VIC - inner north east - eaglemont,ivanhoe,heidelberg etc

Hi all,

I would be interested to hear opinions on inner nrth east suburbs of Melbourne. Looks like a good growth area as as these suburbs are very close to the city and leafy without the very high prices in the inner east [hawthorn,kew,toorak] or the inner sth east [brighton,st kilda etc]

heres my quick summary of the suburbs..

Eaglemont - most pricey in the area, designed by burley griffen, city and mountain views, hilly, leafy and has a english country feel - 8KM to city

East Ivanhoe - similar to above but not as pricey - less views generally. Closer to eastern fwy

Ivanhoe - similar to east ivanhoe but more units/flats and shops/schools. Less pricey too

Heidelberg - next rung down - not as leafy. Some have great views of mountains, good shoping strip on burgrundy rd, lots of apartments/units coming up near rosanna rd

Rosanna - cheaper again - good mountain views from certain roads. shopping strip is poor when compared to heidelberg and ivanhoe

My long term goal is to move into eaglemont :cool: - such a pretty suburb!

Hi primaus,

I've been looking at all of these suburbs for the last 6 months or so for a PPOR, much harder than I thought.

Very little supply of decent properties, even in the cheaper suburbs.

Agree Eaglemont is the nicest of the lot.

But you're looking at ~1.1M for an old unrenovated 3 bedder here which needs work.

Good luck.

Public transport is the only thing that goes against the areas compared to the inner SE / inner E - there's effectively only one mode (train) into town - and they don't run express - which can add to travel time.

Ivanhoe has a pricey area close to the staiton, and the cheaper Darebin Ck end (across Bell St from Heidy West)

Rosanna has been traditionally cheaper as it falls into Zone 2 (Heidy is the last zone 1).

The Y-man

ahh the painful memories.

In 1996 I wanted to buy (as PPOR) a 5 bed 2 bath single level house on 1600sqm of land with inground pool and triple lock up carport, accessed via one of the private parks above the cutting of Lower Heidelberg Rd in Eaglemont.

The then wife (soon thereafter ex wife) liked it but refused to buy it as it was too close to her sisters place.

Could have got it for $350k then. No way could I ever afford to buy it now.

P

Ivanhoe has a pricey area close to the staiton, and the cheaper Darebin Ck end (across Bell St from Heidy West)

The Y-man

That area used to be known as Ivanhoe west, but was part of Ivanhoe, just like Eaglemont was part of Ivanhoe in the early 1990's.. from memory. It was one suburb where you could find houses ranging from $100k to $1m with the same suburb name but massively different characteristics.

One of the issues with the Eaglemont/ Ivanhoe area is that it doesn't have a high school of it's own. Yes good private fee paying schools in the two Grammar schools but you used to have a choice of Bellfield-Banksia high school (from memory) - now Banksia-LaTrobe College which had Heldelbeg West housing comission area students and was not well regarded or through convention students from Ivanhoe and Eaglemont were usually accepted into Kew High School.

Pretty much still the same situation with regards to high school I think .. Ivanhoe/Eaglemont does however have some good primary schools.

All good solid areas.

For Ivanhoe and Heidelberg (at least) the central and eastern parts of these suburb is more highly favoured than the west.

The east is quieter and nearer the river (research flood histories!) and central is nearer the station. The west contains more modest homes - sometimes ex housing commission.

But out of all the ex-housing commission areas in Melbourne's middle ring suburbs, Heidelberg West would be second only to Chadstone for proximity to much dearer suburbs and the CBD.

All are handy to Latrobe Uni, hospitals around Heidelberg and not far from Norflands so the location is prime.

There are trains to the city, with direct buses also available in the west. Central Heidelberg has good cross-suburban buses as well, including the 903 smartbus orbital route.

Our 'end game' PPOR is river front in Ivanhoe/Alphington/Fairfield...tightly held blocks and ever increasing in price :eek:

Primaus - you are spot on with your suburb observations. Eaglemont/Ivanhoe East are the most expensive. However most of Eaglemont and Ivanhoe East (ie. around The Boulevard) are not too close to a train station.

Heidelberg is great if you could buy within walking distance to the station/shops/Austin hospital. If its for an IP, you will never be short of professional working tenants.

Public transport is the only thing that goes against the areas compared to the inner SE / inner E - there's effectively only one mode (train) into town - and they don't run express - which can add to travel time.

Rosanna has been traditionally cheaper as it falls into Zone 2 (Heidy is the last zone 1).
The Y-man

Given Melbourne metro sprawl is expanding - I would think zone 1 could also expand to include early zone 2 suburbs like Rosanna. Thoughts?

Given Melbourne metro sprawl is expanding - I would think zone 1 could also expand to include early zone 2 suburbs like Rosanna. Thoughts?

Very unlikely.

It's down to a government decision.

Public transport loses money and there's a big backlog of transport projects that need to be paid for.

Change Rosanna and everyone else will want the same deal - St Albans, Epping, Box Hill, Doncaster, Mt Waverley, Clayton, Moorabbin, Sandringham etc.

And you're talking big dollars to give them cheaper fares.

When government does play with fares it's generally increasing the proportion of people who get concession or free travel. And handouts to seniors (not all of whom are particularly needy) to win votes.

Back