Vendor not allowing early Access

You are entitled to the final inspection before all the money gets handed over at settlement.

absolutely! I checked up on legislation and according to it, its no more then a week before and no less then 2 days, but she denied us early access even though it was on the contract, wouldnt surprise me , if she became uncontactable/unavailable until settlement date

Then delay settlement until she has fullfilled her obligation of allowing a final inspection ... ball in her court.

Then delay settlement until she has fullfilled her obligation of allowing a final inspection ... ball in her court.

Agree. I have done some pre-settlement inspections (in Vic) on the morning of the day of settlement.

In addition to whatever you deem necessary to check Meister, ensure you check all drains are patent and water flows relatively smoothly. All sinks, basin/vanities and toilets. This should also always be done pre-bond release....

Maybe this is her way, to not sell?

Have you get angry, walk away, and they keep the deposit.

She can't pull out and keep deposit as contracts signed and exchanged. The OP can force settlement and is legally entitled to an inspection.

The ball is in her court if she wants to settle smoothly ... the ball is in the OP's court is she plays hard.

Update 2: Final Inspection arranged for 12 tomorrow, would not surprise me if vendor is unavaialble or uncontactable, ill play it by ear, frankly I am not interested in trying to teach her a lesson even though she clearly ignored a legal clause (maybe im getting wiser in my old age..... :D:D:D)

Vendor does not ned to be at the final inspection, you just need the keys. It's YOUR inspection, not theirs.

BTW Player's advice to check toilets etc is not much good at this stage unless you KNOW their condition at exchange. The point of the inspection is to ensure you're getting everything as it was at exchange. If you now discover the aircon is broken, and didn't check it before exchange, it's too late.

Vendor does not ned to be at the final inspection, you just need the keys. It's YOUR inspection, not theirs.

BTW Player's advice to check toilets etc is not much good at this stage unless you KNOW their condition at exchange. The point of the inspection is to ensure you're getting everything as it was at exchange. If you now discover the aircon is broken, and didn't check it before exchange, it's too late.

agree, vendor does not need to be there, but I guess if they wanted to, there is nothing legally stopping them since I havent paid for it,

as for the aircon, if she tries to pull a swifty, even though I dont have a photo of it working, I guess she wont have proof that it was working, as for a legal perspective, I have no idea, but I will play fire with fire when the time comes (maybe I havent grown up as much :D:D:D)

I thought if something was specified as an inclusion in the contract, it would need to be in working condition at settlement. (even if you didnt check it at exchange)

I thought if something was specified as an inclusion in the contract, it would need to be in working condition at settlement. (even if you didnt check it at exchange)

No. Most contracts also have a condition that the vendors do not warranty the inclusions and they are sold in an 'as is' condition.

Update:
very interesting, had final inspection today

I called to confirm the final inspection, agent said it was fine, and they were about to get the keys,

I arrive, to be told only that they hadn't managed to get the keys.

a bit miffed, agent suggests that we go pay lady a visit,

so we do,

I stay in the car, agent tells the vendor that im outside as well,

apparently she forgot.....

we get the keys,

was expecting a bomb site,

all personal possessions are gone, she has cleaned everything, mowed the lawn, even the wall sills had no dust on them

and according to the agent "looks like she has had the carpet professionally cleaned"

and to my surprise the dishwasher was still there!!! although she can still remove it before settlement

Can't believe it, even the agents are shocked about what the hell is has happened over the past few weeks

P.S And she left me a bottle of hand wash:D

Ah nice end to the story after all. You did well, having the carpets cleaned and lawns mowed- more than what most people do before handing over their keys.... Happy moving!:D

Back