vegetation protection overlay

HI All,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience building on a block with a Vegetation Protection Overlay in Monash City Council area (or other areas in Melbourne). Looking for some general advice regarding how "reasonable" the council is with the removal of trees for a new build... Or have you just removed the trees anyway without any specific permit.

I got 5 trees in front of the property and two of them are higher than 10M.

This is what i found from Council but if i go with permit will that stop or what will happen if i cut all without the permit?

YOU DO NOT REQUIRE A PERMIT IF;
• The tree presents an immediate risk of danger, personal injury or damage to property
• The tree is dead
• Is one of the following species; All willow species /Radiata or Monterey Pines/ Evergreen Alders/
Sweet Pittosporums/Desert Ash

Thanks

If the trees meet council's requirements for removal you will require an arborist report to back your case. If you cut them down with out approval you risk a fine. Most tree fellers are pretty green and won't chop down trees without permits.

I just finished cutting several large trees in my property. I didn't tell council. They were massive and dangerous, that's good enough for me.

Arm yourself with an aborist's report

There are a number of reputable arborists around who can prepare a report for you. This is the strongest evidence to use when seeking Council's consent to remove/trim vegetation under a protection overlay.

Here's how to find an internationally accredited arborist: http://www.isa-arbor.com/findanarborist/findanarborist.aspx

Good luck! :)

~

Note: the above is general information and should not be considered as legal advice.

Back