Verifying a bank cheque?

Hi,

This might seem like a strange question.. But I want to put my mind to rest. I have someone picking up an expensive item off myself, and they are paying by bank cheque when picking the item up. I have never seen a bank cheque before, how do they work? how do you verify them?

I just don't want to be given a fake cheque and they take off with my item. They are sending a courier, so I have no way to checking their identity.

Regards

Luke

FrankGrimes said:
Hi,

This might seem like a strange question.. But I want to put my mind to rest. I have someone picking up an expensive item off myself, and they are paying by bank cheque when picking the item up. I have never seen a bank cheque before, how do they work? how do you verify them?

Bank cheques are easily forged..

Background on Bank Cheques : http://moneymanager.smh.com.au/tools/factsheets/bank_cheques.html

Example of forged bank cheque story : http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/fake-1m-cheques-fool-bank/2005/09/27/1127804478014.html

Banks used to clear bank cheques immediately, they now take 48hrs, just like normal cheques.. if you suspect anything, err well on the side of caution and either deliver the goods yourself and sight some ID or ask for cash.

Hmm..

Is there an ID number or something on the cheque? so you can call the bank that is underwriting the cheque and make sure its legit?

Thanks

Luke

FrankGrimes said:
Hmm..

Is there an ID number or something on the cheque? so you can call the bank that is underwriting the cheque and make sure its legit?

No idea.. sorry.. there is numbers but I dont know if you can ring and check.. why not call your own bank and get some advice?

FrankGrimes said:

Just like other cheques, bank cheques are numbered.

But just as Duncan says, like other cheques they can be forged, stolen, cancelled, and so on - and, as a result, they can bounce.

As you would a personal cheque:

- never accept a bank cheque from someone you don't know
- get the details (name, address, phone number) of the person giving you the cheque

The capacity to credit bank accounts is so easy these days (via internet), the need to use Bank Cheque's is greatly reduced.

M

FrankGrimes said:
This might seem like a strange question.. But I want to put my mind to rest. I have someone picking up an expensive item off myself..

another simple way is to tell the buyers you will meet the courier
at an branch of the bank that the cheques funds are held that way
you know upfront if the funds are in place to fast/track and cash
the cheque on the day,good luck.
willair.........

Hmm.. I wall call my bank, westpac and see what they think

I asked her to direct deposit the money into my account, however she is nervous about doing this and not getting the item as expected.

I have her name, address and phone number. But she lives in Bathurst, that's why a courier has been involved. She has extensive trading history on ebay and feedback is 100% positive.

FrankGrimes said:
She has extensive trading history on ebay and feedback is 100% positive.

I'm becoming more and more comfortable with larger and larger transactions on ebay based on good feedback history.. especially when you check the trading histories of the people leaving feedback to make sure their own feedback shows varied transactions across many sellers..

What you've described sounds fairly safe.. from a distance at any rate..

Back