Very depressing, yes ... Great Depression, no

http://business.theage.com.au/business/very-depressing-yes--great-depression-no-20081108-5kj0.html

James Kirby
November 9, 2008

IF SOMEONE tells me once more that "we're facing a situation like the Great Depression", I'll scream.

You can't blame the headline writers for getting excited - after all, we haven't had a good old-fashioned stockmarket crash for a very long time. But let's get one thing clear. This is not 1929 when they had to close the crammed gallery of the New York Stock Exchange with people screaming and crying as if they were watching a ship sink.

In fact, if it was 1929 all over again investors would be buying shares with their ears pinned back, because if you look at what actually happened, the stockmarket roared back in the following months after the October crash. Wall Street had regained almost half its losses by June 1930. It was the mid-1930s before things got really rotten - and stayed so with 20%-plus unemployment right through to 1938.

Under normal circumstances we don't have to pay such close attention to US markets - but these are not normal days. For the moment the Australian market is completely dependent on Wall Street for direction… and it's going to stay that way until we see a sustained market recovery.

Every day the disaster alerts roll forth. The International Monetary Fund is the latest unwitting provider of gloom. It was reported on Friday that the venerable - if often irrelevant - world authority suggests the world's developed economies are facing the first full year of economic contraction since the Second World War.

Now that does sound serious and it got plenty of attention. If, again, you actually read the IMF report, it says our current circumstance is not unique. In fact, the report says it is "broadly comparable" to 1975 (oil crisis) and 1982 (high inflation and high unemployment).

The IMF report also says we are on track for a global recovery to begin this time next year; of course, that barely got mentioned anywhere.

I've spent the week reading about market crashes and it's clear the horrors of the 1920s and 1930s - the era of the Great Depression - are so long ago and occurred in such a different political and investment environment they don't help us gauge anything about what might happen now.

The substantial Wall Street crash of the mid-1970s is much more relevant. It was a crash driven primarily by an economic event - the rising price of oil - and occurred when people had television news and, crucially, a developed market with much of the structures we have today. With high inflation, and the Watergate crisis thrown in, Wall Street fell from 1051.70 in January 1973 to 577 in December 1974. This is directly comparable to today - the Dow has dropped from 14,000 this time last year to below 9000.

So what happened to end the 1970s market downturn? They got a new president (Gerald Ford) and slowly but steadily things stabilised. Inflation, the curse of the era, dropped, economic growth picked up and the market found something new to be excited about - computers and pharmaceuticals.

It's disheartening to see the markets fall sharply in the immediate aftermath of Barack Obama getting elected midweek - but the road is long. Markets always recover. They always find something to recover with … it's not just incrementally better GDP … something always comes along … just you wait and see.

Seth Glickenhaus is 94. He's been working on Wall Street since he started as a messenger boy in 1929 and he still goes to work every day. After the Obama election he said: "People don't realise it: bear markets occur in a great hurry. It used to take a year or two, but this time it's taken a matter of months."

Hi Andrew. I know James personally and like you he is in denial of:D.......... are you ready for it..... yes the soft depresession I've been carrying on about on this forum for most of this year.

Fourteen months ago he was shocked when I went from being a very optomistic property bull to a bear that talked then acted on selling property that I did not think I could hold onto during the financial dark times, buying gold as a hedge against our fiat currency, etc ,etc

He has interviewed many of the movers and shakers in the business world. He like you does not understand that most investors are not rational and like lemmings are headed over the cliff.

During the next couple of years we are going to witness the serious repercussions of the world wide financial tragedy that is unfolding. I'm sorry to say worse is coming. We don't have any exposure to the share market but our turn is coming. When investors are irrational no investment vehicle is safe. I'm afraid this time next year is not going to be a good time for us property investors

hahaha! what a cash-in.

i've always said this is NOTHING like the great depression or the OPEC scare. this is like the early 1900s - talks of runs on banks and financial institutions and the scare tactics of the media and scaremongering of Main Street.

which is why it worries me that the bull run AFTER this slide will be the biggest anyone will see in their lifetime. sell up in 2020 - buy gold, barrells of diesel and sell all your assets that aren't positive geared because 2025 will be the crash to kill the world.

which is why it worries me that the bull run AFTER this slide will be the biggest anyone will see in their lifetime. sell up in 2020 - buy gold, barrells of diesel and sell all your assets that aren't positive geared because 2025 will be the crash to kill the world.

If things were to get that bad I'd be buying guns, horses, chickens etc, not diesel and gold

His current book is entitled The Great Depression Ahead and his last book was called The Great Boom Ahead. Mmmmmm...... :confused:

Its not his last book.The Great Boom Ahead was first published nearly 15 years ago. I suggest you read it because his predictions were amazingly accurate.

If he is only half right about the coming depression starting in 2010 then the world will not be a very nice place to live for near on a decade.

Hi, what boom? I did read The Roaring 20s and the Great Boom Ahead. In fact, I was so impressed I bought another one to give my sister.

He said the Dow would cross 20000 & quite specifically as to when it would too. I was quite impressed by the charts specially the population ones.

Unless it happened while i was sleeping, I don't recall the kind of boom that he suggested. Unless we believe that the AllOrds crossing 6000 was that boom. But the time was not right. The crest of the boom was not supposed to be until the mid baby boomers [like me] turn 60.

He's not the worst writer I've read & some info is quite interesting. But in the light of what's happening, I'm glad I thought 6000 was where the AllOrds would meet with serious downfall.

I also read his newer books. Didn't like them as much as his first ones.

Regards, [will be grateful if someone can definitively say when the recovery will begin!]

Ky

Back