to have none but it seems we are very fertile. Other methods did work and have worked until Bella who was a combination of no protection and champayne and "she be right". Maybe unprotectred 4 times in 25 years together and bingo, a lovely girl. At 38 if you do the math, a chance of concieving is like 5%. :rolleyes:

As I age, I find other methods can ...errr .."reduce the mood;)" and we miss the spontanaity. Pill worked for years but long term use affect concerns us. And she can always be sick and vomit it up unexpectively.

On Age, wife is 44 as well and the issues for her of a pregnancy at this age is risky and then we would be new parents again at 45! Paying for child at Uni when aged 65 plus? No thanks.

FYI Peter

Peter,
Does your wife know you are asking this question over the www ??
Not the kind of question I would be asking the world about - thats for sure :eek:

Agree. FYI wifey would send me in tomorrow AND provide the razor blade:D

I think I suggested the thread to her.

Peter

Do they have any kind of minimum age for this or can anyone with a scrotum get it?

No but docs are reluctant unless you have kids as I found in 32 when we considerd it.

Docs think you will change your mind or remarry due to divorce or loss.

In my case my wife was the one not wanting kids so I think our Doc was less keen due to the bold points. FYI my wife dotes on our daughter now and loves being a mum. But this is 12 years later and career satisfaied.

Peter

Yep, first consult, the doc pretty much talked me out of it.

"what if your house got wiped out with your wife and kids in it, what would you do then?" sort of things!

Anyway, I got over that and said, well, this is life as I know it, disasters may come, I'll deal with it then, not worry now about what might happen.

So it took me 6-8 months from 1st consult to getting the job done.

Sister of a friend really wanted to marry and have children and didn't meet Mr Right until she was about 30. Her Mr Right, however, didn't want children and had the snip about or just after they met.

I always thought it sad that this lady had to choose between having the man she loved, or moving on and finding another Mr Right :(.

They are still together after nearly 20 years, no children, but I used to think it would be sad if the marriage ended with her in her 40's and she would be left with no Mr Right and no desperately desired child.

Of course, it is possible that seeing the "fun" her sister was having with teenagers may have made the tough choice she made a little more bearable.

i'm seriously considering it. i have the most paranoid irrational fear of anything breaking my skin - so needles are just plain "pass out" material.

so here's my little head conversation.

"i can do it. yeah, it's easy - just think of england, actually, why would you think of england - it's cold, grey, full of people with bad breath and equally bad teeth and then there's the..."

"...we're just going to administer the anaesthetic now..."

*cold sweat*

"..now just hold still..."

"...doc i don't think that's such a good idea..."

"sorry?"

*puke*

"....nurse! we need a ...."

*puke*

"...are you okay?..."

*pass out*

*wake up*

"...well, that didn;t go very well. maybe we should just book you in for a general and an overnight."

"sounds good doc, but can i have the general in tablet form?"

i'm seriously considering it. i have the most paranoid irrational fear of anything breaking my skin - so needles are just plain "pass out" material.

LOL! That is hilarious, I am the same. I am SO glad I don't want children, because even if I did, I don't think I'd be able to go through with it. Just hearing other people's stories of childbirth makes my stomach turn, don't think I could EVER go through it no matter what. PHEW, it's an easy decision for me though. I have nieces and a nephew who are adoreable, so I'm happy to leave it at that; my life stays easy, I don't have to rip my body apart and I still get the joy of children without the commitment. ;)

LOL! That is hilarious, I am the same. I am SO glad I don't want children, because even if I did, I don't think I'd be able to go through with it. Just hearing other people's stories of childbirth makes my stomach turn, don't think I could EVER go through it no matter what. PHEW, it's an easy decision for me though. I have nieces and a nephew who are adoreable, so I'm happy to leave it at that; my life stays easy, I don't have to rip my body apart and I still get the joy of children without the commitment. ;)

Ahhh, Biggles. I hear ya!
I too NEVER wanted kids (happy to admit I was too selfish & didn't particularly like them unless they were 'well-trained').

The whole deal turned me off...getting fat....why o why would any sane person do it?

Then 'the accident' happened...& yes, pregnancy was as awful as I imagined. I was not the 'glowing' mum to be. The only good thing was that I had boobs for the first time in my life!:D:cool:

Fast forward 10 months...love my lil girl like nothing else...still really dislike other peoples' children...I do believe I'm the only one with a smile plastered on my face, looking at my friends' devil-spawn thinking 'will the damn thing sit down & shut up & no, it's not cute, it's ugly & noisy & I'm not amused? When can we open another bottle of red & turn up the music?'

Ok, in reality there are some cute ones, but don't be fooled that you're suddenly transformed by becoming a parent & you now see the true wonder of the universe just because you've popped out a kid. I think people lie about how great it is (physically & emotionally) otherwise no woman in her right mind would ever go through it again!!!

Don't mean to sound horrible, I'm sure there are mums out there who love it, but not all of us are like that...just being honest

So....to vasectomy boy, go the cut. It can't be as bad as having your stomach sliced open & a human being pulled outta you...I imagine it's a teensy weensy scar compared to the one I'm sporting:p

Last edited:
That's just nuts. Its a tiny little operation, that hardly even hurts.

I didn't say it was a big operation or that it hurts alot - you are nuts.

99.999% prevention..?? That's nuts too. I'll bet there a billion people alive on the planet right now who were pullouts. A few million walking the streets who were busted rubbers. :)

I didn't say rubbers alone were 99.999% effective, and you'll find that many busted rubbers are a result of poor use & application. Again, you are nuts.

I didn't realise that a married couple would use a condom! Incredible. What a downer that would be. It's like having a shower in a raincoat.

Yeah, a little bit like that. Notice that I didn't say this was the only option, I said that there were a few, another being the pill & pulling out early. You might want to read things a little more carefully before you start calling people nuts.

I'd get the operation done for just a month worth of not pulling out or using a rubber, let alone for the rest of your life.

Just for a month? You must be nuts, unless you had only one month to live or something like that.

I'll even go as far as say that any bloke who would not get it done is very very selfish after all a women goes through. It's just a tiny little bit of payback that is very easy and painless.

If you deserve payback for all you've put your woman through then that's one thing, but you're nuts if you think you can say that every man should get it done.

As I age, I find other methods can ...errr .."reduce the mood;)" and we miss the spontanaity. Pill worked for years but long term use affect concerns us. And she can always be sick and vomit it up unexpectively.

Well I must say that if you guys are in your 40's, and things are still spontaneous, then you're doing pretty well I think :cool:

I hope getting the snip isn't a spontaneous decision :eek: What did the poor guy ever do to you :confused:

LOL! That is hilarious, I am the same. I am SO glad I don't want children, because even if I did, I don't think I'd be able to go through with it. Just hearing other people's stories of childbirth makes my stomach turn, don't think I could EVER go through it no matter what.
I'm 30something weeks pregnant :p

Fortunately I'm having one of those utterly trouble-free pregnancies that everyone wants and not very many people actually get (didn't get it the first two times either). Don't have any horror birth stories either, I'm hoping this one goes pretty much exactly the same as the last one (but not at 3am please).

The biggest problem with being pregnant is at the end of it you get a wriggly thing to take home with you that gets bigger and then *has* to help reconfigure the computer, cook dinner, use power tools etc ... and complained vigorously about the "big, heavy tomato" I bought today. It was a small pumpkin :rolleyes:

Ahh. Childbirth. From my singular experience

1. the nurses and docs are angels
  2. it is not all "kumbaya and dolphin song".
  3. use a serious (read equipped) Hospital

I remember my wife in very early labour arriving at the RPA birthing centre expecting a water birth in the spa, only to hear the "Screams" from the birth underway next door. Relaxing, not!

However our little angel ended that option when she decided to play "lets drop my fetal heart rate every now and then game" Alarms go off. People arrive. End result: no water birth- move to birthing ward!

On that note, I am still astounded at the experience we got at Royal Prince Alfred in Camperdown SYDNEY a public hospital. Private room, ultra modern and clean, no cost, however what sticks in mind (and brings me to almost tears even now) is the professional care we received.

After the second heart rate drop, the nurse, without panic, said quietly “we will get some help here”. I never saw her press a button but a doctor and three other nurses arrived from “out of the thin air” and wife and daughter where plugged into every machine under the sun and tested for all issues in about 3 minutes flat. They were awesome.

End result: emergency caesarian after 12 hr labour. One healthy little girl and mum.

FYI ladies, Peter

A few million walking the streets who were busted rubbers. :)
Yeah, that's me! My parents didn't want kids. Thirteen years after they married, the condom broke and I arrived.
...still really dislike other peoples' children...I do believe I'm the only one with a smile plastered on my face, looking at my friends' devil-spawn thinking 'will the damn thing sit down & shut up & no, it's not cute, it's ugly & noisy & I'm not amused? When can we open another bottle of red & turn up the music?'

I understand perfectly, although I am a little different and maybe tainted by my parents rather vocal insults towards children.

I always wanted children and have always loved kids, but don't really like babies that much. Once they are around two - three and you can start to pick up the personalities it is a different thing. I rarely look at a baby and go all gooey (other than my own) especially if it needs a nappy change or is crying.

In saying this, however, one of my nephews has a baby daugher that is the cutest thing ever. She is always smiling and is a really beautiful baby. She is a stunner, unlike most who still resemble monkeys at a year old. I have many nieces & nephews with new offspring, and this is the only one who I would consider georgous.

In saying this, however, one of my nephews has a baby daugher that is the cutest thing ever. She is always smiling and is a really beautiful baby. She is a stunner, unlike most who still resemble monkeys at a year old. I have many nieces & nephews with new offspring, and this is the only one who I would consider georgous.

Monkeys? Yeah, I see that. Personally, I think all babies look like Winston Churchill (without the bow tie and huge eyebrows).

hypnosis_training_winston_churchill.jpg

There's way too much hatred towards babies in the thread :mad:

I think most babies, as in under one year old, are extremely cute, and I bet any of you haters would be ugly in comparison.

i was RIGHT THERE for all three and it's the most wonderous experience ever.

it wasn't ME giving birth so i could deal with it easy.

Well I must say that if you guys are in your 40's, and things are still spontaneous, then you're doing pretty well I think :cool:

I hope getting the snip isn't a spontaneous decision :eek: What did the poor guy ever do to you :confused:

Hey Vincenzo

1. Thanks for the compliment. I blame my wife for staying Hot! We even still hold hands after dating since 16. Awww:p

2. The Snip. Just being practical. Reduce risk of another little one. We talked about it and we enjoy a close marriage and one is enough. Even daughter says she does not want to share us.

3. I think "payback" was lighthearted comment. I dont think any woman truely wants to get even her husband for childbirth.

Regards Peter

There's way too much hatred towards babies in the thread :mad:

I think most babies, as in under one year old, are extremely cute, and I bet any of you haters would be ugly in comparison.

Lighten up! :D We were all babies once! I love them all, even if they ARE ugly!

I would've loved to have another one (not possible now, of course! :D:D) but am content to share in the joy of others... which also means I can hand them back when they poo or spew.

i was RIGHT THERE for all three and it's the most wonderous experience ever.

it wasn't ME giving birth so i could deal with it easy.

LOL! One of the reasons we decided that Hubby would get the vasectomy was because Lil was actually still born from having the cord wrapped around her neck. She was rushed away and we were both extremely traumatised. He saw her come out blue and taken away. He thought we had lost her while I was lying there crying "Where's the baby?" It was a good 15 minutes before anyone came to let us know what had happened. Hubby thankfully didn't say anything to me. He was so emotional there just were no words.

We both decided that neither one of us could go through that again.

Back