Vic speeding fine - don't give a stuff ?

I think I might have the misfortune today zapped by a speed camera (I am sure the govt do this for road safety, put a camera on a 60 Kph four lane street. I would not have more than 3 speeding tickets in my 30 yrs of driving, it was few seconds of lapse of concentration). I am moving to QLD permanently in few days time, do I have to pay the fine or don't really have to give a continental ?
p.s. always wondering what happens when one got speeding fine interstate.

Last edited:
You'd still have to pay the fine, i would pressume, and it's best to than getting chased down.

I heard that if you have an interstate licence you get fined, but you don't lose demerits. Which i am looking forward to greatly because it's too easy to lose your licence these days.

They'll send you a nice photograph of your car with a "please pay".

I'm not going to lecture but you DID the wrong thing, pay the fine.

Yes, you certainly have to pay the fine. The Qld police tracked me down 5 years after leaving Vic with a speeding fine that I wasn't aware of!

Yes, you certainly have to pay the fine. The Qld police tracked me down 5 years after leaving Vic with a speeding fine that I wasn't aware of!
Used to live in a house where one of the many previous tenants was getting interstate speeding fines. Then more. Then interstate court appearance requests ... more ... more ... MORE ... there were so many of them, running to 2 or 3 inches thick of speeding fine related mail each week that I taped up the letterbox.

So yeah, they do want you to pay :)

If you transfer your license over to QLD, don't bother.. they will only suspend your Vic driver's license which is no big deal if you already have one interstate.

If you transfer your license over to QLD, don't bother.. they will only suspend your Vic driver's license which is no big deal if you already have one interstate.

My situation above was after transferring license and rego to Qld from Vic.

They will track you down and enforce the fine.

You'd still have to pay the fine, i would pressume, and it's best to than getting chased down.

I heard that if you have an interstate licence you get fined, but you don't lose demerits. Which i am looking forward to greatly because it's too easy to lose your licence these days.[/QUOTE]

hmmmmm

All states are linked. There are still a few very strange loop holes. But not to avoid a simple speeding fine, if you don't pay the fine it will catch up with you later on (I'm still waiting for my 2nd reminder from NSW that was over 18 months ago, still havent lost the points!!).

Not sure how it works in QLD, but ACT and NSW make you surrender your interstate license to get a local one. In other words - you can't have two licenses on the go at once. Theoretically, they also transfer over any demerit points as you move back and forth, although I have heard this is a bit hit and miss. (I didn't get to test this as I didn't have any points either time).

Bornfree,

If you licence is suspended by the Victorian Debt Recovery Agency (whatever you guys call them) then your VIC licence will not be valid in QLD.

Your VIC licence is not valid in QLD if it is suspended, cancelled, expired or disqualified by court order

If you drive whilst suspended (VIC debt recovery agency suspension,) your authority to drive in QLD is withdrawn and you are unlicenced to drive in QLD.

Your authority to drive in QLD on a valid VIC driver licence is withdrawn 3 months after taking up residency.

Queensland Transport (similar to VIC Roads) will not issue you with a QLD licence whilst your licence is suspended.

Get picked up once, and you're off to court. Get picked up another time and it's off to court and your car will be absent for 48hrs. And so on and so on.....

QLD speed cameras give you 9 km/h for free but the 10th one costs you (10km for free in 110 km/h zone.

We're a bit more laid back up here.

I I am moving to QLD permanently in few days time, do I have to pay the fine or don't really have to give a continental ?

If this is just a car licence you will be responsible to Vic, but if it's a heavy vehicle licence it's federal and Australia wide, so they will get you anywhere.

i could empathise with you when you said few seconds of lapse in concentration. How easy is it to be thinking of differnt things and then notice we are over he limit . is it possible to drive without this ever happening. And as someone else said its too easy to lose a licence these days. so many thousands lose them per year. is that really irresponsible driving or is there something wrong with the system taht doesnt make room for lapses in focusing on the speed here and there.

If you lose your license due to accumulation of demerit points, that is a lot more than a few lapses of concentration.

Totally off the topic, but this conversation reminded me of a friend in England.

He had been drinking and on the way home, broadsided into a police vehicle checking speed.

He lost his English licence for all sorts of reasons (obviously).

But his international licence was still intact. So, at least at that stage, he could drive anywhere else but England.

Back