Vendor left asbestos building materials after settlement

OK, The wife and I settled on our first IP on Monday:), got the keys, checked the place out and found the vendor had left some stuff in the property, most of which was not a big deal, some bits of timber, an old door, etc. but I behind the garage at the rear of the property leaning against the fence I found about 10 large sheets of what I would be 99% certain is asbestos, the largest of the sheets is about 3m x 1.5m.
Now in hindsight I know I should have picked this up at pre settlement inspection however when we did the pre settlement inspection on Saturday the vendors hadn't finished moving out so I wouldn't have picked up on anything being left behind anyway. I see now I should have insisted on another inspection on the Monday once the property was empty, I guess I'll know for next time at least.
I rang my convayencer and was basically told we've already settled so too bad so sad. They said they'd look into it but have not bothered to ring me back since.
The cost of removal has been estimated at over 1k, because its over 10sq meters it need a certificate of clearance or some such piece of paper and there is about 3 weeks lead time to get it removed also.

I guess from all this my question is, is it worth or even possible to chase vendor to remove this stuff? Or is this just an expensive lesson for next time and I need to pay to have it removed and move on?

Probably not worth chasing.

Did you know the asbestos was there? If so, its removal should have been mentioned in the contract.
Marg

Unfortunately lesson learned on this one. If you get it removed in 2 smaller lots will that drop the cost and the need for a certificate?

Check with legislation but in some instances you can remove it yourself, as long as you follow procedure. Check your local council website for instruction.

Did they leave a forwarding address?
They obviously just forgot it and i would imagine they would be pretty estatic if you showed up at there house and returned all the sheets to them.

Back