Vendors built illegal structure... make them pay?

Well, justice is supposed to be blind. Having your eyes covered makes it difficult to aim your ire properly, I guess.

hrvatski, if you're going to get this worked up every time something 'unjust' happens to you, you're not going to survive in the property game.

I just want a place to live, no interest in investing in the property 'game', so I have all the time and energy to waste in the world. I'm going to pursue the conveyancer and vendors, I'll let you guys know how I go :)

Certain structures are exempt from requiring approvals (in NSW eg. cubby houses, pergolas etc), it may be prudent to check if you're required to get approval or not.

We built a pergola at our place that we believe fell under exempt and complying development. When we put our place on the market Our Conveyancer told us to add to the contract that the structure was not council approved to ensure we didn't hit this issue. It was then up to the purchaser to make their decision based on our transparency.

Is this an issue because it needed a planning permit or a building permit or both?

Pull it down (or as redwing suggested, take the roof off)

Get the council around to inspect.

the either.

1. Put it back up again or

2. Get a draftsman to draw up plans and get a building permit and put it up again.

it may be prudent to check if you're required to get approval or not.

Checked, needs it.

Is this an issue because it needed a planning permit or a building permit or both?

Pull it down (or as redwing suggested, take the roof off)

Get the council around to inspect.

the either.

1. Put it back up again or

2. Get a draftsman to draw up plans and get a building permit and put it up again.

Both (I think). I know taking the roof off now and putting it back up later would temporarily fix the issue, but the same problem would come up when we go to sell in the future. Since we have to get a draftsman and building surveyor involved sooner or later, might as well do it now.

On the bright side, it is looking more and more like I have a strong case against the vendors and agent, as they failed to disclose the council investigation which arose during the conditional offer period.

... and is "vengeance" really worth the stress, cost and time?

Sometimes the best, and hardest, path is just to move on and consider this an important lesson learnt.

Back