vendor discounting to settle earlier, contract unconditional?

Ok this is a new one for me.

Buying a PPOR, settlement date is 8th of July. Vendor needs to settle at least 4 weeks earlier due to going into retirement home and they wont hold for her. They have now advised her that the home is now ready for her to move in, but she needs the cash from the house for the retirement home.

She is going to get a discount from retirement home if she can settle much earlier, but not told what discount, and the vendor was going to pass the discount onto me to settle earlier.

So i have been asked if i would settle earlier on my contract. My baby is due on the 31st of May, Im a single mum and have a loan approved, but all this would need to go back through the bank again being a earlier settlement date, and this is why i wanted to wait for 6 weeks afterwards, to reduce stress and what not.

But alas, if i do decide to settle earlier, say by 4 weeks, how much of a discount should i ask off the contract price?

I have 2 extra interest repayments in that period, council rates = $1500 and 2 of my pays i was using as extra savings.

I have no idea, what i should ask for... anything from 5K to 10K was my ball park figure... but figured i would ask here.

I'd simply say

Thank you for the offer to move settlement forward. This may be a possibility and I would be happy to review any discount that you would be offering to organise this earlier time frame. If you can submit your discounted offer I can review and will get back to you ASAP.

Something along those lines - leave it with them

What if they offer $20k. You never know, and if they come back and say they have no idea you can either supply your own offer or just say sorry, I'll just stick with current settlement and then wait for them they'll say no worries or make an offer if its that important to them.

Those first couple weeks with a new bub whilst best times, also the worst times, moving house and settling is the last thing you want to do so unless you get something great out of it I'd leave until July that would be a lot more manageable.

If you do not need to move then don't move unless they offer something to warrant doing so.

I dont need to move from where I am living atm. So there is no rush for me to be "out" by a certain date. I was only going to move my stuff over slowly after bub was born anyhow.

Agreed .... let them make the first offer. You have nothing to lose by seeing what they put on the table, whereas they may lose a lot. Good luck, hope you get a great result.

Back